QT3 hobby desk thread

Wait. Are you messing with me now? Isnt that one for air brushing? And I thought I picked out the same thing, but for miniature gaming colors (as apposed to military, USA, etc).

Yeah, I was curious about that too. Merry, do you prefer the Air range due to your propensity for blending? Would their consistency still be adequate when single applications are preferred? Or are they just a damn good pigment quality and cover well regardless?

My guess from reading the reviews at Amazon is that you don’t need to “thin” these since they’re already pre-thinned for air brush.

Just basically saves a step. I’ve been taught to water down all my paint anyway, so I can see the usefulness in this.

Yeah, the Air is pre-thinned which saves some time when painting (other paints are basically concentrate, in terms of mini paints, including P3). Since you don’t need to thin them the pigment stays stronger and coverage is better in general. P3 uses liquid pigments, so they do thin really well, but I actually prefer Air since it saves time. Also, yes, thin paints are a must for blending.

I’m too far in now to switch completely but as I add colors these days I am transitioning into Air for ease of use, even though I do only brush work.

To be fair I do value quality over speed and don’t like “furry” models so I like thin paints. If a chunky end product isn’t a concern and speed of coverage is all that matters standard Vallejo might be a better choice. Be warned though, Vallejo doesn’t thin for shit, so if you decide later you want thinner paints standard Vallejo is really going to work against you.

Man, I really love my ork army, but I have to say that it is getting tiring to build. I already have over 90 models already, and I can’t even build a 1500 pt army yet. Out of that, only about 1/4 of the models have any paint on them at all yet, and only a handful have been painted fully. I guess its my fault for choosing a horde-style army, but the orks are just too charming to resist!

Yeah, horde armies are tough. Lots of models to paint, but they are pretty cool on the table.

Recently finished up this little fella. :)

Disclaimer: no painted pics in this post. :(

Just before the holidays, I discovered a relatively new mostly plastic line of minis in Team Yankee (from the guys who make Flames of War). It’s loosely based on the novel of the same name by Harold Coyle which itself is deserving of a post for being a pretty great novel, but I digress. The scenario for the game is a mid-80s Cold War gone hot.

Anyway, I’m not at all interested in the game… I never play these things. What I am interested in is the high-quality ~1:100 scale plastic minis that are available through the line. So… I splurged a bit and hit up eBay before Christmas to buy a bunch of stuff that looked like it would be interesting to assemble and paint in that scale. I wound up with some M1A1 tanks, M113 PCs, M109 SP guns, and a bunch of aircraft of the Apache/Mi-24, A-10, Harrier, and Tornado variety.

The good news is that the kits arrived last week and I’ve been assembling up a storm. I couldn’t be more impressed with the quality and detail on the M1s, M113s, and helos for having so few parts (~15 for the M1). The details are exaggerated just enough to catch paint without being cartoony while the ~1:100 scale means it still feels like painting a mini instead of a model. Unfortunately, the M109’s tracks and guns are made of metal and I’ve never enjoyed painting metal minis. The Tornado and Harrier are plastic, but the mold quality on them is a stark contrast to the ground vehicles; They’re going to take a ton of work to clean up and prep for painting. Massive props to them for including rare earth magnets to hold the rotors on to the helos and the aircraft onto their bases though. No more broken pieces due to bending parts the way they weren’t meant to be bent!

Because I’ve stuck mostly to minis for the last few years, I’ve forgotten the difficulties in painting larger-sized models and I’ve been having a bugger of a time getting a really good looking base coat using a brush on the larger surfaces. I’ve suspended my painting for now while I seek out a cheap airbrush.

Anyway, lots of fun so far. I love the contemporary (-ish, anyway) units compared to what I’ve been painting recently in Orcs, Stormtroopers, and over-sized Space Marines.

I’ll try to remember to toss up a few pics of assembled minis in the next few days.

I finally managed to finish this beast… Argh.

Next will be a very, very heavily weathered build (weathering is way more tolerant of mistakes).

That’s sensational, dude. Great detail work. It’s MG, right?

Thanks!

Yes, it’s an MG, but also one of the most complex ones out there (I think some of the newer ver. ka might be comparable) . That’s why it took so long…

That looks amazing! Nice work!

Managed to get a bit of painting in this eve. :)

Nice!

I bought some brushes in advance of having to paint a very small pilot figurine for one of my models, plus to do weathering and detail painting on my Ma.K models (that’s probably the next one I will show here).

It’s going to be hard. Very different skillsets involved, I fear. And this thing is a cm tall.

Decided to do a new group shot.

That’s impressive, man.

Thanks! :)

Just awesome! Seeing impressive minis in a group is always better than seeing them individually.

Your blending is still something worthy of legend.

Thanks meeper. :)

I assume minis are better these days than those made by Ral Partha back in the days of my youth but something about the lack of detail present in such a small size make me thing “super deformed” or “chibi” whenever I see them.