QT3 hobby desk thread

Post some WiP Gedd, I’m curious as to what you are up to.

Here’s a WiP for my current project. Base coat and shades are completed, now just need to put in the highlights and re-blend in the mids (not to mention any detail work on the books/scrolls). Pretty involved model actually, but those often look the coolest finished up!

I’m supposed to follow your awesome work with a picture of my stuff? Well, since you asked…

The grey and brown are done with the new paint. The guy in green is a sample of how terrible the old paint was going on and why I was getting frustrated.

I still have not been able to work on these at all beyond the priming and initial base coat. Every time I get a bit of free time and think about either playing a game or painting, I’ve been opting for playing. I do still want to move forward, so if I get some solo time I’ll try to at least get some of the other base paints on these.

Wow…That green guy looks pretty chunky…I don’t blame you for being frustrated.

The grey and brown guys look great though! Your paint consistency looks excellent, something I didn’t figure out until I had been painting for 6 months.

The multiple coats I had to do to get coverage killed the detail on it (not that there was much to start).

The grey and brown guys look great though! Your paint consistency looks excellent, something I didn’t figure out until I had been painting for 6 months.

Thanks for the encouragement. You can’t see it from this angle, but there are definitely some spots that got missed, but I’m not going to worry about it on these. If I get too hung up on making them perfect, I’ll just keep stalling.

More work this eve whilst Tom streamed DS3. Thought I’d post another WiP:

(Still not nerdier than corner clipping chits)

So I picked up a copy of the Warhammer 40k starter book set today. Really impressed with the production value (though at that price, I really shouldn’t expect anything less). Unfortunately the codex for the army I want to play (Orks) wasn’t in stock, but the owner of the shop gave me an outdated codex for free to take a look at until they get the newer one. I was planning on waiting for my next paycheck to start buying models, but looking through these books makes it really hard to wait!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for people starting 40k? They can be either about modelling, list-building, or tactics. I have played a decent bit of Warmachine, so I know the basics of miniature wargaming. I’ve already watched a bunch of battle reports on youtube, and am excited to start playing!

Dont’ play against merry - there’s a good chance his army will look better than yours (or anybodies)… :)

I can’t help you with list building or tactics, since I suck at both and generally just march my soldiers to their doom. I will say this though, it’s definitely important to have a conversation with your opponent as to what type of game you want to play (unbound, tournament lists, fluff lists, etc) before you start. 40K rules are pretty flexible as to what sort of games you can play, and it’s not much fun if people are not trying to play the “same” game.

For hobby stuff, make sure you get some nice plastic cutters if you don’t have any, since 40K stuff is all on sprue. I have also found that “thin” plastic glue works well since it sets slower but still adheres, making it easier to line up the arms holding the guns and the like. I think those are the only real differences from Warmachine in terms of modeling.

This a million times. Don’t try to use wire cutters or god forbid scissors. Getting a nice clean cut is paramount, especially if you’re going to play unpainted – those white stress markings on the plastic can be hideous to look at unless you prime or paint.

If I am going to loose I want to look good doing it! :)

Been crazy busy lately but I managed to steal a day and spend it on hobby stuff. Feeling nicely relaxed as a result. :)

Here was today’s project. I love Forge World stuff, but it is pretty time consuming to assemble.

I bought a starter set of Orks, along with some more Boyz and some Warbikerz today. I can’t get over how much better these Warhammer 40k models look than my Warmachine ones. Its like night and day. Its ridiculous that Privateer Press charges so much for such horrible sculpts (for Cyngar, anyway). I especially love the sculpt for the Painboy – he is so cool! I dived right in to the bikes too, but they are (understandably) a bit harder to put together. Really excited to start painting these bad boys!

Yeah, I started with Warmachine and then switched over to 40K and I feel the same about the models. I try to tell myself that learning to paint and build models on the crappy Warmachine stuff has helped me make the most of the way better GW stuff.

Can’t wait to see your orks! Definitely post pics.

Spent a little time getting the Crimson Fist iconography on the termies today:

I love just how batshit insane and obnoxious the Ork models are. And on top of that, they give you lots of extra bits to make them more ostentatious. Even putting together the basic Boyz squads is a blast because of how much you can customize them. I’ve had more fun in these two days putting them together that I’ve ever had with any other miniatures.

Edit: I’ll try to post a photo of my entire army once I have everything assembled.

Almost finished with my first Ork Shootaboy! Still need to do the base and add a little battle damage, but I think it already looks pretty awesome. Really happy with how it turned out.

Nice! Looks Great!

Played my first game of Warhammer 40k today together with five other guys. We played a 3v3, with each person controlling a 500 point force. My orks died relatively quickly, but managed to take out 4 terminators and a bunch of space marines in the process. I also ended up getting the final kill, with an immobilized Deff Dread kustom mega blasta shot. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience. I was also surprised how smoothly the game went considering the number of players. We played a 2v2 game of Warmachine last month, and that just seemed to go on forever. I can’t wait until I have a 1000+ pt army of my own to play with. In the meantime, theres still lots of painting to do.

So, my wife and I stopped by our local tabletop gaming store today, and my wife noticed a couple GW army boxes that were for sale. Since my birthday is coming up, she asked if I would want one. I’m kind of split on this, since they are a bit pricey. However, I can definitely see how it would make transporting my army much easier. There was a big one and a small one there, though I’m concerned that a full army wouldn’t fit in the smaller one (at least not for 40k). Does anyone here have any opinions on these?

I like Battlefoam for army transport and storage. I definitely find having some sort of bag pretty handy.

A friend of mine swears by a larger tackle box with cotton and/or foam. It’s a little more fiddly than the purpose-built stuff (some surgery may be required to allow for larger units), but the price is substantially cheaper.