Qt3 Classic Game Club #5: Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams

rezaf – I think through the magic of isometric artwork your eye is turning the canals of Mars into walls of Mars! :)

Restoring power is one of the major quest paths, and it contributes a lot to making mobility through the world easier, by letting you open some extra bridges and by activating the transport tube rooms next to each city. As KaoFloppy points out, it’s powered by steam. Which requires water. So if you get some leads regarding releasing a water source, try to follow those. I think you’ll have to do some… work… in Elysium to complete that project.

UPDATE: I think I was wrong. You can get power running without water. You just need access to Olympus and you need to explore the right place. Happy to give some non-spoilery hints if anyone needs them. It’s definitely one of the first big things you want to do. Makes the rest of the game a lot easier.

You can change your party members’ approach to combat with the control at the bottom of each of their inventory screens. One of those is Flee. But the most reliable way to tell them what to do is to put them all on Command (CMD) and control each manually. This is what I do.

Yeah, I since ran across my first bridge, so that ought to be the case. Then I wish to rephrase my complaint: Who had the retarded idea to seperate Mars by means of impassable channels? (Better?)

Thanks, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing as well. I’m not entirely sure if even this can save my group from the clutches of the various overpowering (at the very least at this stage) enemies there are, but it’s worth a try.

So far I have to agree with Chuck a bit, though - the game definately feels a bit like fan fiction. That almost everyone you run into is somehow a celebrity of the era got old very fast, for example (and let’s not forget having Warren Spector as a follower). It doesn’t help that making players care about characters was not yet invented (or at least commonly used) in the name-job-bye days. Who cares if that ammo-dispenser is called Buffalo Bill?
Also, what I’ve seen so far of the depiction of Mars itself is kinda weaksauce, even disregarding the channel-walls. The abandoned city/base you can freely roam has NOTHING of much interest in it.

rezaf

FYI: If you ask Captain Dibbs, or whatever his name is ‘bridges’, he’ll tell you some ones he knows.

Yesterday I killed some giant 2-square dinosaur thing, crossed a bridge and then had some excessive struggle with a cactus. Took a long time to kill it all. The shotgun has a very lethal spread on it that often clips your own people!

The combat is less clunky than Darksiders, but it’s still crap. I have no idea who is going to go next, and I often forget that I have a gun equipped (+ sword) so when I press ‘A’ it asks me who I want to shoot… but I don’t want to waste bullets. Press A again or escape just skips their turn :/ Pretty unforgiving.

I think I’ll have to side with Chuck again on this one.

Well, not really. I don’t think it’s the combat itself that’s awful, but that there’s so many enemies that come in HUGE numbers or (re)spawn out of thin air as long as you move three meters away.

Picture of the day:

rezaf

Those cacti can come in irritatingly large groups, but that one is especially large. So can the jumping beans. There are a couple strategies to dealing with them:

1: Run away! This is what I usually do with the cacti. If they get a hit in and initiate combat mode, just hit B to break combat and keep moving as a group. You can usually outrun them.

2: Especially if you can channel them a little with the terrain, keep most of your group behind the Avatar and let him take on the enemies with either a shotgun (BTW, I think high intelligence keeps you from shooting your friends) or double melee weapons. Again, if they get a hit in, break combat immediately and keep swinging. The Avatar can usually take the beating.

Most of the individual enemies, especially the swarmers, are pushovers to kill and often graze you when they attack. So you’re not in much danger. Usually.

These encounters get frustrating, I completely agree. And after awhile they really don’t add anything to the game. I actually have started to learn where they show up and walk around them. For instance, there’s a pack of cacti as you head into Noctis Labyrinthis that I can just skirt by and leave behind in the narrow canyons.

So I actually quite like the U6 combat system for how relatively straightforward it is. I do wish there were some indicator of initiative order, but once you’re used to it being unpredictable I don’t find it to be that big of an issue. I assume that initiative is based off of INT or DEX? But the manual doesn’t seem to address it.

For me the bigger question is whether combat, particularly the random encounters, add much to the game. I think what it contributes is minor, and often outweighed by the frustration of getting out of them without spending a ton of time with little benefit. There’s never any loot! What a huge difference that makes in how you feel about combat.

Similarly with the RPG mechanics. Do the stats and leveling up really add much here? At least in that case, there’s not really a downside–you just keep getting more powerful. But having a competent team from the beginning, maybe with skills in different types of weaponry… that would work just as well for what the game is, at heart, really trying to do. So there I think you have an artifact of this game expressly being an offshoot of the Ultima series for business reasons, but that rationale maybe running counter to what the designers wanted to do. Now, personally, I would much rather play this game than Ultima 6–because of the setting and characters, but also because of the structure and the storytelling.

About the storytelling: I would never have thought of the fan-fic comparison, but I think it is cleverly put and close to the truth. But, hey, fan-fic is entertaining, right? It’s just only entertaining to people with a certain knowledge or obsession. So maybe it’s just a story for history nerds. How many games from the time (if they even had coherent stories)–or even today–aren’t stories for Tolkein nerds or military nerds or whatever? Darklands is less about the story, but even with it: if I didn’t care about what life was like in the historical middle ages… why would I engage with that at all?

I promise that it gets to be a deeper story as you get into what happened to the Martians. I won’t ask you to stick with it until then, but I hope the game itself inspires you enough to get there.

