Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: bus scenes

We’ve seen Bad Batch, Marjorie Prime, and Gator. We’ve also seen a lot of cool bus scenes in movies. We’ll tell you about some of them on this week’s 3×3.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/06/04/qt3-movie-podcast-3x3-bus-scenes/

Does anyone mention the bus scene in Alfonso Cuaron’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban? That was a trippy way to start that movie. Certainly the bus ride was interesting in the book, but the movie made it really surreal.

Attica! Attica! Attica!

There are these:

And pretty much everything else after that.

I loved that scene in The Graduate. Along with the whole movie, of course. I watched it as a 15 year old, and it seemed so natural to me that those two would fall in love. But it was interesting watching that movie later as an adult. Nothing really happens between them that would make me think the two should fall in love with one another. But as a teenager it makes total sense anyway, of course they’ll fall in love! It made me wonder if I go grow more jaded as an adult, or become more realistic.

Dingus. I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear your #1 choice for this week’s 3x3. I hope you get to talk more about this film more some other time - it’s a low-budget peach. Thanks.

I am listening to the podcast now. So I am not aware if any of these have been chosen.

My three favorite bus scenes in no particular order:

1.) Midnight Cowboy

@Jason_Levine hs this listed above as well. Just watch the brilliance of two great actors just discovering their powers,unleashed by John Schlesinger.

2.) It Happened One Night

See below. Pre-code 1934 Frank Capra delivers the “proles” on the bus.living life more fully that the rich will later at the wedding. I gave this one to @ChristienMurawski as a vote because @marquac mentioned I should when we were talking about it.

3.) Dirty Harry

The father of every modern action bus scene. Slow down ,Speed, and take a back seat to the Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood brilliance (Siegel even has an “It Happened One Night” reference in the Bus Scene, subtly…brilliant!). And no bus villain has anything on Scorpio (Andrew Robinson, of DS9 fame as Elim Garak, @BrianRubin, @divedivedive) .

Andrew Robinson = the best.

“Well, people kept ringing the bell!”

You’re awesome, Dingus.

@ChristienMurawski, hmmmm…

And if you’ll pardon my crossing the forum streams for a moment, tomorrow is the release of the Victory Is Life expansion for Star Trek Online, which has a bunch of DS9 actors returning to voice their characters, Andrew Robinson included!

Oh, bus scenes? OK how about catbus?

Oh, and this one is just to troll @tomchick after listening to the podcast.

Bye, Tom!

giphy%20(19)

Good call.

I was thinking about The Dark Knight as well, but wanted to keep my picks to inside the bus. If I was to pick a scene just involving a bus I think I would have to go with Ghost World.

I’m very pleased that someone else has such fond feelings for this movie. I could talk about it for hours. Watching it again…I don’t know…it just wrecks me. And yet gives me joy and inspiration at the same time. That scene in the music store in the early part of the movie, when they are still getting to know each other and figure out what their Venn Diagram is floors me. You see it happening in Glen Hansard’s face as they start to play and she instinctively harmonizes with him. And then you see it from a totally different perspective when there is a quick shift to a shot of the shop owner, and this little flash of joy on his face at the music that is happening in his store, just because he has chosen to be kind.

And of course you see it in the hoover shop, in the back and forth with the father as he allows her to pay for the repair, giving her a small token amount because she insists. Because she has pride and he respects that. Little touches like that. Little touches that don’t have to be explained, but are lovely to talk about.

Also, I’ll never tire of the way people in that part of the world use the word “brilliant” in conversation. I can’t explain it, but it gives me a thrill every time. Like when he’s going through the chords with her at the piano and she’s figuring out her parts of the song.

I’m really happy this pick worked for you.

-xtien

-It’s fucking brilliant.
-Really?
-Fantastic stuff. That’ll be a hit. No question.

@marquac and @Navaronegun:

kramerbus

-xtien

@ChristienMurawski @marquac

Partridge

Heck yeah, Marjorie Prime!

Speaking of @marquac, btw, I forgot to talk about this on the podcast. It’s a short scene on a bus, but I really love it, and how it falls within the scene that is happening as a flashback.

There’s a jump-scare here, but I forgive it because I love this movie so much.

Also, the reason I bring up Chris is because he made this gif for me as well:

-xtien

Just a reminder that you need to send in any comments if you have seen Thoroughbreds by tomorrow? Is that right, @ChristienMurawski?