Qt3 Games Podcast: what ever happened to Second Life?

Title Qt3 Games Podcast: what ever happened to Second Life?
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Games podcasts
When April 10, 2013

Tom Chick and Nick Diamon call out Linden Lab CEO and erstwhile Sims developer Rod Humble for that weird Second Life game. Not pictured, by the way. That's a screenshot from the lovely but inchoate Patterns, also from Linden Lab..

Read the full article

What a lovely 30min to 2 hour commercial, depending on how you look at it.

There is one excellent Vietnam game that I know of (and I know Bruce knows it) - Victory Games 'Vietnam'. It's a paper wargame, though, and pretty complex. It is the best game on the subject that I know of, though. I'd love to see it translated to the PC, but fat chance of that.

Yeah, Vietcong was a lovely war shooter. Battlefield Vietnam was very much a DICE shooter, but it did some nifty tricks with asymmetry and atmosphere.

I vividly remember some squad level Vietnam computer game from the 80s (?) where you ferried troops around in a helicopter and dropped them off the clear the jungle out. I just don't remember the name of it. It was probably some SSI game.

The exasperated expression "Do they go through Turkey?", from Rob, is a highlight of the week.

No apology necessary! I didn't even notice.

Thanks for being on the show. Linden Lab sure does sound like a laboratory with all its experimental projects.

I appreciated this discussion for several reasons, not least of which was Tom's synopsis of Versu. I ended up trying it out and coming away very impressed.

I've tended to be a Second Life naysayer. My limited experience with it has been pretty negative in terms of both performance and accessibility of worthwhile content. But some of these other LL projects sound really cool. Particularly Versu. It's a pity it's not available on PC - I myself have an iPad, but the friends of mine that would be most interested do not. (Nor Android tablets, for that matter.)

Nick must be from CA cuz every sentence starts with a slightly extended "so". I'll put fiddy on that guess!

Phantom Leader is also a Vietnam game, although, as it deals with the air war, it's probably not quite what most people would think of when it comes to the Vietnam war.