Qt3 Movie Podcast: 21 Jump Street

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: 21 Jump Street
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When March 20, 2012

21 Jump Street is a surprise box office hit! But how does it go over with the Qt3 movie podcast? Listen to find out whether we're too high-falutin' to enjoy the greatest leap from TV to film since McG's Charlie's Angels..

Read the full article

I guess my comment is why wasn't this show about Tom's new film, which just came out in February?


We don't review porn, Bruce. No matter who makes it.

What the...??!?!? That dude stole my name! And maybe even my career!

Racking focus is just an extreme change of focus in a single shot - like a close up of somebody picking up a drink then racking to a full body shot of someone across there room. As far as I know, the technique you guys were talking about doesn't have a name.

Incidentally, one of the more famous instances of that is in the diner scene in Goodfellas, which I was sure Dingus was picking.

That would have been more clear if I hadn't typed it on my phone.

I wanted to link to a camera gimmick from Rosemary's Baby, but I can't find the right scene on Youtube. As I recall, Ruth Gordon was talking on the phone and Mia Farrow was watching through a doorway from the next room. Polanski wanted to subconsciously unsettle the audience, so he moved the camera over slightly. You can see 85% of Gordon, but the doorway blocks the other 15%. The story goes that when the sequence was screened for the studio, everyone in the theater simultaneously leaned to one side to try to see her face.

I love that choice.

It reminds me of watching some TV show as a kid. I want to say it was Charlie's Angels, and not just because the blurb above mentions that show. I've always remembered it as Charlie's Angels, but looking at the clips of the intro tells me I'm probably wrong.

Whatever show it was, there was a brief shot of a woman removing her panties, or bikini bottoms. Something like that. However, the shot was close on her lower legs, so you couldn't really see anything as the rest of her body above that was out of frame. I remember watching that intro when nobody was in the room and scrunching up close to the television set and trying to look up into the screen.

Poor demented child.

I had thought I heard about the Vertigo thing as being called a crash zoom, but maybe I'm just confused. I do know there was a special technique involved in the cool Vertigo effect, it involved pulling the camera physically backwards very quickly while simultaneously zooming in on whatever you're focused on. So it has this weird disorienting effect of pulling in on the character while everything else kind of drops away.