Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: favorite insects

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: favorite insects
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When August 26, 2019

This week we talk about a topic that's been bugging us. The 3x3 starts at 24:05. But first, we watched a few movies. Basic Instinct at 2:00, Booksmart at 10:05, The Wedding Guest at 16:08, and Light of My Life at 17:15..

Read the full article

The Last Emperor
Them
Paths of Glory (“Now you got the edge on him”)

I stand by my pick and present the following evidence as my appeal. I will concede that the things that wiggle around under Amy Seimetz’s skin are probably annelids, but the thing that goes in her drink is totally an insect larva.

Those are good sources of protein too.

Beginning of the End.

Hey, take it up with the 5-0. You’re the one that got pulled over.

(Great pick, though.)

Oh, god, I remember that one. CG can’t come soon enough.

-Tom

“Don’t blame me for getting busted. All I did was call the cops.”

Gutsy stance, Chick.

Mothra
The Deadly Mantis
Angry Red Planet (rat bat spider)

Are spiders bugs, or is it just insects? Because I have a soft spot for Eight Legged Freaks.

Otherwise, Brundlefly

Chitin? Multiple legs above the number four? Bug. That includes pill bugs and lobsters.

Hard to see that and not think of Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan. ;)

I know it’s not a movie, but how about a hand for the Zanti?

I’d say yes.

59100_500x279

You said it.

How about these weirdly transparent wasps from Food of the Gods.

Or how about this chicken. While chickens aren’t bugs necessaily, they eat them.

-xtien

Great, now we got the herpetologist started.

Gah, they’re phase-shifting wasps!

-Tom

Scary CG: The T-1000.

Funny CG: Baby Groot. C’mon!

http://i53.tinypic.com/b4bz9i.jpg

Nope, nope. Think about it. All Robert Patrick’s acting: his face, his running, his lack of affect. Emulating a floor pattern doesn’t scare me. Proof: Kristanna Loken in T3 has even more CG and isn’t scary at all.

Not funny so much as cute in a Lion King reboot way. Although I will give you Jarjar Binks’ tongue antics.

Scary CG: Annihilation Bear

Actually, there’s a lot of decent scary/unnerving CG in that. Exception that proves the etc. I guess Samarra’s jump-cut in The Ring’s also good. And The Grudge.

I’d just seen It for the first time before we recorded, which seemed to crystallize my cynical theory. Maybe I should rephrase to “The least scary clown is inherently scarier than the scariest CG.”

But if you consider the scariest scenes in all movies, no CG graces the top of the list. It’s usually a freaky human with clippers.

'K, new theory from my grandpa: only black and white movies can be erotic.