Qt3 gets updated! Comments please

Once a year, like it or not, the site gets updated. Actually, we have new super-genius HTML software designed by Chet that actually writes and posts our stories now, so we hope to update more frequently.

So how does the front page look? It’s not all that different on the surface, but we’d like to make sure it looks ok in your browser. Check some of the older stuff, like Tom’s first Shoot Club column. Everything has to be converted. It’s a New World Order for Qt3, and Tom and I are just trying to fall into line.

Post here with your comments, please, and thanks for visiting the site.

Quarter To Three is doomed!

Looks good in a two day old install of XP running whatever version of Firefox was out two days ago.

It’s awesome on XP with MyIE2. Glad you’re starting her up again.

Using IE 6 and Mozilla 1.6, it looks good overall. I just wish you wouldn’t use a table with a width of a fixed number of pixels. On my big-ass monitor I see a small strip of text in the middle of my window and lots of black on the sides.

It is a common complaint of mine with web sites. Apparantly the average user still uses a resolution of 800*600. :-/

Other than that, the site looks pretty! And I am really pleased that you are updating it again. I thought Qt3 was the DNF of gamesites, but apparently not!

Bye,
Steven

Besides the average width - the real reason is readability. I played around on POE News forever with various widths and the current QT3 width is about the maxium width that still lets your eye easily read the content. I personally prefer a bit more narrow.

And while you can say you can adjust the width yourself, IMO, most people don’t, then think the site looks like shit.

Chet

The end of the world is nigh! Isn’t one of the signs heralding the apocalypse “…and Qt3 will be updated again on a regular basis.” Or so I’m told.

On the other hand, I’ve always been a big fan of the existing Qt3 content. I’m eager to see more of your stuff. coughshoot clubcoughcoughGeryk reviews/rebuttalscough

I probably should see a doctor.

You’re implicitly assuming a certain font size, I think. Readability depends on the number of words per line. If I have a high resolution, I also need a large font to compensate. If you use a fixed number of pixels for each line, you get less words per line.

I can understand desiging your web site for the average user, though. I just wish the average user didn’t have 14" screens.

Bye,
Steven

I see the following in the page source:

<BODY bgcolor=‘#000000’ text=‘#FFFECB’ LEFTMARGIN=“0” TOPMARGIN=“0” MARGINWIDTH=“0” MARGINHEIGHT=“0” style=“font-family: verdana,geneva,arial,helevtica,sans-serif; font-size: smaller” LINK=“#00FF00” VLINK=“#009900” ALINK=“#FF0000”>

Is helevtica a valid font?

Bye,
Steven

I like it, it’s good, but if you start posting more often, moving the “Recent Updates” up would be helpful.

does this mean that you are actually going to try and keep the front page updated regulary?

Can you just imagine the flood of email QT3 received because of this? All those Mac System 7 users who uninstalled the built-in Geneva Font, then they visit QT3 only to be met by some generic sans-serif font…wow.

Can you just imagine the flood of email QT3 received because of this? All those Mac System 7 users who uninstalled the built-in Geneva Font, then they visit QT3 only to be met by some generic sans-serif font…wow.[/quote]

That was good for a chuckle.

Mark, it’s great that you guys are updating the site regularly! Does this mean you’re soliciting news items, too, or any other content?

Does this mean…dare I say it…new Shoot Club columns?

You can read the old ones and imagine they are new, like I did. :)

Can you just imagine the flood of email QT3 received because of this? All those Mac System 7 users who uninstalled the built-in Geneva Font, then they visit QT3 only to be met by some generic sans-serif font…wow.[/quote]

That was good for a chuckle.

Mark, it’s great that you guys are updating the site regularly! Does this mean you’re soliciting news items, too, or any other content?[/quote]

We actually have the capability to take reader submissions now. There’s a form people can use to submit stories. We just don’t have that turned on at this time. Not sure what we’re going to do with that.

In the meantime, sure, send me stories: [email protected]

Looks like it to me.

http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/columns/41/

Would that work?

No, the space needs to be 728x90, one reason why i make a certain type of logo for all my sites. The big eyeball is cool, but a freaking nightmare designwise.

Chet

Nice work. Now that I’ve had a chance to poke around, I think it mostly all looks and works great.

If there is one thing I’d like to suggest, it would be a link to get back to the main page from the board. The eyeball icon used to point to the root of the domain, but now it points to the root of the forum.

If I comment from the front page I have a way to the forum, but not back (although it is easy enough to edit the URL).

I will agree that the black columns on the sides look way too big (1024x768, WinXP, Mozilla Firefox 0.8 ), but I really like it, other than that. Oh, and I’ll also second Tim’s request for a link from the forums back to the main page.

Don’t love the advertising placement on the side – makes it too hard to find links to new content. Could the new content links go on the other side, maybe? Or would that require squeezing the middle so much that it’s unreadable?

And hooray for more content!!!