Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: fake celebrities

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: fake celebrities
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When July 1, 2019

You know when a movie has to invent a celebrity instead of using an actual celebrity? Let's talk about when that happens. But first, let's talk about The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Ozark, and Hotel Mumbai..

Read the full article

1. Three Amigos, Amigo #1
  2. Three Amigos, Amigo #2
  3. Three Amigos, Amigo #3

I have to call out one of my online friends.

I generally have a beer during the movie podcast. For some unknown reason, out-of-the-blue, @Chappers arranged to buy us a beer last night. I have no idea why…he just did it. From across the country.

It was a really nice gesture, and i don’t mean to embarrass him, but I was pretty touched.

Also…it was delicious.

-xtien

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us happy.”

My spider sense told me you needed one, thanks to @tomchick for arranging.

Alex

My theme is celebrities that are somehow “fake” within the universe of the movie itself.

1. S1mone - I haven’t actually seen this since it came out, and I’d be curious to see how it holds up in this age of Hatsune Miku, holographic zombies, Youtube celebrities and deepfakes.

2. Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story - thinks he’s a galaxy-famous space ranger, has to come to terms with being a plastic toy

3. Bob Roberts - right wing populist uses his celebrity to boost his presidential campaign (sounds familiar), then fakes an assassination attempt.

Non-themed choices:

1. Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

2. Zoolander

3. English Bob, Unforgiven

Also, Mystery Men is totally underrated. It’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s very funny and has some fantastic ham.

There’s some dope bits in Holmes & Watson too. Never trust the masses on comedy. Or anything.

Well, from reports of behinds the scenes strife and it being chopped down to half its running time, I’m pretty sure DePalma hates Domino even more than you do Tom.

Little-known fact: The Osterman Weekend is based on a true story.

So is Capricorn One, but you don’t see us making a big deal about that.

-xtien

“Shit. I was such a terrific guy.”

Dreamed last night was watching a Peckinpah reboot of Solo. Still had story issues, had no idea what accent Ali MacGraw thought she was fuckin’ doin’.

Dammit, how could I forget Norma Desmond! I need to redo my list.

-Tom

Isn’t there a washed-up celebrity in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang who dies falling off the balcony while robbing cookies from someone’s apartment? Robot suit?

Blind Mag in Repo: A Genetic Opera. Advertiser/Influencer/Celebrity/Musician all rolled together in a bizarre mix. A perfect fit for a very strange movie. Bonus points for a fake celebrity in a movie with Paris Hilton in it.

Eddie in Eddie and the Cruisers.
Both the original and the sequel. Dude is struggling with having “made it” and what that means to his sense of self and his relationships.

Ruby Rhod in The 5th Element.
Surreal blend of reality show host, talk show host, and Joan Rivers style celeb red carpet interviewer. Wonderful 4th wall nudging commentary that adds to the overall zaniness that is the whole movie.

I’m getting close to the end of the podcast and no one has mentioned Rainbow Randolph or Smoochy the Rhino yet. It’s making me nervous.

Just finished the podcast and I think we can all agree that 61 is the most selfish number.

Exactly! It’s like 69, but one of the participants isn’t really into it.

-Tom

Been on that date.

-xtien