Qt3 Movie Podcast: best of 2017

No love for Killing of a Sacred Deer makes me a sad Dude

This makes me happy again.

That’s a good point. I’ve now put a spoiler up.

Nice! I got 52 in theatre and 4 on Netflix. I’m not counting Redline or Rock & Rule since they were released so long ago.

It’s official. You need to win the lottery and move across the ocean so you can see movies in the year that they are released.

Coco still isn’t out here. Thought that’s not so surprising, as Pixar movies always seem to have a long delay.

I’m still waiting to see that. I wasn’t able to catch it while it was in theaters here.

Haven’t seen it yet; really, really want to. It just came out here. I live north of the Wall.

I’ll do that, comforting myself that even if I lose I’ve contributed in some small way to the next Free Fire or Under The Skin. Good call.

Could you consider a deus ex machina as being a plot hole?

Asking for a friend.

I’m pretty sure Kellywand’s definition of “deus ex machina” is any time the plot does something dumb. So that means there’s a hole where a better script should be. Thus, a plot hole.

Awesome. If my number 1 pick works for the end of month 3x3, you can take the credit for it.

I was about to post a 20:20 from Lovesong a few weeks ago before realizing you’d scooped me. I’m so happy I found this movie. Now I need to work my way through So Yong Kim’s filmography. And I know that now I’ll finally stop forgetting how great Jena Malone is.

Edit: I’ve yet to see Killing of a Sacred Deer, but it’s near the top of the To See list!

Let me write that down.

Wait. You’re not being serious. We talked about this. That’s a different topic than his new one. You’re the one who told me that.

What are you up to?

-xtien

Oh yeah, it’s continuity errors isn’t it? Darn it. Well… Could a plot hole be a continuity error? And since a plot hole can be a deus ex machina (as established by a man who is running an honest to goodness fan club), a deus ex machina could then be a continuity error? By way of a transitive property? That’s math you know.

Never you mind.

Kellywand undermined the definition of continuity error when he introduced the topic. He used as an example a writer ret-conning something. That’s a weirdly broad interpretation of “continuity error”. So I imagine you can get away with plot holes just fine.

-Tom

@marquac was just giving an example of a continuity error in his brain.

Exactly. This was all just an elaborate Canadian continuity error test. You’ve all passed.

Plot holes, as @marquac pointed out to me when I asked him to help me with figuring out what this topic reminded me of via PM, were a separate topic.

In case anyone forgets our discussion of plot holes as a 3x3, I have one word: eagles.

-xtien

I really wanted to see this movie before finalizing my list, because I remember you posting about it on twitter.

Sadly I could not get to it.

What’s your problem with Sufjan Stevens? @spacemonkey is not going to be pleased.

-xtien