Qt3 Movie Podcast: best of 2017

Were you not getting sick of them after a month?

That said, I dig the on-and-off screwball comedy thing you had going.

In anticipation of 2018’s year-end lists I looked back at the 2017 audience lists and thought I’d do a little math to make a consensus top ten. There were 5 & 1/2 submitters: @sinnick, @Richard_Holt, @anonymgeist, @marquac, and myself offered a top ten; @Shimarenda provided a top four. I used the simple 10 points for #1, 1 point for #10 scale (4 points #1 on down for Shimarenda), and then also chose to eliminate movies that only one person picked. This only effected me and anonymgeist: my #1 Lovesong would have been 10, and my #2 20th Century Women tied with Thor: Ragnarok; anonymgeist’s #2 Nocturama also tied with Thor.

So, here is the list, with the point totals, as well as the number of lists they appeared on out of the 6:

1.Logan (31 points, 4 lists)
2.Lady Bird (29 points, 5 lists)
3.Blade Runner 2049 (26 points, 4 lists)
4.Dunkirk (21 points, 3 lists)
5.Atomic Blonde (16 points, 2 lists)
6.Free Fire (13 points, 3 lists)
t 7.Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri (12 points, 3 lists)
t 7.The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (12 points, 2 lists)
9.Get Out (11 points, 2 lists)
10.Thor: Ragnarok (9 points, 2 lists)

Lady Bird appeared on the most lists, and by the sound of it may have been on every list, and been number one, had Mr. Geist seen it.

It’s a very small sample size, but there is your Qt3 Non-Podcaster 2017 Best Achievement in Film Awards. Hopefully this will inspire a few more people to chime in for 2018 if they think they can put together some sort of list.

-Chris Webb

Nice!

Nice round up.

Note to self, watch:
Lady Bird
Blade Runner 2049
Free Fire
The Meyerowitz Stories

If I were to recompile my 2017 list now that I’ve seen a few more films from the year, it would probably be:

1. Dunkirk
  2. Nocturama
  3. Blade Runner 2049
  4. A Ghost Story
  5. It Comes at Night
  6. Lady Bird
  7. The Florida Project
  8. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  9. I, Tonya
  10. Raw

Yay! Glad you finally saw it and enjoyed it. Definitely one of my faves from last year.

This is a fun list, and an urgent reminder that I’ve not seen enough of this years movies to do my 2018 list yet. Thanks for doing this, apparently my list is less idiosyncratic than I though!

Submit whatever Top X number of movies you feel good about submitting for a 2018 list and I’ll work it into the rankings. The 2017 Qt3 lists were a nice indication of the impact that the new Blade Runner had. I’m both young enough that I only know the original from a late 00’s rerelease, and also had the misfortune of seeing 2049 a few hours before the devastating NorCal fires of 2017 which rendered all my thoughts on the movie moot in the face of devastation.