Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: soup!

The appetizer is a discussion of Cold War, Abduction, and Burning. The main course is soup.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/02/04/qt3-movie-podcast-3x3-soup/

@marquac made these for me, at my request. I love them so. These scenes perfectly encapsulate why I love this Kelly Wand topic.

Just look at that last woman’s face. That’s a mixture ecstasy and being transported to home.

Now here’s Primo, who has provided these feelings. Just gearing up for everything else he’s going to provide. Like an athlete at the top of his game. I love this character take.

And finally, this is the end of the movie, which never fails to just totally slay me.

This movie perfectly captures why cooking for people is more than simply feeding them. Thank you again, @marquac. You rock.

-xtien

“To eat good food is to be close to God.”

Oh yeah, that last scene is amazing. I’m not a foodie at all, and I still like that movie.

Also, Deckard is definitely eating noodles in that scene (he might also be eating dumplings, but they definitely show him eating noodles). It might be just noodles and no soup, but it isn’t clear. I wasn’t kidding though. I want my goddamn outdoor ramen bar.

-xtien

“Really good noodles.”

Oh my this soup’s delicious, isn’t it?

For posterity, my soup email

This is a difficult subject, because, if you think about it, isn’t EVERY movie about soup, really? When we talk about a movie from start to finish, we say “Soup to nuts”. When a character is in trouble we say he is “in the soup”. When we watch someone like Jake Gittes trying to solve a mystery, or Rick Blaine trying to muddle his way through difficult times, we know that what they are really trying to do is get themselves a nice chowder or bisque.

And despite the fact that every Anime movie, without fail, has a scene where people eat ramen, I will take pity on you and not mention any of them.

#3: “Oh, that tea smells gruesome.” “It’s soup”. “Oh, do you think I could have some?”. The soup in Bone Tomahawk represents subverted expectations; you expect tea, but you get soup. You expect a wild west adventure, but you get a horror movie. You thought maybe you’d never see Matthew Fox again, but there he is.

#2: As a kid growing up in L.A., nothing colored my picture of the future more than Blade Runner. No, I didn’t care about flying cars, or offworld colonies or humanoid robots. What I was looking forward to was walking up to a roadside bar on a rainy evening, and ordering a ramen, just like Deckard. It’s 2019 and I’ve still never seen an open-air, roadside ramen bar. Ridley Scott lied to me. I’m devastated.

#1: I think we all know that when the definitive history of soup in movies is written (and Ebert has been taken from us, so I think you’ll have to do it, Kelly), there is only one movie that can be considered the apex, the sine qua non of soup in movies. Yes, you know what I’m talking about. Poor Kate Capshaw, presented with such horrifying foods as live snakes and beetles, orders a “simple soup”. But of course when she puts in her spoon, it’s got eyeballs in it! Oh, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, you and your wacky hijinx.

Thanks, and do make sure to give us some notice when you’re going to do “Salads in movies”, because that one is going to be difficult.

I’m behind on podcasts, not quite finished with this one yet, but I’m dying to know, does anyone write in with Remy’s soup from Ratatouille? “She likes the soup.”

Nobody wrote in with that. But I throw it in in passing as a runner-up.

-xtien

“Stop that soup!”

I can’t get a good grab of it, but in Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne is given a bowl of what could charitably be called soup in the prison in Asia. It’s this dinky, beat-up metal plate with what looks like dirty water and some unidentifiable solids sitting in it.

Is there a movie that portrays this famous anecdote?

The instructor shared a story to illuminate the difference between etiquette and manners. She used what some call an urban legend about Queen Victoria entertaining another country’s dignitary at Buckingham Palace. Over the course of the meal, finger bowls were brought out and placed at each attendee’s setting. The dignitary, assuming standards of his own culture, respectfully picked up the bowl in both hands and drank the warm water. Those of Queen Victoria’s court anxiously looked to the Queen for her next action. With grace, she picked up her bowl in both hands and followed suit, changing the purpose of the finger bowl in that setting and for that meal. Some would affirm, “It’s good to be Queen.” The instructor clarified that Queen Victoria exhibited good manners choosing not to embarrass her guest dignitary, although it is improper etiquette to drink out of a finger bowl, or use the finger bowl for any other purpose than it’s meant.

I think that could be a memorable movie scene. It wouldn’t technically be about soup, but it would be about the perception of soup. Soup in the bowl of the mind, if you will.

I’m almost certain that happens in the movie Crazy Rich Asians.

-xtien

Found it!

ruprecht

It half happens. He stops her from drinking it instead of downing his own bowl. Thank you for getting me to watch this movie, though. It’s lovely and compelling and Jimmy O. Yang has a flare rocket launcher.

Ah. Excellent point. I forgot that it played out that way. I had forgotten the scene. It’s more of a gag that way, whereas the example you suggest has a certain…I’m not sure how to put it…grace to it.

Still, your question is…well…to quote Jed Bartlet in one of my favorite episodes: “Now that’s a thought that’s going to fester.” Because I’m certain there’s something along those lines. Now my brain is going to try to run it down.

-xtien