QT3 Missing In Action?

I hadn’t heard of fires up in your area. I guess down here the fire near Yosemite and the one near Redding are the ones getting all the coverage. I walk outside every morning now to the smell of the fire near Yosemite, and the sky is a constant gray.

Good luck to you and I hope the fires stay away from you.

The news only reports certain fires, maybe a handful at any given time.

I’ve totally derailed this topic enough with this but if you want to see most of them, not just the ones that hit the news. Here’s a better map.

The one getting the most attention is Carr. Now fires burning in the summer in the middle of nowhere… is not unusual. It’s not as scary as it looks, and a large chunk of that forest is government owned, not populated.

I think the news mentioned yesterday that there were 17 fires in California.

Not at all, appreciate the updates!

I mean, on some level, it’s good and healthy for fires. They’re a vital part of the ecosystem. I just didn’t realize the number!

For example, two weeks ago when driving from Chicago to Portland, I observed a few fires. One in Utah near the Idaho border. Small, and a few miles off the road. But in Idaho I really noticed the effects of a much larger fire that was out of my view. The Glen Ferry area had significant smoke in the air from a 20k acre fire in the area. Visibility south was noticeably lower, just a low haze.

So thanks for the link. It’s interesting to see!

Agreed, we are just happy to see you @nesrie

Can confirm. There’s a fire about fifty miles north of Boise, and until today, the smoke in the valley was so thick you couldn’t see the mountains.

I’m glad you’re still part of Qt3 Nesrie. I hope you stay safe.

Aw crap, he left? @ArmandoPenblade is awesome.

My wife is following some steps in a minimalist book. Each week, the books severely limits something, and you have to make due. This week, she asked me to participate with her. Last week if was outfits, this week it’s media, which, in her mind includes almost everything electronic (although I get to keep podcasts and music). I SHOULD be off of Qt3 for the next week. I’m going to probably spend the week reading books, something I generally avoid out of fear.

Books, especially Sci Fi and Fantasy, are highly stimulating, and I find in difficult to stop reading once I’ve started. It’s crack for my ADHD mind.

Wish me luck. If I stay true, I’ll be back next Sunday.

Get Blindsight by Peter Watts for free on his website.

http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

Good luck.

I’m going to be honest, I would LOVE that challenge. The problem is I work in tech and when I come home I’m also using laptops/mobile/technology, and … it’s addicting. I remember a distant past when I read ravenously and I remember it fondly. So many great reads that stick with you.

Enjoy your time away man. Pick something great and dig in. Both of you enjoy it together.

I lead a somewhat minimalistic life, although I am not as all-in as the Minimalists. It’s hard when one of my hobbies is model trains. I have two monitors connected to two computers on my desk (an Alienware Alpha and my MacBook). However, my house and work surfaces are clutter-free, and I try and limit how much crap comes into the house.

That said, I am decidedly non-minimalist when it comes to power cables. I have them al through the house.

Cal Newport has a book on Digital Minimalism coming out in February that looks interesting.

I just talked to my wife, and she relented a bit I can continue to read on QT3, but video games of any sort are out. As is Reddit, Facebook and most television.

On the reading front, I love to read, but everytime pick up a book I like, I end up avoiding all other tasks and responsibilities in favor of completing the book. If I am far enough along, I even forsake sleep in order to finish the book. During work hours, an unfinished book constantly nags me, always in the back of my mind. At night I tell myself I will stop at 1 chapter, and promptly read 4 or 5, or possibly stay up all night, thinking that finishing the book won’t take that long.

Maybe this time it will be different. I just don’t know. I wonder if this is similar to other addictions.

Maybe an audiobook that you both listen to? You’ll talk about it a lot while doing so. Or grab a wine bottle and a couple of glasses and go plop down somewhere outside and just talk about inane things.

I was at a concert last night and was looking disdainfully at a lady in front of me Facebooking while the show was going on, and I thought, why can’t she let it go for just a couple of hours?!? Then I caught myself taking pictures and video several times during the show. Mobile phones drive addiction behaviors like there’s no tomorrow.

Stop reading page-turners ;)

Everything is a page turner if your attention span is short enough. Or you put it down.

I’m the same way: I used to read like crazy but can’t get myself “motivated” to reach much at all. Of course having kids also stopped my ability to focus very well too…

I miss books. Seriously, I look forward to flights, and odd vacation days when I can get time and the ability to relax and unplug enough that I speed through a book.

I listen to audiobooks on work commutes and I don’t get the same feeling from them, usually.

I go to the gym three days a week. One of the things that gets me there in that I spend time on a bicycle there and when I do I read.