Qt3 Movie Podcast: best of 2017

Never mind all those awards and critics circles and box office results. Using the power of science and lists and our resident synopsist, we determine the best movies of the previous year!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/01/08/qt3-movie-podcast-best-2017/

This is my favorite podcast each year. I love the math. And the way it triples the length of my “to see” list. Thank you guys!

About two thirds of the way through the podcast and @sinnick, you are awesome. I love how the software led to some very funny moments.

Glad to see some love for Personal Shopper. You really should watch it, Tom, especially given your love of The Neon Demon. They’re doing different things, but there are some interesting parallels, I think. And don’t worry about your negative reaction to The Clouds Of Sils Maria - I didn’t like that very much at all either.

Write down the lists! I can’t be expected to remember a buncha words that people say.

Dingus

10 Your Name
9 Call Me By Your name
8 Lucky
7 Dunkirk
6 Wind River
5 Personal Shopper
4 Atomic Blonde
3 Logan
2 Blade Runner 2049
1 Lady Bird

Kellywand

10 Lady Bird
9 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
8 Get Out
7 Split
6 Atomic Blonde
5 Blade Runner 2049
4 Mother!
3 Raw
2 Thor: Ragnarock
1 Free Fire

Tom

10 Thor: Ragnarock
9 Free Fire
8 Raw
7 The Florida Project
6 Lady Bird
5 Blade Runner 2049
4 It Comes At Night
3 Atomic Blonde
2 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
1 Logan

Most Diappointing:

Kelly: Kong: Skull Island
Dingus: Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
Tom: War Machine

Most Surprising:

Kelly: The Beguiled
Dingus: Split
Tom: Good Time

Best Misc Thingy:

Kelly:
Best Commercial for another movie: The Disaster Artist
Best Applause Moment: Bryan Cranston in Power Rangers saying “Send the meteor to my coordinates.”
Best Birthday Party: Super Dark Times
Best Foreplay: Fassbender and Fassbender in Alien Covenant
Best Mom: I, Tonya
Most Boring Birth: Goon: Last of the Enforcers

Dingus:
Laura from Logan riding the coin-op horse
The chalk on the dashboard from Dunkirk,
Lucky in the movie Lucky When HDS starts to sing,
Three Billboards: Woody coughing up blood on Frances McDormand

Tom:
Wheelman – Cheeta not showing up
Discovering that The Girl With All the Gifts was a zombie movie
Ngoc Lan describing the 8 fucks from Downsizing
Opening graph from The Survivalist

NICE!

@ChristienMurawski, did you ever see A Bigger Splash from Luca Guadagnino? I liked it more than CMBYN. Tom once dismissed the idea of a Suspiria remake, but I’m excited to see what Luca can do with it. Plus Tilda, Dakota, and former National Treasure Grace Chloe Moretz.

That one had me laughing.

Heh, sorry guys! I hope you didn’t feel too thrown. The spreadsheet prioritizes movies later if they are high on someone’s list, because when we did it we didn’t want to reveal our number 1’s until the end. It just so happened that @ChristienMurawski had like six movies at the bottom of his list that weren’t on anyone else’s. That’s the luck of the list-making process!

My Top Ten list, which I finished making decisions about only 3 days ago is:

10 - Shimmer Lake
9 - The Florida Project
8 - The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
7 - Thor: Ragnarok
6 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
5 - Get Out
4 - Atomic Blonde
3 - Blade Runner 2049
2 - Lady Bird
1 - Logan

I wish there were more differences to discuss but, what can you do?

I need to watch these movies.

Such a great podcast. And I love the the new spreadsheet, it really added something. Good work Tom, Dingus, Kelly, Chris and sinnick.

Since for the first time ever I have a top 10 list, I guess I’ll just post it here:

1. Blade Runner 2049
  2. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
  3. Logan
  4. Free Fire
  5. The Girl with All the Gifts
  6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  7. Dunkirk
  8. Lady Bird
  9. Wheelman
  10. The Lost City of Z

I cannot tell you how surprised that some of these movies made my list. Honorable mention goes to Coco, which I loved and am flabbergasted didn’t make my list.

My top 10:

1. Dunkirk
  2. Nocturama
  3. It Comes at Night
  4. Blade Runner 2049
  5. Raw
  6. Wind River
  7. Get Out
  8. Logan
  9. Free Fire
  10. The Girl with All the Gifts

I still need to see Lady Bird, but I’ve got a feeling that would have taken a spot if I had.

Great list, although I haven’t even heard of Nocturama!

I watched it last night and it totally messed with my list. Did you see The Meyerowitz Stories?

I have ten movies I really still need to see.

If some of you use Letterboxd, I made a list of all movies with designated podcasts, if you are a completionist or something crazy like that (I’m at 80%, whee!).

Is Tom’s misc thingy 3 Billboards choice a spoiler?

It’s not mine, it’s Dingus’!

There’s a lot more spoiler in these discussions than I’d be comfortable with, but I have a weird threshold. As for that specific spoiler, it’s information that’s revealed about fifteen minutes into the movie, and the joke about the specific information is that everyone in town already knows.

-Tom

When you’re in the best movie of the year for three consecutive years it’s called a “Keough.”

10 - Get Out
9 — Lady Macbeth
8 — Personal Shopper
7 — Ingrid Goes West
6 — The Florida Project
5 — mother!
4 — Good Time
3 — Lady Bird
2 — 20th Century Women
1 — Lovesong

Honorable Mentions that could easily be swapped in at 10:
Colossal, It Comes at Night, Logan, Princess Cyd
(Call Me By Your Name was disqualified from 10 spot contention for the Sufjan Stevens songs.)

In January I thought number one was locked up after Mike Mills took the distinctive style he developed in Beginners and darn near perfected it in 20th Century Women. But along came shy, quiet little Lovesong, poking its head out from Netflix and stealing my heart. It’s probably a testament to the podcast that I can now appreciate acting much more than I ever did before, and Riley Keough and Jena Malone are just impossible to take your eyes off in this movie. It’s so beautiful and painful and unassuming.

Any of my top three could be number one in the right year. 4 - 6 are pretty interchangeable in the rankings: movies I loved, but without that specific emotional hook to rise to the top. Ingrid Goes West was a lovely surprise that almost jumps the shark before redeeming itself in the end. I like Personal Shopper and Lady Macbeth quite a bit. I don’t really know why. They’re quality back-of-the-rotation starters.

misc:
Best Hair Cutting Scene - Battle of the Sexes
Movie I Wish Was Better - Person to Person
Suicide Squad Award for Bad Movie I Kinda Enjoyed - (tie) Valerian / XXX: Return of Vin Diesel
That’s a Shame Award - Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Total 2017 Movies Seen: 58 (Surpassing last year’s record 41; and still so many I’ve yet to see!)

–Chris Webb

Man I don’t know why Atomic Blonde is on all 3 of your lists, I found that close to unwatchable.

OK thanks. Only asking because the stupid UK doesn’t even have the damn film yet.

This warms my little heart.