Qt3 Games Podcast: The Master List

I recently caught up this weekend on all the games podcasts, and just wanted to let Tom and everyone else know that I really enjoyed them, and I am looking forward to all the new ones in the pipeline.

I’m up for a podcast in a year or two whenever my name pops up. By then maybe we can talk about Warriors Orochi XIII!

Any update on what is going on, Tom? I’m gonna be really bummed if I never get to listen to Bill. :(

Thanks for asking, Cory, but I’m afraid I won’t be doing any more of these.

-Tom

jesus, tom, what the hell.

You’re better than this, just stop it.

They’re really fantastic, and it’s clear that you put a lot of work into preparing for them. It’s some of the best games discussion I’ve heard in a podcast, and I love that it’s not about the latest, greatest game, but is instead usually about classics that I may or may not have played. And the chat in the first half of the episode is just really entertaining. I hope you reconsider, and maybe go to a monthly schedule instead of weekly. If not, well, it was a good run. I hope it is the work involved in making these that made you decide to stop, and not some disillusionment with the forums, but whatever is going on with the bannings etc. isn’t something I’ve really followed.

Did I miss something? Has this got something to do with the Elemental/Game Journalism kerfuffle?

Anyway, whatever the reason, I echo DanielElliot in that these were really great podcasts, and that I hope you’d consider doing one occasionally even if it’s no longer a regular feature.

Sorry to hear that. I loved the bits with the forum members - always nice to learn a little more about some of the people here.

Troy

Jesus, André, what the hell?

I love the podcasts, loved mine, registered to go again. This makes me sad, and yes, a little angry at Tom. This perception that everyone that disagrees with him is a gigantic douchebag needs to stop, and stop now.

UhUh, whatever you say! Keep up the good work.

Very sorry to hear this, I have been a big fan of these game podcasts. I hope that you change your mind in the future and pick it up again if it’s possible.

Sorry, I’m not trying to be all dramatic or anything. The long and short is that while I enjoyed doing these, they were a way of fostering a sense of community. Sort of like when someone joins a conversation or comes into a room, you introduce them to everyone, you tell the group something interesting about that person, you get to know each other.

I’m not saying this isn’t how Qt3 should work – I think it should! – but you guys are capable of doing that on your own. After a series of episodes going back to that whole kerfluffle about using the word “cunt”, going up through stuff with individual posters like Rob and Dan and Alex, and recently how we treated Judge Floro, and how some people feel the need to retreat into private Qt3 social groups, and most recently how Brad Wardell’s comments were taken out of context by people who I felt should have known better, I’ve decided that’s not really something I’m interested in trying to do any more. Some of those episodes were instructive, but most of them made me realize that I probably am out of touch with how internet communities work. And that’s ultimately what this is. It’s a place where people online hang out, special in some ways, but mostly like any other.

As I’ve said, I’ll still be here – What am I going to do, post on NeoGAF or the Fidgit comments section? – but short of just sweeping out a whole bunch of posters who I think are antithetical to what I was trying achieve, I just don’t see Qt3 as being what I had intended. Which is fine. It reminds me a bit of my brief attempt to teach Sunday school at a Methodist church back in Arkansas. Ask me to tell you that story if we ever meet. It mostly involved cleaning up grape juice.

Anyway, I had a great time meeting some of you on the podcasts and I’m really bummed that I won’t get around to the rest of you. But if you guys think they’re worth doing, go for it. One thing I definitely learned is that any ol’ Joe or Jane can do a podcast!

-Tom

I think you’re selling yourself short, Tom. The podcasts may not have pervaded all of Qt3 with rainbow-like communitarian peace and harmony rays. But they did succeed at entertaining a large number of dedicated posters here, and they did give many individuals a chance to chat with you personally about games, in depth, the way only Qt3 (in my internet forum experience) can.

You may not have unified the whole site, but you definitely were making the place better and giving a lot of people here a lot of enjoyment, including yourself! That’s the part that tells me you shouldn’t stop – the podcasts themselves were enjoyable for you.

I encourage you to shift your goalposts slightly, declare the podcast series to be winning a more winnable game, and continue it :-) Seriously, I laid this on Jason Cross in the “Windows Phone 7” thread and I’ll lay it on you:

Even with the inevitable shit-flingers, you’re closer to achieving your “a cool place for gamers to be decent with each other” goal than anywhere else I know of. And partial success is EPIC WIN in internet terms.

And hell, if you ever get too pissed off, I hope you do sweep out all the people who don’t fit your vision – better that than closing down the whole site!

Wow.5

Boo. I wanted to talk about Football Manager.

It was these podcasts that actually drove me from being a mere reader to register on the site and start participating. To hear that they’ve come to an end is actually rather tragic, in my eyes. Still, I’m not here to hound anyone into doing anything they don’t want to do, so I’ll leave my comments at that.

I wanted to talk about AI War. Or roguelikes. But I couldn’t settle on one and never bothered asking.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect Tom to last thing long doing them, because it’s a ton of work and he’s a busy man avoiding Troy. They’ve been good to listen to and Tom’s reasons make sense I guess.

I’m no veteran, but I think Qt3 is a very special place and definitely different from most other online communities, and I loved the podcasts. They did succeed in fostering a sense of community. Anyways, I think the good discussions usually outweighed the drama.

Bring it back, Tom!

It’s gonna be sad when QT3 closes next year (predicting). I visit here everyday.