Qt3 Games Podcast: Days Gone, Forza Horizon 4, One Finger Death Punch 2

How much Last of Us is in Days Gone, how much do castles cost in Forza Horizon 4, and how much badassery can the average person accomplish in One Finger Death Punch 2? Also, how douchey can one game be? We conduct a rigorous scientific study.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/05/09/qt3-games-podcast-4/

First time listening to a Qt3 podcast due to the mention of Forza (interested to see if Tom had played it due to his hatred of TC2), and boy… there is some seriously factually inaccurate nonsense being talked about FH4.

And there’s a lot of words I might use to describe the characters in that game (bland! dull!), but “douche” definitely isn’t one of them. Everyone is just blandly enthusiastic about cars, or the festival, or about how well you’re driving. It’s not a Need for Speed game where people are pretending to be car culture edgelords. It’s more like you’re stuck at Glastonbury with cars, but in a world where the Demolition Man future came true.

I would play this game, but only if instead of spinning a prize wheel, the minigame was using the three shells.

I agree, but to be fair, it was in Nick’s interest to play up the douche factor to win the contest, which he did brilliantly.

That’s a fair point, although my issues kinda started before they even played that game (at which point he completely left the realm of factual reality - skinny jeans half price in the store? What?)

Yeah, what? Who said skinny jeans were half-price in the store? I certainly did not.

Now I’m talking nonsense, sigh. The ironing is delicious. Rewound the tape, and he says all the store sells is skinny jeans - which is still completely inaccurate, just not as flagrantly so.

The level of “douche quotient” in a game is obviously subjective, but I will defend my assertion that Forza Horizon 4 has an above average amount. When one of your side activities is smashing through fences and running roughshod over the English countryside to blast influencer billboards, you’re being a class-A douche.

What’s wrong with Mountain Dew??

I wanted to listen to all your impressions of Days Gone, just because it looks pretty good to me. I’m a little surprised that it’s so looked down on, and Jason almost seems to be apologizing for enjoying it. Now I say this as a guy who has never played The Last of Us or Days Gone, but has watched streams of both. I think The Last of Us has the much more interesting story, I’d watch the movie if it was one. But watching the combat just lost me, I usually ended up tuning out until they got back to the story beats. But Days Gone, while I don’t doubt has a less interesting story to tell, looks like more fun to actually play. But that may be my open world bias showing. I guess I was hoping it would be a little Red Dead, with your trust steed and righting wrongs (or maybe doing some wrongs).

Days Gone’s story obviously isn’t as well told as The Last of Us, but it is pretty interesting and there are some really cool characters. It’s also pretty complicated and tangled and messy where The Last of Us is very straight forward. It’s a lot more concerned with the idea of community where The Last of Us has a razor focus on the individual.

And it is a lot of fun. I love picking apart enemy camps, smashing zombies with a good club and taking down infected Bears. I finally took down my first horde last night. That is a totally nerve wracking, thrilling experience.

Yes, for anyone that got that I dont like the game, I honestly do. I think Deacon is a dong and some of the story beats are lame, but as I said in the cast I really like some of the side characters in this game and enjoy the moment to moment play a good bit

That’s Deacon St. John to you.

FH4 is totally douchey. It’s my main issue with it apart from the weird progression.

Is FH4 that much more douchey than the earlier games? I haven’t gotten to it yet (still playing 3), and they definitely have that weird whippersnapper rave culture thing, but it doesn’t really register with me. I just like driving cars fast.

It’s Test Drive Unlimited type douchiness, as opposed to Need for Speed douchiness. I can’t stand the latter, but the Forza Horizon kind just brushes off me I guess. (And yes dive, it’s pretty much the same level as previous Forza Horizon games).

Maybe it’s the juxtaposition with the setting. It’s easier to stick out as a douche in the English countryside than on an Australian beach.

Aside from the aesthetics of the festival itself (laser lights, etc.), there isn’t really anything “rave-y” about the Horizon games. All of the characters are just relentlessly upbeat, positive, and forgettable. They never even really slip into the hip lingo the kids are using these days.

I’ll be the first person to say the “writing” in those games (such as it is), is completely terrible - but because the narrative of Horizon’s 2 through 4 is borderline nonexistent anyway, it doesn’t really bother me. You have a single cutscene where you meet everyone early, they occasionally chime in on radio to remind you how great you are thereafter, and that’s pretty much it.

I’m more worried about the rumoured Fable reboot Playground are working on, and just hoping they’ve kept the terrible Horizon writers at least 500M away at all times.

I love One Finger Death Punch 2. I prefer the left and right arrow keys to the mourse.

I’m undecided if the music is better than the first, although there is greater variety. Many in game quality of life improvements and more variety.

The new skill tree is a great improvement and thanks for the ranged bastards that stand at the edge of the screen and pepper your with projectiles, I hate them. But not as much as I hate wushu levels. I’m a little sad that the Ball of Death has been nerfed, but I used to screw up all the time chasing it in the original.

I’m still working my way up the Survival Tower, currently on eight. It seems to escalate quite quickly once you beat your previous score.

Isn’t a one finger death punch really more of a death poke though?