Savage Empire is also free. Did spam spam humbug work in these two games?0

I would also recommend Savage Empire, although it’s more combat focused and has a lot less George Washington Carver.

I never knew about spam spam humbug. I don’t know if they work. Do you say them to a character?

In Ultima VI, it unlocked the cheat/debug menu. 255 was the 1-hit-kill Glass Sword if I recall correctly.

Found my old copy of the game.

Ahh, handwritten notes.

And NOTES! Beautiful! I’m jealous of that map.

Do you not like the jpeg you can download from gog? :P

Well, I’ve never had a paper map. I think my first version of this game was pirated, if I remember correctly. In fact, this little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me I’m cheating using the map because it remembers having to just learn the map by exploring and fumbling through. (Which is a terrible way to play the game, in case you were wondering.)

Did you know the model for the/your avatar was Starr Long with all those luscious locks? Now he’s bald!

Man, Martian Dreams - now that takes me back!

A steampunk RPG set on Mars with characters like Freud/Carnegie/Twain would never be greenlit by a major studio today. The only way it would ever get made is if some indy team Kickstarted it (though Origin circa 1992 was probably closer to an indy team than a modern AAA studio, both in size and in attitude.)

HumanTon – I think even the little indy team these days would be more mature than Origin, who is constantly putting fantasy garb on their employees and calling them NPCs, as if they’re still playing D&D in their basement or something. I mean, after awhile I guess it’s just an Ultima tradition. But it’s a little dopey seeing it every time.

Everyone – I’m a little hesitant to talk too much about the game before anyone has dug in a bit and seen a good chunk of the story. That’s assuming there’s anyone out there who is planning to do so. Anyone playing and want to share where they’re at?

I’m just getting started. popped in briefly before reading the manuals, mainly to see what the manuals would be talking about. Will start to dig in in earnest tonight. Initial impressions: I’m not feeling particularly charitable to the game. The interface is really tough for me to use, and my desire to learn another obscure old RPG interface is at a low ebb from Darklands. Still it has Tesla, and I’ll try and at least pull trough to see him.

+1

Sorry.

Heh, good thing for you that Tesla is basically the Martian Dreams version of Lord British - as in, the first guy you meet when you start the game. ;)

I can only play this game in VERY short bursts before I get bored or annoyed or both. I venture in one direction and then have to follow an empty canal for an eternity, only to run into a huge group of moving cactuses that dispose of parts of my party.
Restore the game, run off into another direction, just shy of my target coordinates, another canal that forces me into a huge detour. Boom, a thing comes out from under the sand like it’s friggin’ Dune, 'cept that has like twenty tentacles. Another reload.
Then, travelling around as if there was a “I’m feeling lucky” option in Mars-Google maps I mysteriously reach my destination. A shack where some wild west celebrities have opened up a provision shop. Then a mine with Iolo Shamino and Dupre impostors. A weird city thing with more historical celebrities. Lots of parser based conversations - there should be a always visible buzzword list, memorizing (or even writing down) these words is a bit much to ask. Uhuh, ok Mr. Pres … err … Roosevelt. Rasputin sabotaged the moon cannon you said? Lemme write that down. What, I’m supposed to do more canal-tracing and try to find another four or five locations, possibly restoring power and/or refilling the canals. Mkay. There’s some of these thingies that pass for money and/or allow for breathing underground(?). Yay, Mars is a communist oasis and I can snag everyones stuff from right under their noses (I guess the concept of ownership was only invented in Ultima VII). So, at least I’ve five somewhat decently equipped dudes now that can hold their own in lesser fights. Ah, the same level-up dream again. More parser based conversations. Randolph Hearst, huh? Selling me crappy martian spoons, but refusing to buy them from me? Great, as if I would want to purchase those. Martian primates - at long last an enemy that can be defeated with relative ease. Rejoyce. And so on and so forth.
I don’t know if I can manage to stick with this game until something noteworthy happens ingame. I guess why I only ever returned to Ultima VII - it’s engine is like from another century compared to this.

rezaf

I installed the GoG version I grabbed a while back when I saw this round of the game club starting up, but I’ve only messed around a little bit so far. I haven’t read through the manuals yet and spent some time figuring out the interface and getting out of the ship. I wandered west for a while and found a city filled with jumping beans and junk I don’t know the use for that is slowly filling up my three characters’ inventory. I then committed suicide by attacks some floating squids. I’ll probably look through the manuals and restart with a better understanding sometime this week.

Some thoughts so far: The only other Ultima that I’ve played before is IV, and I loved it because it felt so huge with the keyword-based character interaction, the world and city maps, and all the secrets. I actually love typing the keywords into these games since it makes the system feel so open-ended without the frustration of figuring out a parser for more interactive fiction kind of games.

That said, I’m not really a huge steampunk afficianado, so I don’t know if this is going to keep me going. I’m having a hard time juggling all of the stuff I’m picking up and managing where it’s going on which character. The fact that GET always picks the item up with my main character, the limited slots in an inventory, and the MOVE command taking three or four steps to move it to another character for every item is starting to get old. I’d like to explore some more before I call it quits, though.

This! I am stuck exactly here, after Tesla sent me to get the prybar in the hold, I picked up a metric ton of knives and men’s clothes instead (my avatar is a she). I skipped the reference guide, so I didn’t know MOVE does what I wanted. I was gonna read the reference guide this weekend, but had other stuff to do. I hope I can get back to it tonight.