Qt3 Front Page

I prefer to think of it as spartan, ascetic, and clean rather than depressing and soviet, but hey, potayto/pototto.

Maybe it’s a Lada, but at least it isn’t a Trabbi.

It’s more akin to a Škoda.

I desire all websites to be in blog form, so I approve of this front page.

Curse that horrid word…

I found it more ghoul-ish.

or is it ghoulash?

Why is everybody complaining about the color? It’s GREY. I like the minimalist design, or lack thereof. What with the new favico this is probably more change than I can handle in a month.

It’s a gray that doesn’t fit with the big black rectangle logo box or anything else. There’s a difference between minimalist design and not designed.

It’d probably make more sense without the blue backing.

I always wondered what a blog would look like on a Commodore 64. That’s the background/text color combo I used on my C64.

Thumbs down.

Thumbs down.

Thumbs down.

Thumbs down.

Thumbs down.

Who pissed off Mr. Chick?

:(

Now it’s got RSS I may never see the front page again.

Man, how did you guys find that? Who comes to Qt3 through the front page anymore?

It’s all very placeholdery right now, and I’m pretty super-excited about the theme Rob “The Man” Beschizza is making for us. I hope to plug that in shortly. And if any of you guys is within eight-hours range of stusser (aka “The Main Man”), be sure to drive over there and hug him for me. He’s been absolutely aces helping me out with all this.

So here’s the deal going forward: The new front page Rob and stusser are helping me out with will mostly be a vanity thing where I can link reviews and columns so my Mom can read them. The real “front page” of Qt3 is pretty much at Fidgit.com right now. The Sci Fi Channel is kind enough to pay me to do what I’d wanted to do with Qt3 way back when. But Qt3 will continue being a cool watercooler forum where people have to email me before they can come in and call each fags and get flamed by BillD, so there’s no real change there (I might solicit donations depending on what happens with the ad stuff (TBD), but just to recover the costs of hosting).

Anyway, that’s the deal.

-Tom

I stumbled onto it when a temporary glitch in the forums (<chalmers>Stuuuusser!</chalmers>) redirected me there. I thought it was a placeholder or still under development and missing all the CSS. :( (Edit: And it is!)

Fidgit is great, Tom, I read it through my newsreader daily and enjoy it thoroughly. I do feel a bit guilty that I’m not really getting ad impressions. Would it make the SciFi people happier if I were clicking through on the articles more often?

As for Qt3 Forums and donations, just let us know when and where, and I’m in. And don’t be so modest in terms of merely recovering server costs. You deserve a new TV or something for all the cool stuff and great threads I’ve discovered here. So, yeah. Ask and ye shall receive. Well, not a TV, but a solid donation that will hopefully get you a little bit of the way there…

Ephraim, I really have no idea how Sci-Fi monitors traffic and what metric they’ll use for whether Fidgit is successful. To their credit, they haven’t bothered me with any of that stuff. Yet. It is, ultimately, an NBC/Universal property, so I’m sure there are bean counters somewhere watching numbers and maybe clucking disapprovingly. But at this point, I’m happy with people checking out the content however they like.

-Tom

I think the problem with accepting donations is that some people will give money and then think they have an immutable right to say or do whatever they want. Some people will have a sense of entitlement where there is none.

Don’t project, Dirt.

Surely it can’t be worse in that regards than it already is.

Also, I would donate in a moment if you set that up.

You could also quasi-adopt the SA model, where minor bans can be revoked if you give them ten bucks.

WHOA.

Damn. The new front page really woke me up. I feel like I’m reading a Freak Brothers comic.