Let the Movie Club start again!
Previously, on Movie Club
- La Femme Nikita (1990) – roguefrog
- Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) – Aristophan
- El Rey de la Montaña (2007) – Christien McCrawsky
- Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (1995) – Athryn
- Groundhog Day (1993) – Soma
- The Thin Red Line (1998) – baren
- Rififi (1955) – Charlatan
- A Tale of Two Sisters (2004) – malkav11
- Happy Accidents (2001) – snowcrash22
- Dead Again (1991) – sinnick
- The Trial (1962) – extarbags
- Black Dynamite (2009) – Jasper Phillips
- Hard Eight (1996) – Moggraider
- Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) – Omniscia
- Twelve Monkeys (1995) – arakyd
- Yin Shi Nan Nu (1994) (aka Eat Drink Man Woman) – Rimbo
- The Quiet Earth (1985) – XtienMurawski
- Carriers (2009) – TomChick
- Infernal Affairs (2002) – Equis
- Oasis (2002) – Kyle Wilson
- Tromeo and Juliet (1996) – Talisker
- Seven Samurai (1954) – russellmz00
- Fresh (1994) – Tman
- The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) – Houngan
- Trouble Every Day (2001) – Kelly Wand
- American Splendor (2003) – Jon_Danger
- Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) – Jasper
- Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972) – Drastic
- Nine Queens (2000) – malkav11
- Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – madkevin
- Gangster No. 1 (2000) – BlueJackalope
- Whisper of the Heart (1995) – Ben Sones
- Out of the Past (1947) – Andrew Mayer
- Jaws (1975) – Joe O’Malley
- Night of the Hunter (1955) – madkevin
- Becket (1964) – Gordon Cameron
- The Three Musketeers (1973) – Rimbo
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) – Bullhajj
- Wonder Boys (2000) – tromik
- Swing Kids (1993) – Wholly Schmidt
- Amistad (1997) – Hanzii
- The Quiet Man (1952) – VegasRobb
- After Life (1998) – Mordrak
- A Midnight Clear (1992) – Bill Dungsroman
- Sorcerer (1977) – TomChick
What is Movie Club?
Movie Club is a thing we do on QT3 where someone picks a movie and posts a thread about that movie, and then we all talk about that movie. It’s a nice way to see new movies or movies you haven’t seen in a long time, or just great movies that you want to talk about some more! To be a member of Movie Club, all you need to do is watch the movie and participate in one of the movie club threads.
How does it work?
We use a script called the MovieSelectron 5000™. Every two to four weeks, I’ll run the script to randomly choose the next movie picker. Seems like that is a reasonable schedule to try to stick to, based on previous threads.
The selected person will be notified via PM, as well as posted in this thread. Once notified, the selection should be posted as soon as is feasible – take enough time to put some thought into it, but don’t agonize about it for too long :)
Note: if your selection isn’t available via Netflix, don’t expect much discussion (OTOH, if it’s available for instant streaming, you’ll get a lot more takers).
There’s no set discussion period; once the next selection is posted, have at it, for as long as there’s interesting stuff to say. Revisiting older Movie Club selections is strongly encouraged and factors into your chances for getting to pick the next movie, so if you missed an earlier one, well, go watch it, and let us know what you think!
Movie discussion threads should be posted in the same manner as in previous weeks (see above threads for reference). Include IMDB, Netflix, and any other pertinent links in the initial post, along with whatever brief non-spoiler background/introduction you deem appropriate. A link back to the main Movie Club thread (this one) would be good too :)
Finally, as always, the two primary rules:
1) No Complaining About Picks
Even if someone picks Battlefield Earth. If you hate the movie and can’t stand to discuss it, take a pass until next time.
2) Be familiar with the movie (aka: The “WATCHED IT” decree)
One of the goals of the club is to have discussions with folks who are familiar with the movie. That means even if you’ve seen it, you should watch it again before posting.
For very popular movies that everyone have seen (which tend to generate more replies), we have a special term that you need to include to receive club credit for participating: WATCHED IT. Just those two words, in all caps. Read the thread to know whether you need to do that or not.
Finally finally finally, thanks again to Kareem to getting the whole Movie Club ball rolling in the first place, and to Talisker for creating the MovieSelectron. Onward!