QT3 HiveMind HW PriceCheck in aisle 69...

Coworker offering to sell me their lightly-used Acer Predator 27" 1440p GSync monitor for $600 CAD ($450 USD) …yes/no?

Need some people to chime in so I can false claim that I’ve “talked to my accountant”

I would not buy a 27" 1440P Acer Predator with Gsync for $450.

Full disclosure: I am not yet accustomed enough to having some disposable income to drop $450 on a monitor that does anything less than make me lunch.

There’s a Juicero joke in here somewhere.

What if the holes are pre-drilled in the back?

I can’t fathom such grandiosity.

It’s $1000 CAD new and he just upgraded to some $1800 Asus ROG monitor. :(

That’s a chunk of cash right there, so ask yourself, will it improve your gaming? Will you enjoy the games you play more? I’m not asking these questions rhetorically, I think only you can know the answer.

I think the first question would be: “can you do G-sync?” Because if not, you can get as much monitor in other respects for significantly less cash.

I have it and love it. You will need a 1070 or 1080 to run it. Note: the one I have has the red legs , not the round base. The round base would be older, not sure about that one.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20

Ask him if he has overclocked it. If he says yes then don’t buy it, or at least have him reduce the price.

Apparently the panels have had some QC issues. Check for dead or stuck pixels, and see if the backlight bleed is acceptable.

Wtf you can overclock monitors?

Some of them, yeah. Acer advertises it as a feature, which to my mind means an increased likelihood that he’s done it.

hasn’t been overclocked. going to go for it. have and love gsync currently with a benq 24" monitor.

I have the older version, round base, XB270HU which is flipping awesome. I assume the newer Predator is at least as good? Good decision! :)

only just noticed it is ips. hopefully that means the viewing angles won’t be ass like they are on my tn panel gsyncs from benq.

It’s an AHVA panel from AU Optronics - all those 165Hz panels are at this stage. It’s a propriety variation on the IPS tech, just as Samsung’s PLS panel types are.

Angles should be good. They will suffer from traditional IPS type corner glow that may be slightly yellowish in tinge. The Predators are top of the wazza, though, so quality control should keep that to a minimum of issue.

Only one data point, but there’s zero discernible glow on mine in a dark room. When I was looking, I passed on the Asus version because problems seemed to be more prevalent there at the time.

I had the AOC one for a week before returning it due to what I believed was a panel defect.

Pretty sure a guy a work just grabbed this Predator though and he reports his is schmick as.

Don’t leave me in suspense… as schmick as WHAT?