Qt3 Luddite: Reasons NOT to get an iPhone

All quotes from the crazy person’s blog Midnight linked:

Whatever the court may find, the AT&T case clearly demonstrates why it is profoundly bad judgment to give a telephone company (or most any other company) sensitive personal identifying information such as one’s SSN. Period.

Good luck living in a cardboard box with no checking account, cell phone, or car.

There were some scams where people would trick morons into giving them their SS# over the phone a few years back. Because of that the government started telling people to keep their SS numbers secret and companies also increased the amount of information they want for verification, which pretty much killed the scam.

Apple and AT&T are demanding customers reveal SSNs to activate their iPhones. That should be the lead of every technology and business article written this week.

Apple isn’t demanding shit, and AT&T isn’t asking for anything Sprint, Verizon Wireless, or T-Mobile would ask for. It should be the lead right after “Sun rises again. Scientists baffled!”

I’m sure that it’s possible to get a phone activated without giving up one’s SSN. I did it with my carrier several years ago by walking the issue up to a VP’s desk and posting a $1,000 bond for two years. So it can be done.

Yes, that was easy. All you have to do is act like a crazy asshole and give a company $1,000 for two years!

You got a problem with crazy people on the Intarweb? RLY?
Seriously, you youngsters are really blase about a lot of shit that pisses us old-skool hippies off. Must be a generational thing. There must be “conforming” additive in your Big Macs.

It’s attitude like that makes identity theft a growing threat every year.

But MS, that is a reason not to own anything more than a pay as you go cell phone, not an iphone… except of course your steel trap business mind might see lending a company $1000 for nothing and no return as a good investment.

Chet

Seriously, I can think of several much more intelligent things to do with $1,000.

If you want to make up bogus luddite reasons to not buy an iPhone how about starting at the source:

1. Cell phones are stupid.

If you are already past that one, then it doesn’t seem to me that the iPhone is all that bad a choice. At least it has a UI that doesn’t make you want to stab out your own two eyes with an ice pick.

My only reason right now is

1. The second rev will be so much better. When it gets 3G then I’m in. I’m not paying $600 for a phone that I can’t use around the world.

Bingo! My current phone was “free” and it’s $20 a month to do what I actually want a phone to do: let me talk to peeps on their phone. That’s what telephones were used for back in the day.

I’ll put my steel trap business mind up against yours any day, dear friend.

Uh… did you actually read this thread to get what epicboy was talking about with the $1000?

Well, sure. And I’m not giving a $1000 to another company to hold onto either. Anyway, you got an iphone yet? Is it better than sex?

Sorry for pointing out your inability to even follow the simple flow of this thread. Much like the real estate thread, I am sure you will now project plenty of bs onto me as a way to avoid looking at your own stupidity. Enjoy. Glad I can offer some relief to a serious bidness man as yourself.

By the way, I’m thinking of selling the bidness for seven figures and retire. Whatcha think of that, good buddy?

I think anyone who is so insecure as to have to continually brag about their financial state on forums as proof that they “win” an argument should seek some help.

Well, chet, it all started when I happened to mention how lucky I was getting out of real estate at the height of the Bubble.

Then, the true insecure people, IE: You got pissed off at that, no doubt cuz you bought some California shitbox for way too much money and somehow blamed me for it.

From that point on, I just continued to make jokes about it and really only at your expense. And since you keep reacting to them…

So now my McMansion is in California? Okay…

So you think continuing your projection of false claims as a way to avoid the logic of an argument should be continued? I notice you still haven’t taken me up on my real estate bet, but thats okay. Can you project me having a fancy podium in my California Mc Mansion? It would tie somethings up for me.

thanks!

chet

I’m so sorry. Please explain your hostility in your own words so I can get it right. Where is your shitbox? Do you rent? Do you have an iphone to show how cool you are? Do you like Halo? Please, tell me!

Sorry if your own allegations don’t add up, but keep throwing them!

I’m waiting for you to straighten me out. If you won’t do so, I have no choice but to keep making shit up. You decide.

When i say things like - there are places where it makes sense to buy a house - how does that mean I own a McMansion? Can you explain the logic trail you used there? If you can’t… that is a good place to start for you.

Chet