Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: worst redemptions

First a little talk about Shape of Water, The Dinner, and I, Tonya. Then our 3×3 of worst redemptions.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/01/04/qt3-movie-podcast-3x3-worst-redepemptions/

Redepemptions?

So @tomchick is I, Tonya as good as The Bronze, which I enjoyed tremendously?

They don’t have as much in common as you’d think. I, Tonya isn’t very irreverent at all. It’s a slightly black comedy about someone who perseveres through abuse. It suggests very strongly that Tonya Harding has no knowledge of what her husband’s cronies did to Kerrigan. Which is ridiculous. It also equates the public reaction against Harding – which was justified – with domestic abuse. Uh…

That said, it is pretty good. Allison Janney’s take-no-prisoners performance is a joy to watch.

-Tom

I loved it. Run, don’t walk. Towards, not away. Truth, shmuth.

Source material doesn’t matter only if the source material is fictional as well. Like comic books.

Is it too late to lobby the podcast on which movies they should choose for their top 10 of 2017?

No. Especially if they are movies we may not have seen yet that you want to put on our radar.

-xtien

Must have got the year wrong on The Call featuring Halle Berry, which is rather good until all the other victims are denied justice.

Pleased to hear Steve Coogan has produced another good performance, he is more than his comic grotesques.

Exactly: comic books, Bibles, sports, Hard Copy…all fair game.

I don’t think the scene at the end of Die Hard is, or is supposed to be redemption. Al’s overcoming, making peace with his guilt over a mistake to become a functioning police officer/human again, but he’s not redeeming anything. I never got that implication.

Since the primary definition of redemption is the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil, it certainly is. It is, in fact, just about the same thing as you say above.

Don’t split hairs with me on words, Josh. I’ll go toe-to-toe with you, Mister! :)

-xtien

I still disagree! :)

Accepting guilt, forgiving oneself, isn’t redemption. The shot certainly wasn’t redeeming. It only was a manifestation of learning to live with his past mistakes. He wasn’t saved (and didn’t save himself) from sin, error, or evil. Recognizing that his error doesn’t have to define his future might be personal growth, but not redemption.

If disagreeing with me means you then go on to make my point while saying that’s not what you’re doing, more power to you!

I’m not saying it’s a good example of redemption. I’m saying it’s the worst example of redemption from one of the best movies.

Well the first part of that isn’t what happens. He’s already accepted the guilt, long ago, and in fact he has spent the subsequent time wallowing in it, unable to properly do his duty. So I don’t know what you’re talking about lumping that in there. However, the act that enables him to forgive himself by doing what he said he would never ever be able to do again because of the guilt…that is certainly redemption. That’s what redemption is. His act has saved him from the paralysis caused by the earlier sin, or error. And in doing this act, he is overcoming his guilt, and thus being saved.

I don’t understand how you don’t see that. As a sentence I demand you watch the other movies in the series. Back-to-back. Tonight.

-xtien

Yes, this is all splitting hairs. Back in the day, the scene in question bounced off me with nary a shrug as acknowledgement.

You’re, correct, I mis-‘spoke’. Reconciling would have been a better word than accepting. In fact I’d characterize the moment as one of reconciliation with himself, which is subtly distinct from self-redemption.

In either case, the shot didn’t earn the character growth. It was a post facto manifestation.

Sigh… maybe it was supposed to be redemptive, but it was so dumb, and that’s my problem.

I yield!

I actually had a hard time as I went through preparing my list, understanding the nuances between these very two words. So I have to admit that you’re right to highlight the distinction, as I never came to peace with myself over which was which fully. I dropped a few other things off my list because I couldn’t swing the pendulum the way I wanted to.

I’m glad you brought this up.

-xtien

The Nebula stuff is also a reconciliation, not a redemption. She’s not redeeming anything, they fight it out, come to understand each other better and reconcile. If anone’s atoning for anything in those interactions, it’s Gamora.

Now Yondu, he gets an actual redemption.

A local resident from here in Sonoma, CA reported on figure skating in the 80s and 90s. She’s with @tomchick.

Edit: lol. Robbie + Kidder = Kiddie

Yeah this was a lot more intense than I thought it would be, and a very different movie than The Bronze, which is clearly a black comedy.

I, Tonya is gunning for introspection into the soul of America, and to its credit I think it mostly succeeds at that.