Qt3 Movie Podcast: Avengers: Infinity War

So how did the biggest crossover event in history turn out?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/04/30/qt3-movie-podcast-avengers-infinity-war/

Wait. That picture…wait. What?

-xtien

“You guys are so screwed now.”

The iTunes podcast feed doesn’t have this or last week’s Death of Stalin. Did it break again?

You mean, marketing lied? Say it ain’t so!

They’ve both showed up for me.

The feed doesn’t have the last two entries in Overcast or in the Apple Podcasts app. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Drax the Destroyer imitations bust me up.

“Ah ha ha ha ha. You weren’t even this fat in Parks and Rec.”

I think I would pay just to hear the three of you cracking each other up, it’s infectious.

My anticipation for Avengers: Infinity War is exceeded only by my anticipation for this ’opsis!

Also: I NEED to know what that Avengers Theme remix was during the opening!

Hey Dingus, have you heard about this follow-up to one of your over/unders?

Just another data point that this podcast and death of Stalin hasn’t shown up in my feed (using Apple podcast app or Overcast on iOS). I’m in Australia if this makes any difference.

I gotta admit I was kind of dreading this movie, because Thanos and the Infinity Stones have been a wet blanket over Marvel Universe, and it seemed impossible to juggle that many characters. However, turning Thanos into the protagonist and giving him the character arc was a stroke of genius that actually makes this thing work.

Yeah, there’s structural problems, chiefly how many goddamn times they hit the not trading lives beat, and, well, making Thanos the protagonist doesn’t completely solve the fact that this is a bifurcated movie.

Spoilery predictions:

The old school Avengers will trade their lives for half of the universe’s, Thanos will find a math victory hollow compared to giving up what he loves, Gamora will be resurrected because she’s contained within the soul stone, Loki will be dead because he’s not.

The Earth Stuff is kind of drag compared to the other plots. The history of Thanos? It’s the heart of this thing. Thor and the Guardians? Like a pirate crossed with an angel. The Earth heroes in space? Two thumbs up. Wanda and Vision and friends somewhere on ehhhhhhhh…sorry, I just lost interest.

But my favourite pithy observation about this movie is that Marvel just made the best DC movie by turning the Hurgh I Am The Manly Man That Makes The Hard Choices protagonist into the villain.

Yes, please, Tom. Share the source for that intro remix.

I’m betting Tom made it himself on his Synclavier.

-xtien

“Dude. You’re embarrassing me in front of the wizards.”

I’ve been trying to figure out why the last couple movie podcasts haven’t been showing up in my feed. What I’ve learned is that your feed URL is responding very slowly. On my machine here, it took 20.29 seconds to curl the URL (Quarter to Three Movie Podcast), pretty much the simplest request method out there.

I fed it to a few feed validators. Most timed out. These two had interesting things to say.

Is something there?
First we check if something’s at the URL, and that it takes a reasonable amount of time to retrieve.
It took about 12.2 seconds to get the feed—anything over 5 signals that something is pretty wrong. If this isn’t addressed, you may find that episodes (or worst case, the podcast itself) will disappear from iTunes and other podcast directories.

Your feed file size is very large.
It’s best practice to keep your feed size under 512K.
File is 799.94K
File is over by 287.94K

It’s working fine at the moment w/ PocketCasts (the best podcast app, I mean really…) but here’s a link about reducing feed size:

Looking at the feed, it appears that the guys are using Blubrry podcast hosting, which uses PowerPress. So perhaps the suggestion in that article about activating the “Feed Episode Maximizer” would help.

After all these years and multiple attempts from people to explain it to me, I still have no idea what this feed business is all about. But I checked our PowerPress settings – that’s one thing I do know how to do – and we already have the Feed Episode Maximizer enabled. However, there was a setting for “Show the most recent X episodes”, with a default setting of 45, and a maximum setting of 300. It was set at 500.

I turned it down to 45 and clicked “save settings” at the bottom of the page. But when I click @baren’s link and then endpage to the bottom, it still shows our Paranormal Activity episode, which was the first podcast and therefore about 445 episodes ago.

I’m open to any ideas, but I am completely out of my element with this stuff. :(

Oh, and here is this lovely bit of interpretive remixing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdFsp3q0Y8

-Tom

Hi I’m about halfway through the movie podcast and loving the discussion.

I just want to mention that I don’t think everyone on Thor’s ship is dead. If I remember Thor said that half of his people are dead, and the movie establishes that Thanos’ (or Thanos’s? or Thanii? Thanoss’?) M.O. is to kill half a population.

The point is some of your favorite Thor sidekicks could return. Maybe Valkyrie in a ladies of marvel movie?

I would love for you to be right, and that makes perfect sense about Thano’s MO. But since we saw the ship explode, and since the Guardians arrive to a field of junk and bodies, doesn’t that mean no one survived? :(

-Tom

Yeah you might be right, it might be a moot point anyway since I don’t think they are making another Thor. I’m not sure if they have any interest in fitting those characters into other movies.

Another thing, the weird stuff with the hulk/bruce banner. Some of the best hulk comics I read as a kid revolved around him/them going to therapy. No joke. The writer (I think his name was Peter David) did some really interesting things with a character that to often has just one note.

Last thing, I think ant-man is not in the movie just so his movie can come out this summer and they don’t have to explain the fact that half the population of the world is missing. Based on no knowledge I am confident the two movies will take place at the same time.

I’m guessing Marvel knows what they’re doing, and the Ant Man - Wasp movie will dovetail conveniently w the events of Infinity War.