Qt3 Games Podcast: Craig Miller and X-Wing Miniatures

That’s the Ghost. It’s an amazingly cool ship from the Rebels show.

The other thing to note is that Clone Wars is on Netflix for free right now, and you’d have to pay for any of the Rebels seasons. So if money is an issue, start with Clone Wars. But do keep in mind that it takes a while to really heat up.

Unless you do what I did, get them from the library. Granted the Chicago suburbs have this wonderful network with something like 80 libraries I can get stuff from, so it is easy to find most things.

Except Game of Thrones, apparently.

Really fun podcast. Too bad it felt like it ended in the middle of things. ;)

Darn it @CraigM, now I’m going to wind up getting both of them. I loved that post by the way.

My main problem with collectible games like this is that they’re based on the premise that players will each buy their own copies of the game. Because so much of the game is building your own combination of ships and pilots and weapons, in the same way you might build a Magic or Netrunner deck, you miss out on a significant part of the game’s design when you’re just playing someone else’s set.

And since a) none of the friends I regularly play boardgames with are interested in collectibles, and b) I have no desire to play games with strangers, that pretty much excludes me from X-Wing and Armada. Which on one hand is unfortunate, but on the other hand makes me about $250 less poor.

-Tom

I don’t understand the purpose of expansions. Corsets are supposed to be tightened over time.

Yep, that’s the Ghost. I didn’t realize it when I purchased it but it didn’t come with the Phantom (the ship that docks in the back), so it has a big gap back there. I was going to pick it up but it had already gone out of print and Lego prices get crazy after that happens.

I second the praise for Rebels. It starts a little slow but it’s become quite a good show with plenty of interesting callbacks and cameos.

X-Wing has a very strong Vassal following that can get around some of those barriers for people who are OK with playing it like that. You essentially have the full collection that way and can play with friends from anywhere.

I’ve never really pursued it since such a big appeal of the game to me is the moving and handling of the physical ships and just the great visual presence on the table (hence my ridiculous collection of unplayed pieces). However for those who are most attracted to the pure mechanics it seems like a viable option.

My hope for the game is that FFG continues down the app-enhanced style of design they’ve pursued with Mansions of Madness and Descent and develop some kind of Coop/Solo variation for X-Wing and Armada. I see them trying that with Imperial Assault first.

There is also a very nice constructed fan made coop campaign for X-Wing called Heroes of the Artari Cluster (I think that’s the name at least.) That can be printed out on card-stock and nice paper at Kinko’s. It seems to be highly praised and features a progression and upgrade system.

Ahem ;)

There is the link, by the way, and it is indeed high quality.

As for your concerns Tom

Well, this is a totally fair critique. One I’ve got no counter for. A big part of the draw, for me, is engaging with the mechanics in list building. I have dozens of list ideas printed out, of which I’ve probably flown less than half. I get great enjoyment from contemplating builds, from trying to create lists that utilize an underappreciated card or ship. Sometimes I like to create lists that are totally funky, and not actually tournament competitive, just because it does some stupid thing that seems fun. Like Luke Skywalker with BB-8, Engine Upgrade, and Push the Limit. Reveal green maneuver, barrel roll and then boost before maneuver, get stress, clear stress with the green maneuver, then focus or target lock. Do this every turn.

A 3 action X-wing, with double repositioning, late turn order, and never stressed. It is completely silly and fun!

So I spend more time thinking about combos like that than I do play the game. And it is a huge part of the appeal! There is this vast depth, this fractal possibility space, that I enjoy engaging with. Trying to figure the best way to cram everything in at 100 points or less is a thrill.

Which doesn’t mean the game on the table isn’t fun even if you aren’t building lists! It is, however, only a part of the game. And, as you note, if you don’t have friends willing to build lists, it does make it a bit harder. I have played on several occasions (such as with my siblings) where I provide the lists and ships for both sides. I do deliberately structure it as such to try and make both easier to use. The upside is more list building for me. The downside is that I am effectively dictating how my opponent is going to play. I try and give list options, but they are only interacting with a limited amount of the game scope.

But I go to a regular group at the game store. They were strangers, at first, but the X-wing community tends toward very friendly and helpful. So they did not remain so for long. At this point they are not a group of strangers, but people I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a bit, to get to know a little, and play against multiple times. This worked for me, and I’d bet there are several places near you that offer the same.

But I can respect that this may not work for everyone, and if that prospect doesn’t work for you, there isn’t much I can do to argue that X-wing is a great fit.

Doh! Reading fail, sorry!

Heh, no worries, just a friendly jab :)

Armada is definitely a very interesting inversion on X-wing’s systems, and I think if they had a do-over on X-wing they would probably include some elements from Armada, such as differing attack dice. In X-wing you pre-dial your maneuver then do an action, whereas in Armada you pre-dial your action and then maneuver as you like. In X-wing, you move then shoot, in Armada, you shoot then move(Aside from Demolisher, which… is one of those imperial ships that warps the game to a very extreme extent).

