Qt3 Games Podcast: Resident Evil: The Village

I didn’t know he had motivation. To me he was just the dude murdering violently stuff with a shotgun while whining like a wuss every 20 seconds because he stepped on a rock.

Totally hijacking this, but I watched Resident Evil 2 (not the remake) last year, and I was amazed how gorgeous and well directed that game was.

I meant that he is not human and something is wrong with him.

The very specific wording Tom’s objecting to isn’t in 7, but it’s otherwise everything in 8 tracks. Aside from the hand scene, there’s also this bit:

I went through the RE franchise a year or two ago in a massive binge, and 5 is the only one I bailed on. Partly it’s because I’d played it before, and partly because I came to it right after 4, and to me 5 is just a bad version of 4.

I liked 8 overall - it’s uneven because of the anthology approach, but it’s squarely in the “good” category of Resident Evils.

Too bad they couldn’t get this for the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6P5H9ZUVk

I guess because there is no “The.” Just a colon.

or Village People

There is not even a colon. Well, I’m pretty sure there are many colons in the game itself, but I didn’t focus my attention on that.

What was that song… Vampire are People

Even more strangely fitting to the discussion!

Winters being dead is kind of an irrelevant “reveal”. I mean what does it mean, really? He is still walking around, thinking, feeling, doing. So his “deadness” is just his body being fully mutated/molded and in the process of disintegrating. Which sucks, sure. But he isn’t really dead in any meaningful…meaning of the word.
That said I am glad they did explain how he was able to regenerate so easily and quickly, although I wish Winters commented on it himself during RE7.

I still loved Village, more than any other RE game in fact, and I much preferred Winters as a protagonist over the Redfields and Kennedies of the franchise. Wish he wasn’t dead. For real this time.

I liked Village a lot, but I can’t go with you there. I think Ethan works in RE7, where you’re thrust into an abusive family dynamic with a lot of outsize personalities centered around that one theme, but since Village is such a grab-bag theme park hung together by the slightest of threads in comparison, I would’ve preffered playing Claire, or Leon, or Chris, or Moira “what in a moist barrel of fucks”* Brown. Or really anyone with a defining character trait besides being thick.

*This asterisk brought to you by blatant, shameless RE: Revelations 2 cheerleading. More people should talk about what a good game that is.