Qt3 Discord Server/IRC/Similar?

Are there any reasonably active, ongoing Qt3 Chat/Voicechat servers? The Steam group usually looks dead when I pop in (I mean, there’s a ton of people online and gaming, but not actively and openly communicating with the whole group), and I don’t find any obvious results for a Qt3 Discord server or IRC channel.

I recently got back into an old multiplayer, text-based browser strategy game, Utopia, and the kingdom I randomed into setup a Discord server for us to use. Seems like it’s more or less permanently there, with both text- and voice-based channels available. The text channels sort of “maintain” and fill in as you scroll up, even to parts of the conversation you weren’t originally logged in for, so it handles asynchronous communication about as well as it does live chat.

Anyway, I’ve kinda enjoyed having a small group of folks to chat with about common interests throughout the day, and found myself wondering if the Qt3 community had ever set up something similar, or would be interested in that (looks like I could found a Discord server pretty easily).

Of course, if such a thing is fundamentally verboten or has been tried and only resulted in chaos and misery, well, you know, sorry for asking.

And hey, Vyksha was kind enough to setup a server on our behalf; it’s here: https://discord.gg/010OE5K91DYkxOgzB. That’ll let you login and setup an account, etc., through the web interface, but there’s a desktop client and mobile ones, too, if you prefer something a little less browser-based. Seems neat so far, so I’ll hang around :)!

Updated Invite Link: https://discord.gg/010OE5K91DYjfvY3t

Right here: https://qt3-leagues.slack.com/

Dave Perkins can set you up with an invite.

I hung out in a #qt3 IRC quite a few years ago. A lot of good folks there, but I stepped away because while it was often great to banter w qt3 peeps, it too easily became a somewhat mean spirited spot to grouse about other board members, or Tom. It was heavily populated by folks who have since left for Broken Forum, so there was a certain amount of discontent towards qt3. If a new spot w/ a more congenial, lighter tone were to pop up, I’d be happy to drop in.

I’d be all for a Qt3 IRC channel!

…as long as it’s not on EFNet.

Curseis very popular at GWJ.

I’ve become a fan of Discord. It’s free, it supports shitloads of users at once in a channel, you can admin the channels easily, including voice and text channels and the desktop client is very lightweight and the mobile app is very solid and getting better all the time.

Being able to send anyone an instant invite link is just the gravy on top.

Slack as RightGif integration so it wins by default.

I’d be down for any, but Curse and Discord seem more interesting. I use Slack at work. Curse & Discord have game overlays, etc. Kinda neat.

Discord seems easy enough to set up:

Edit: Armando, when you hop on I’ll pass ownership to you :)

Anything but Skype.

I don’t trust Discord because they’re getting a big influx of investor dollars, don’t let users run their own servers, and keep logs of everything (their privacy policy also used to be extremely sketchy, but it’s been updated). Of course, I’ve grown away from 3rd party comms programs for the most part, so it’s fairly irrelevant.

Discord is great. Took me 10’ to set up and customise a few channels for another group of friends. It works really well too. It’s what my son and his friends use when gaming. They are constantly creating and hopping from chat room to chat room, typing and chatting using voice across games. I’m impressed by how flexible it is.

That being said, all I use that kind of software for is gaming related matters. So the idea that privacy could be improved doesn’t really matter there. I’ll read more about it though. Thanks for the heads up.

Wendelius

Just as a bump, there are about 7 Qt3 regulars who sit around in the Discord instance vyshka noted, above.

To illustrate the level of activity, no one has typed anything for about 6 days, but when it does heat up, you might get 12-15 sentences in a week!

If anyone else wants to hop on and idle w/ the rest of us, here’s an updated invite!

You guys should drop by the Slack, it’s awesome.

OK, what do you need to send me an invite to the slack group. I promise I’ll be less of a pain that that krayzkrok dude. ;)

Yeah, reminds me that I was gonna bug Dave Perkins about that, too…

Gotta give Dave Perkins your email addy.

Pretty sure Dave will defend that with a vigorous cry of ‘PEBKAM’ at your end. ;)

Discord is great.

I copied and pasted, you wank!