Qt3 Games Podcast: the battle against MMO fatigue

Bryan, I agree with what you're saying in the sense that I think Bioware does a horrible job presenting romantic relationships. Nailing chicks, indeed.

But I disagree with the idea that a homosexual relationship is inappropriate in a show that children cherish. Our culture has come a long way since 1977, when Star Wars was released. I'd point to Modern Family on ABC, for instance, a family friendly show which presents a homosexual relationship. I'm not saying computer games have to get all "Heather Has Two Mommies" on us, but there's no reason a contemporary updating of Star Wars can't include gay characters. I mean, it's not as if Lucas is above throwing anti-smoking messages into his movies. :)

My big problem with DCUO was just the number of systems at play in the action combat. Comparing it to a fighting game, while not entirely accurate, is a good in the sense that I think they brought in some unnecessary complexity. I'm terrible at using things like animation canceling to maximize DPS. And unlike a fighting game, the camera perspective in DCUO obscured my opponent more often than not which makes following animations and using interrupts and stuns correctly more difficult.

I guess I'm saying I sympathize. I've played other F2P action-rpg MMOs and enjoyed them, so it's just not the action. Something about DCUO (especially in PVP) makes me feel like I'm floundering when playing.

I have the game, too, and I actually played it with a friend a few times in the early '80s. It has a lot of basic design problems. I'm glad I have it, but I will never play it again. Frankly, Knizia's LOTR coop game is the best boardgame I've played with a LotR theme. It's a little bit on the Euro side, but overall the theme carries the day. And the art is just gorgeous.

That Christoforo guy was the CEO of a company that got shut down and had to pay a $14.5 million fine for piracy.

That’s pretty funny. I have never even heard of the Dragon Box!