Qt3 Movie Podcast: 12 Monkeys

Sure she does. Through the best way to provide information in movies: USA Today.

MorseCode1

MorseCode2

MorseCode3

-xtien

“Hey, this is the only paper that’s willing to tell the truth: that everything is just fine.”

Oh. There I thought she was just reacting to the price.

Huh. I thought she was remembering the rapper. From the future!

-xtien

Yeah, Kelly’s right though; Reilly figures it out but she never relays that information to the future.

The only problem I have with these podcasts is the fact that they have a finite number. :,(

Isn’t the point of sending Bruce Willis back is to cause the plague?

It was very clear all those years ago to me that the dystopian future engineered by the vial-holding guy and his new accomplice he meets on the plane happens because the security is distracted by Bruce Willis. That they sent him back so that their dystopian future can actually happen.

That’s what everyone is saying here, right?

It’s also clear by the cinematography that the virus is released when he uncorks the vial before boarding the plane. It seems like the security guard is (due to the internal movie logic) Patient 0, and not that everyone else is infected.

Did you skip JoshL’s post? Because he lays it down unequivocally, no changing the past, which means Willis couldn’t have caused the plague. But perhaps you’re trolling?

I always thought that Morse’s hesitation in opening the vial was because he didn’t want to do the first release right there in the airport, but after a brief moment he’s resigned, as if thinking “may as well start now”. Additionally, the plague is supposed to be pretty virulent, so I imagine that more than just the guard are infected.

Thanks folks, love the movie and the podcast.

I’m not that subtle of a troll. I’d have to watch it again, i guess, as it’s been a long time. It seems like what JoshL is maybe? doing is conflating what the ‘4 evil heads of the broken state’ (i don’t remember their names) are telling Bruce Willis and what they actually want him to do. At least that’s my memory. I thought it was very, very clear they were pulling Bruce Willis’ chain the whole time, that they wanted the plague to happen because it gave them power, and because they figured out his crucial role at the start of their ascension.

I always thought 12 Monkeys was pretty straightforward and i’m curious now that i’m reading exactly the opposite of what i had always interpreted it to be.

I don’t think there’s anything in the movie that indicates that the Scientists are doing anything other than what they say they’re doing.

It’s been a long time, but doesn’t the movie end with the virus guy and the woman on the plane commiserating over how much they hate the world? And then we see her in charge of the world later?

Nope, you should watch it again.

Also, I wonder if people are confusing the TV show with the movie? In the TV show, they can (and do!) change the present/future by altering the past.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but that’s not really what happens. The only reason security would pay any attention to Virus Guy (as you call him…and I love that) is because Cole and Dr. Railly–sorry @JoshL, I really can’t take you seriously if you keep calling her Reilly, and don’t think you’re getting out of this by making a “His name is Connor!” joke–point him out. So what happens is the opposite since security was totally clueless before Dr. Railly starts j’accusing him. They draw attention to him and bring security, which is actually the police, into the situation. Yes, in the end, the police (you don’t have to turn on the red light) are distracted by shooting Cole. But he brought them there in the first place since they followed him to the airport and he was their target, so I hardly think you can pin distracting him from Virus GuyTM on Cole and Dr. Raily.

-xtien

“What do you mean, ‘when you were a kid’?”

Why did I think it was Reilly? It’s Railly. Maybe because “Railly” is a weird name. Anyway, I think that’s just her nom de plume, her real name is Seaman Beaumont.

Dang it. I knew I forgot something. Good catch, Cook’s Assistant Loginov.

-Capt. Bart Mancuso

I need to look online to see the theories about the ending, because the “insurance” line never made sense to me.

I had friends at the time who said, “Yeah, it means she killed him and stopped the plague!”, but that doesn’t match with everything else in the movie about not being able to change the past. Another interpretation is that she was able to go back and get a pure sample. Still another is that it’s a coincidence, that she was just an insurance salesperson at the time, even though she later became one of the few to survive the plague.

I honestly don’t know which one makes more sense. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious answer.

As I said, I always took it as a coincidence. Her lines do nothing to indicate she knows who he is and that it’s a first introduction. I rewatched the scene and the future scenes with her and she’s clearly older in the future (mostly through over using makeup in those scenes).

I thought she looked the same age. I took the quote to mean that she was the insurance in case Cole failed (which he did). Railly publicly exposed who was the virus carrier so the guys in the airport could have contacted the future and the woman was sent back to cut him off. The fact that she was sitting right next to him is too coincidental to be anything else in my mind. Things get pretty crazy when time travel is involved though.

Has Madeleine Stowe been in any other movies?

Yes. She played Zhena Stalkera in Stalker and Wilson in Cast Away.

-xtien

Uncredited, of course.