Qt3 Movie Podcast: Alien: Covenant

I don’t know if I brought it up during this podcast. I think I talked about it as a sidebar when we were doing Runner-Ups (it’s probably Runners-Up, like how RBI is pluralized) after the Vehicle Horns 3x3.

At any rate, @tomchick asked me for a clarification of Captain America’s to-do list when I talked about something that had been crossed out, and his new 20:20 frame called the conversation to mind.

Here is your answer, Tom:

-xtien

“I do share. I’m nice like that.”

@ChristienMurawski, did you know that list got localized for various versions of the movie around the world?

I did not! And look at what is not crossed off on any of the other lists.

Curious.

-xtien

I watched this. new alien movie.

I think theres better storytelling in a G.I. Joe episode. Saying is a bad movie is being gently. Is less than a movie. And filmaking experiment on making a bad movie out of the bad parts of good movies. And non interactive theme park trough scenes from prior movies. Is so bad, I would burn all the copies with a flamethrower. Despite what seems hate in this comment, I don’t hate it, really, for what is, I lament what is not.

I really like that comment, Teiman. Well said.

I hated nearly every decision they made in that movie… When watching movies like that, you reach a point where instead of wondering what happens, you’re just hoping that each and every one of those “”#%"… will get killed off.

If people like those made up the majority of humanity, Humans would have never have left the planet and most likely died off as soon as they came across a field of poisenous mushrooms.

“oh, this looks safe, I’ll cook a stew and invite everyone for dinner…”

I don’t mind stupid people. I see one of these every day int the mirror.

Is really the movie did not … moved me in any way. It was not scaring or cool or amazing or mesmerizing. I did not delieverd in any promise it made… I imagined or somebody may make. Only checked the checkbox of [ ] A aliens movie.

(after consulting my lawyer, he forced me to post this funny, very funny, fun image. have fun).

he

haha.

That movie needed a Worf.

You go girl!

http://imgur.com/ptDmx

So, I finally watched Alien Covenant, and to my surprise, the clip you’ve been playing at the end of every movie podcast is from this (“Is that a question, sir?”). But after also listening to the AC podcast, I don’t think I quite understand why you’ve chosen to enshrine that particular exchange between FassWalter and Dr. Manhattan. Care to explain? In at least one episode, you’ve even talked over the clip, like you don’t even realize you’re playing it.

Gah, any talking over it was an editing mistake on my part. I screwed up the sync a few weeks ago, but uploaded a fixed version within a few hours. That might be what you heard.

As for why that clip? I wish I could tell you there was some meaning or even an inside joke. But it’s just there because it’s a moment we liked from a movie we didn’t like. I think we all liked Walter, and Billy Cruddup’s character was interesting, so that exchange was funny for us. Well, me. Dingus and Kelly didn’t object, so it’s stuck. But I should warn you that, like the Last Witch Hunter line before it, it could change at any moment. Enjoy it while you can!

-Tom

I like it because it’s always enjoyable to listen to Billy Crudup stumble his way through that tortured dialog, only to have Fassbender respond “is that a question?”

Every time I hear it, I wonder how long it took Billy Crudup to learn that line, and how many takes it took to get it right.

Yes! It sounds dangerously on the verge of an actor not knowing if he’s getting his line right as he’s saying it. But for me, it also works as someone reciting some half-assed spiritual blandishment that’s so broad as to be meaningless. I love the idea that this guy is the captain of the ship now.

-Tom