The problem with Armada aside from some balance issues is that the squadron system is kinda unwieldy. The first squadrons that came out, the iconic SW ships… mostly suck, especially for rebels. The imperials got aces that were synergistic and there was a combo that worked (rhymerball). In wave 2, some squadrons came out that were less dependent on ships dumping actions and spending points to support them, but still you have to buy a shit ton of rogues and villains packs to do a good rebel fighter group (a lot of YT-2400s). Imperials just got some more ships to help the rhymerball out(Dengar).

The unwieldy part of squadrons is that you have to click small dials on bases while the fighters are extremely closely packed(because most fighters only influence the board in a very short range) and it’s very easy to knock a bunch down, and their positioning is actually pretty important. If you’ve seen 16 squadrons all packed and engaged, you’ll know what I mean. They probably should’ve made fighters have more range on their attacks/abilities or something just so they can spread out a little bit more than they can right now.

I could have sworn there was an X-Wing miniatures game thread somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Perhaps it is just a common re-occurrence in the board gaming thread.

I have not touched X-Wing in a long time. I have actually considered dumping my sizable 1.0 collection more than a few times. The game just seemed to get bloated with power creep in ways that seemed to defy the source material and aimed at yanking money out of the pockets of fans. Plus, as it has a heavy lean on hidden information with dial movement, it is a game that essentially can’t be played solo. That last part is a big deal. I am not one to haul off lists to hobby shops anymore. Thus, I have many ships from the first few waves just sitting around.

I saw 2.0 pop up and was angry because OF COURSE they needed a way to reset the money pit. However, it does sound perhaps more balanced now? I don’t think I could ever get back into the miniatures based LCG selling model. Plus, I really wonder how I could enjoy the game when not playing competitively. This game would be played with kids or the very rare times that rather casual non-gamer adults are around to enjoy something Star Wars.

I guess what I am trying to ask is: is it worth it to get some conversion packs and try out 2.0 with essentially just the original series/ first few waves of content? Or do I just let it go?

Short answer (because phone, will go longer later): 2.0 is great, and represents a much needed core overhaul on mechanics that significantly improve the game.

From a playing perspective almost every craft is, and will remain, playable due to adjustable points. No need for card chase or hard errata like before. So you will not reach a point where a sizable portion of your collection is almost unusable. If you have a favorite ship or pilot, I promise there is a playable and enjoyable list that can be made around it. The competitive level there is a better mix of winning options, and more variety in list types. Losing in list building is practically not a thing*.

I am hugely in favor, though would say that converting is not a full set conversion per se. Taking time to evaluate what you want to fly and what fits before committing to converting everything is something to consider, especially with FO and resistance splitting into their own factions. But realistically you can convert your existing collection, buy nothing else, and almost always have a competitively viable squad. Also X-wings and every flavor of TIE are consistent winners, obscure EU ships like the Jumpmaster and K-wing no longer dominate competitive. Darth Vader is one of the best pilots in the game, and one of the winningest at high levels. Soontier Fel is as well, so are Wedge, Luke, Han, Leia(crew), Lambdas, etc. Basically the game looks more like movie Star Wars than ever before.

Republic and CIS are also new and so you can get a taste of 2.0 with low entry by getting Guardians of the Republic, a separate Aethersprite, an Arc-170, and an N-1 and Republic Y. Lots of competitive options among those. Of course if you love Jedis, getting 3 Aethersprites is also a thing.

*you can do it, but this requires an almost intentional effort to combine completely non synergistic/ useless pieces. Throwing naked ships that total 200 is almost** always viable

**primary munitions/ secondary weapon carriers such as Bombers and Y-wings more or less require some upgrades to be worth it. They can be OK naked, but generally saving the points and getting an extra basic TIE is better. 3 TIE/ln > 2 TIE/sa.

Thanks for the info @CraigM. I collected just the original series ships. Like the movies, or because of the movies, I generally enjoy that era the most themeatically. Thus I have many A, B, X, and Y wings with Ties of all types. The only major bummer is the Slave 1 being moved as I do have that.

I am strongly considering getting the Rebel and Empire conversions along with the core 2.0. I might get some of the later ships of that era like K wing, Tie Defender, or that medium tie ship.

I still worry about this plan as I will not play competitively anywhere and the game is not solo friendly at all because of hidden dials for movement. My logical brain says to ditch xwing, but my boyhood brain has been rewatching movies and wants the table toy wars.

What is different on the new factions mechanically? What makes them fun? Are there some other ep 4-6 era ships that stand out mechanically in 2.0 that I should add? I stopped at wave 3 or so (Awings and tie bombers) and dont have any of the aces sets or later ships.

Also, besides core and conversion sets, is there anything I need to rebuy or look at in 2.0 packaging now?

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.