QT3 hobby desk thread

I have no pictures to add, since I a) don’t do minis/ models and b) it would look like amateur hour compared to your stuff. I just want to say this is some seriously impressive work here.

Pretty much every picture here looks amazing, keep up the pictures!

I need to get a pic of my Galactica, you’d probably like that.

Wow Juan, that’s incredible!

I’m really happy how that turned out, even if there are many stupid mistakes (second model, I need to learn not to rush). What I hate about it: lost two pieces, one I had to live without, the other I had to make a putty copy of… Also the black things over the shoulder were mods to the original model that didn’t come out clean enough (I need to practice more doing mods).

Basically I’m trying to figure out what finish I like best with my first few models. The first one was a straight pre-shaded paint job following standard colors. In this one I did mods and minor weathering (which I really like). Next one will be a slightly damaged and very weathered bulky robot, this model following this weathering guide. And after that I want to do a no-weathering, very clean (almost no pre-shading) build.

The idea is to figure out what I like best (and what I can do best) before moving on to the really expensive $100+ models.

As of now, I think the heavy weathering will be too much, and that probably I’ll end up focusing on this kind of finish, but we’ll see.

Guilty as charged ;)

Amateur hour has arrived! As promised, I have begun painting my trollblood army, starting with Grissel Bloodsong and Grim Angus. I have finished my first model: Grissel.

For years I have played her with only her scarf painted a garish red. Like a beacon that scarf would pulsate amongst my unpainted models, urging the opposing player to find and assassinate her.

Now, she will still be a beacon, a fully painted beacon, but as I paint the rest of her army she will blend in amongst her comrades.

That looks really good! I really like the highlight in the green gem. The stuff I do is so much higher scale… I don’t think I would be able to be as detailed as this.

Nice work Rob!

The dreaded book…

Those are awesome, I can build models and airbrush plastic, but painting minis is beyond any of my skills. I’m always amazed by these things.

I have absolutely zero interest in trying to do any of this kind of work myself, but I can really appreciate the time, skill, and finished product. Keep it coming!

Hey there merry, I love your fleshtones. And did you do the writing in the book?

Thanks and yeah, the writing is freehand.

Guess it is time for more Hordes. Here is my Totem Hunter:

Holy moley, Juan, that is some gorgeous work you’ve done.

Also, props to the other painters in the thread, nice work so far! I’m still new to the whole world of miniature painting, and oh so slowly working through my Warmachine/Hordes models (Menoth and Trollblood). Here’s a couple of the not-as-terrible ones I’ve finished so far:

Temple Flameguards:

Revenger light warjack (I didn’t realize it, but apparently I got a Cygnar chassis for this thing in my starter box instead of a Menoth chassis; that’s ok, I like how it looks):

I don’t like how my other painted models so far have turned out; I improved my work significantly with the Revenger and Flameguards and will be stripping/repainting the other models once I finish up what I have for the faction. :)

Nice work Farscry! I really like your flaming paint scheme. I’m not sure how I feel about that abomination you’ve made with the charger chassis. It looks cool, but chargers deserve better than to serve dirty fanatics.

I like the cygnar (heathen swans don’t deserve to have their name capitalized) chassis on the Menite 'Jack. You can imagine that it might have been pulled off the battlefield in the early days of Menite "jack production and re-purposed.

You know you can get one of those desk-mounted magnifying glasses for about £10? :)

I felt the same as you – even with my reading glasses on the figures seemed impossibly small. Then I discovered the magnifying stuff Pod mentioned and haven’t looked back.

I started off with a desktop version not dissimilar to this [dickblick.com], although quite a bit cheaper. It’s very functional, but I found the ergonomics of having to move it around to catch light while keeping the right distance was annoying and destroying my neck. I’ve since graduated to MagEyes [mageyes.com]. Don’t let the 80s stock photos fool you; They’re ridiculously effective and can be found for ~$30.

Auugh - should not have clicked this thread. I love paining minis, but I do it as cheaply as possibly (ie., I usually use Ceramcoat craft paint, not the crazy expensive good stuff). My biggest issue is I don’t have a dedicated table to work on, so I end up using the kitchen table. The setup/teardown gets obnoxious and I end up going years without touching it just because of that. I really need to cram a little folding card table in the basement or something.