QT3 hobby desk thread

I’m not sure, what’s slop-n-go?

Maybe some weathering powders Sharaloo, I think ole Optimus could use some rust.

So it seems not having my PS4 hooked up these days is definitely leading to better hobby progress. Thought I would post a bit more often than normal since A) I am doing a lot of painting at the moment and B) I sometimes find it interesting so see a staged sequence and maybe others might as well (probably that’s just me though).

Started in on the first pass for blue highlights tonight.

Merry, do you paint your minis one at a time, or do you do assembly line painting? I had thought that my pace was slow, even doing 2-4 models at a time. In the past month, I have only painted about six ork boyz and half a deff dread (though I have four more boyz that are about 3/4 finished). I want to make my models look great, but at the same time I really hate having a big grey blobs when I’m playing and really want to get faster with my painting.

I mostly work on models one at a time, though I do have a second model that I am just base coating blue while I work on the primary model. That way there is always a model ready for the laborious detail work.

Your pace is definitely faster than mine by a bit. If I dutifully paint every night for an hour or so I can do about 3-4 Tac Marines a month. I do opt for quality over quantity in all this so it takes me a long time to work through an army, but I enjoy it and I like having a nicely painted army so for me it is worth the extra time.

I’m with you on wanting to play with a painted army though, and my solution to that has been Zone Mortalis games. I think that’s a pretty fun format and it works well for slow painters who want to play fully painted games.

Finally finished up this little fella.

Looking good, merry.

I’ve been making decent progress on my Imperial Assault minis. I found about a half dozen pots of paint that are dried beyond redemption today. Those damn pots are such a horrible design. :(

Yeah, the droppers are the best for keeping paint from spoiling. I’ve had a couple pots go to seed on me, but not too bad.

Post pics of your Imperial Assualt!

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my Imperial Assault stuff. I have about seven of the models on the go right now, in various states of completion.

More recently, I’ve been distracted by some minis from my boxed introductory set of BattleTech. I present a Zeus:

I just need to clean up the knees and decide what to do with the base.

Oh hey! There’s a IA mini in the background!

Sweet Battletech mini! I’d be curious to see how the Imperial Assualt minis look painted up too.

Finished my first gretchin today. Really love painting these little guys!

That looks great!

In slightly more unusual news, has these arrive on my doorstep this morning courtesy of a years long recurring Ebay search - first hit for Hirsts molds the search had ever picked up locally in Australia! They weren’t cheap as such, but they were a little less than brand new and I did not get killed by international freight.

Will try to get some plaster in them in the next week or so. I am told dental plaster is a more durable alternative to plaster of paris, just need to find me a source.

Cool Gretchin!

Good luck with the casting, let me know how it goes. I’ve not gotten into casting, but I’ve been curious about it.

I’m super jealous of your molds, sharaleo! I’ve had my eye on those for a few years, but shipping to Canada is pretty rough (not to mention the cost of the molds themselves are on the high-side).

Any play the new edition of Warmachine yet? I just bought the updated cards. I’m considering buying another starter force, since it looks like I’ll need some additional warjack choices in the new edition. Really excited to see how the balance changes affect a lot of my weaker Cygnar infantry (I can finally use my Trenchers!).

Ok, probably to Prankster’s great glee I am considering painting some minis again. It’s been a decade so all my old stuff is probably dead. I plan to give a fantasy board game a go (so reds, blues, purples, greys, metals (shades or metallic), flesh, greens, browns, whites, etc). The miniatures are on a smaller scale which kinda sucks, but they are also of board game quality and I just want to get them to pop a bit when playing. The game is Descent if that matters.

Even though I did a probably better than fine job with Warmachine years ago, the goal here is not hobby level, but basic good look with speed. I.e. I plan to basic coat then wash, then hi-light. I may even swap wash for dip method for the sure durability so that they can still be clumped in a board game box without worry of damage.

But where to start? Last time I just picked wily nilly off the shelf and ended up spending a lot once I was done chasing compliments and hi-lights. I plan to avoid GW like the plague as even if the paint is good, their pots are planned obsolescence as they never keep product from drying out. I like the dropper ones from before and some might even be usable still.

I had my eye on the below as it seems to have a good selection of traditional fantasy colors with their lighter or deeper shades right at hand for hard line hi-lights (my preferred method as blending is too much unless you love the hobby or you airbrush):
https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mega-Paint-Set/dp/B00HC9YNZU

But a bird suggested starting here thinking most of the colors on a larger set would go unused.
https://www.amazon.com/Privateer-Press-Formula-P3-Paint/dp/B001BR9YK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1472766461&sr=1-1&keywords=Iron+kingdom+colors

Of course the dollar difference is huge, but with the IK colors I’d still be chasing a lot of colors in other packs or single along with washes.

Advice?

Get the IK set and save the extra $70 for adding colors a la carte (or buying more Descent).

1. Paints really only last 4-5 years or so and I bet half the pots in that big set would go to seed before you got around to using them.

2. Army painter is kinda meh. It just doesn’t thin down very nicely. (P3 thins down terrifically)

3. If you really don’t want P3, look into Valejo Air, which is really the best paint on the market these days. It is already the proper consistency and covers really well as a result.

4. Who the heck are you calling a little birdie!?

The IK Color set seems too basic. Descent is full fantasy color and less about browns and blacks. I am pretty sure the local store mostly stocks GW product which I hate. So I am trying to get some momentum before having to buy singles. I guess I could get IK Colors, plus Khodor (reds), plus Cygnar (blues) etc, from Amazon but that will get pricey fast and might have a lot of overlap.

Looking at my old supplies, I had a lot of Vallejo Game Color and even a decade later they still seem to be fluid, but I’m not sure I would risk using them. I really liked them if I recall.

What about starting with something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Color-Intro-Set-16/dp/B000PHCTRK/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1472785065&sr=1-2&keywords=vallejo+paint

Well, the ultimate decision is yours and paint preferences do vary. I would go with this though if I were shopping for a larger set.

Basic Colors: Acrylic 16 Airbrush Paint Set for Model & Hobby (Vallejo 71178) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZ9VERW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XeuYxbVJCJ9QV