QT3 Missing In Action?

I suspect someone who thinks fucking a horse is a good idea is not going to be much impeded by the law.

From what I’ve read, Tom was not in favor of banning him, period. 2/3… out voted.

That was how it started out, but in the end everybody agreed.

I thought the long post I read from Tom said he was dissenting and then he went on with a lecture about Trump supporters and still doesn’t believe that gman’s lingo and his view is taken straight from white supremacy talking points.

He doesn’t want us to get into it here, so I won’t go on. But no, this isn’t an over issue. This will happen again, probably same sides, same disagreements and this weird idea that any of this had anything to do with Trump. There will be fewer around for the next one and probably less after that, and it won’t matter if Trump is in office or not.

No, he said he was planning to post about how he was dissenting, but in the end changed his mind.

The future is no longer arguing the dangers of racism, but instead arguing about the DEFINITION of racism.

This. I can understand minorities having a tighter and more broad definition of what is racist because they live and feel it. I do have trouble however being told by some white just out of college 20 something that what I am thinking and saying is somehow actually racist.

I do love my daughter though… :)

He ultimately changed his mind. He didn’t just go along with the majority - he came to the same conclusion.

I think you’re on target with this.

This probably right too although I don’t know if it something can be tighter and broader.

It’s a tall ask to ask minorities to share a space with white supremacy and to pretend it’s not happening if they ask some game related question somewhere else. It’s something I don’t think I can do.

For what it’s worth, I think this was an eye-opening incident for Tom. I’m not sure that anybody on the “Admin / Mod” team necessarily felt empowered to do anything other than remove obvious spambots prior to this incident. However, since the incident, I know of other inflammatory/troll users that have been outright banned/removed and neither of those were removed by Tom or with permission sought from him. I’m not sure any of the Admin/Mod folks here provide full-time moderation, and that’s always going to let creeps and other issues creep through.

However, from where I sit, I anticipate that problems in the same vein as the gman one will be handled much more quickly in the future. Those will be easier to identify when they aren’t in the P&R category, but I would encourage all of you to please use the flagging/reporting features of Discourse as soon as you think anybody has crossed the line of what should be acceptable. It helps when you provide a custom flag with an explanation when you use the feature.

You know, I changed the way I worded that and then didn’t re-read it. I suck on the intrawebs when it comes to checking my content.

If there are going to be bans of posters who aren’t obvious spammers, I protest very strongly the idea that bans should be issued without some notification to the forum at large. Is there a Discourse page which lists bans, banners, and reasons? If not, I think there ought to be a post with similar information.

Yes, perhaps we should have a public tribunal. Televised. Just to heighten the drama.

Sure, if you want to slippery-slope-argument it.

I’ll say it directly, I guess, rather than poking around the edges. If there’s any nuance at all in the situation, based on recent posts in the high-drama threads, the only person here who I know to be a moderator and trust to make good decisions is Tom. If other people are making ban decisions, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask that there be a record to consult.

Could you explain how to do that custom flag thing? I’ve not felt the need often but there was one point in the ignore thread where I did feel like flagging was appropriate and I couldn’t find a way to explain my reason along with the flag.

4000 Quatloos on the newcomer!

Under a post, click the ellipsis, then the flag, then select Something Else.

I got the general idea of what you meant.

See, I never reported that individual. I’m doing exactly what Tom said not to do here, talking about the one incident in this topic. I never reported him because what’s the point, it was very clear to me that the people involved with the reporting system saw no problem with what he was doing or what he was saying because they either engaged him or said so. In addition, that person had a lot of support under some sort of well he’s not a liberal umbrella.

My perspective, not only was I asked to sit a the table with a member of white supremacy, or at the most generous, play musical chairs and vacate any topic he entered, I was supposed to play nice with him should he show up in some game forum. And had he asked me whether he should push A or B or buy a game, he would have gotten the same two word response from me and a notation to never, ever talk to me again… Which means I can’t actually comply with Tom’s requirement for being a member of this community. When I realized that, I vanished for awhile.

And I swear to god if one more person posts some black person becoming buddies with a member white supremacy as some sort of Kumbaya way to live your life, I’ll just respond with the thousands of deaths of individuals who didn’t get to walk away from those encounters with cute stories to tell.

So that problem above, it didn’t go away. I don’t really know how I will handle it not if, but when it happens again, and I think the answer for some was to simply go somewhere where it’s not going to happen again because it would never get that far.

For what it’s worth, it was obvious to me what gman was, and I invested a considerable amount of effort over a few days trying to demonstrate clearly what he was. I’m aware that this effort annoyed a lot of people, but quite frankly simply ignoring him was not an option for me. I wasn’t trying to get him banned (I think @tomchick will confirm that) but at the same time I wasn’t willing to let him go unanswered.

Given that, it seems clear to me that another gman is going to provoke the same kind of response. By another gman I don’t mean a conservative or someone from the right; I mean a disingenuous troll who is only trying to score points on libs. Given that, it probably makes sense to ban people for that behavior, if for no other reason than to prevent them from destroying the environment. I don’t like that answer, but I’ve come to it reluctantly.

The violations were obvious. Signing up for an account and then making numerous racist or antisemitic posts, personal attacks, etc. within an hour. We’re all here because we’ve loved the place for years and nobody is going to start becoming the ban hammer for anything that isn’t obvious.

I understand your point. I would recommend that, in the future, you report posts you find problematic. There’s a lot going on in the nooks and crannies of the forum and flagging things you deem to be inappropriate is the best way to bring it to the attention of mods/admin. At the very least, it helps Tom and the rest of us understand better where the line should be drawn with regards to how people interact in the community, especially in P&R and heated conversations.

You are correct about that and I wouldn’t even limit it to somebody trying to “score point on libs.” Internet people spin out of control over all sorts of stuff, games included.