Qt3 Movie Podcast: 12 Monkeys

For my Terry Gilliam movie I would keep The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

He was the bravest of them all.

-xtien

At first I thought this was a clever joke but HOLY CARP this is actually coming out?!?!?

Well, it’s been shot. As for actually coming out, given Gilliam’s luck, I wouldn’t hold your breath. :(

-Tom

You are assuming that Don Quixote got shot.

Not joking, though, the documentary they made about Gilliam’s previous failed attempt to make a Don Quixote movie (“Lost in La Mancha”) is really good. It might be better than the movie would have been…

What did this donkey Otie do to deserve being shot?

Yeah, it’s pretty great.

I love documentaries about ambitious projects falling apart. Have you ever seen Persistence of Vision? It offers a detailed look at an incredibly talented animator, Richard Williams, attempting to realize his dream project The Thief and the Cobbler in fits and starts across a couple of decades. It doesn’t have a happy ending, but the little snippets of what Williams and co were going for are still breathtaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HR4Junqmzg

@divedivedive, holy shit indeed! Looks great, and it’s nice to see Jonathan Price in a Gilliam film again.

Between this and The Other Side of the Wind finally nearing completion, 2018’s delivering on legendary film maudits in a big way!

Assuming this is a serious question, she got it on with Daniel Day Lewis in The Last of the Mohicans. I’m actually not all that familiar with her work but I would recognize her voice anywhere. It’s very distinctive.

Ha ha, you got trolled by Bruce Geryk. Don’t feel bad, it’s even happened to me once or twice.

-Tom

I’m glad I found out about the Don Quixote trailer here first! Otherwise I would have had a heart attack when I saw it on the news ticker while waiting at the DMV today.

I finally got around to listening to this. Thanks to the crew and to Maroquadsonen for requesting one of my favorite movies of all time; it’s right up there with The Goonies. For next year, I nominate Ed Wood and then you’ll have seen 3 of my Top 5 Movies Of All Time.

I thought it was funny how you discussed how Bruce Willis, in the lead up to Die Hard, wasn’t considered much of a leading man, action star. Kind of a pretty boy, romantic comedy doofus from Moonlighting and Blind Date (any over/under on Blind Date?). I remember feeling the same way about Brad Pitt and I think it was this movie that made a lot of people take a second look at him as more than a pretty boy, stoner from True Romance.

Regarding the “I’m in insurance,” line, I thought this was just a throw away joke line about the fact that millions of people were about to start dying within the next few weeks. Also, she was there just to get the pure virus.

One more thing: giraffes running through the city streets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HigxGvmHEdQ
Note that the “radio news announcer” bit makes a return here.

So, I’m here to eat crow.

Obviously, there’s a ~40 year difference between present and past, so there’s no reason to think it’s her in the past as her original self. It had been awhile since I’d seen it, so I forgot all about the messenger giving him the gun from the future based off the message he had just recorded.

Now, I did listen to the commentary as well and they addressed the split opinion. They didn’t answer it directly, but they did point out the year difference so it was weird to have people thinking that, but there was a debate to be had.

They also weren’t positive on if the insurance line was in the script or was an adlib. Gilliam states that it was in the script, so I guess that’s pretty definitive.

I do find it interesting how differently we interpret the end. I obviously missed some key information and that imprinted it on me.

Speaking of Don Quixote . . . I actually find it too bad that he pulled it off. Lost in La Mancha is such a perfect encapsulation of Don Quixote and the perfect way to bring it together, in a failed attempt. It’s too bad Gilliam didn’t realize that.

I assume that Gilliam would rather present the storyline he intended, instead of the accidental one communicated by his failure. It must be frustrating to have something like that hanging over your head for this long.

Some very unfortunate Terry Gilliam news:

French newspaper Nice-Matin reports that a minor stroke prevented director and Oscar-nominated screenwriter Terry Gilliam from attending May 7 court arguments on whether his “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” will be permitted to close the Cannes Film Festival. A source in Cannes confirmed to IndieWire that Gilliam had “a kind of stroke” and “was in the hospital,” but the 77-year-old filmmaker is “at home now.”

This was immediately followed-up by:

I’m aghast at how prescient Tom is.

My heart can’t take much more of this.