Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: sandwiches

Apologies to Kelly, I sent in my pick one day too late. Here’s what I said:

Even though I’ve just eaten a damn tasty burger from that Hawaiian burger joint, I can only think of one sandwich in a movie:

“This is egg salad. Full of cholesterol. My wife won’t let me touch the stuff.” In Mystery Men, the Shoveler gives a rousing speech which ends with “So are we gonna go kick some ass… or am I gonna eat this sandwich?”

Probably the only inspirational sandwich in a superhero movie.

This one really stumped me. I couldn’t think of a single memorable sandwich, though some of the ones described on the podcast did seem good (I guess I need to see Chef). Even with a somewhat extended definition including burgers et al, I’d just be going through the motions. Could be something about me, I suppose. Although food/cooking is very important to me, not many of the big food moments in cinema particularly resonate with me.

Depends if you think of shawarma as a sandwich.

-xtien

I also briefly considered the MLT that Miracle Max talks about in The Princess Bride. But you don’t actually see a sandwich. He just describes it.

-xtien

“True love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT…mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. When the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They’re so perky. I love that.”

Nobody looks very inspired in that scene, Dingus!

Yes. But I was.

And that’s what matters.

-xtien

“Well then, son…you’ve got a condition.”

This is the first thing that came to mind. Definitely one of the best scenes in the movie.

In case anyone is curious, the picture at top is from The Atomic Kid.

Yep, we talked about it on the podcast. I forgot about the bit with the sandwich stuck to the window at the end and the reverse angle. That Spielberg fella knows what he’s doing.

Also, it’s freaky seeing the woman who plays Squeaky Fromme in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood when she was just a cute little bug. Those Fannings!

-Tom

surprised this one didn’t come up.

Robert Duvall in A Civil Action sets up his office in the law library stacks and eats his pre-wrapped sandwich. A great way to establish the disturbing weirdness of his character.

Point Break.

“Johnny. Get me two!”