Qt3 Movie Podcast: Black Sea

I was far too kind to Hoskins' performance, wasn't I? But I love that scene with Law, and Hoskins and the Stalin picture. I remembered that strongly from the last time I saw it

I just found his teeth funny.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I love the comparison to The Grey, partly for how Kellywand once again wanted an action movie instead of a meditation on the nature of man, hence his complaints about there not being enough sub action. But I loved the sub action in Black Sea for how it wasn't a bunch of external effects shots. The sub action here was more like the truck action in Sorcerer: you're watching dudes put wrenches to machinery.

Also, you guys didn't touch on an important element -- the most important element? -- of why this heist fell apart. Wouldn't you say the movie was an indictment of Jude Law's idealism for extending equal shares to each man? This was what tore apart the crew. It was Jude Law's character's own reaction to corporate injustice that doomed the mission by bringing out the sense of resentment among the men. In fact, you might argue that the psychopath character was only turned into a psychopath because of the equal shares rule. This story of class warfare -- I love that Dingus also brought up Foxcatcher! -- is ultimately about one man's opposition to injustice and how it dooms his own heist. That he is also corrupted by the eventual arrival of the gold is even more an indictment of his idealism. This was a very Treasure of the Sierra Madres movie.

To see Jude Law REALLY sink his chompers into a gritty character, be sure to check out a movie called Dom Hemingway. It's a real hoot from the very first scene.

Finally, Dingus, that wasn't a loud sub! Old diesel subs are a part of many modern navies and they're notoriously quiet and hard to find. They can even be quieter than modern nuclear submarines.

I CANNOT WAIT for the 50 Shades of Grey podcast!

Wasn't a loud sub? What? Do you recall how they did the sonar bit by slamming a huge metal girder against the hull of the ship?

Seaman Beaumont heard the dudes on the Red October singing their national anthem. He would have heard this sub from California!

And that was when the day became awesome.

Fuck.

The diesel engines are only used on the surface. They drive the sub at the surface and they charge generators so that when the submarine is underwater, it runs on really quiet electric turbines. It's a bit of a misnomer to call them diesel subs when they're actually diesel/electric submarines, but they're notoriously quiet and they're a viable threat to the most advanced surface fleets.

This has been Sub Talk with Tom Chick.

By the way, what was the bunkum about the Nazi being cannibals? Was the idea that after their sub had sunk, they had to resort to cannibalism? How long were they down there? They had enough oxygen to stay alive long enough to become cannibals?

I know about the electric thing, because of all the recharging of batteries. Also because I read a bunch of Tom Clancy books. When it came to noise I was thinking of the general noise of an old boat like that, cavitation and all. That's right. I just busted out "cavitation" on your ass.

I didn't get it when I first saw those skeletons. Some of my CPU cycles were already processing what in the world "The Black Sea is anoxic at depth," meant. Since that was the case, the drive-shaft would not have rusted or rotted or whatever. So when we saw the bones I just thought that since it was supposed to be anoxic, then perhaps decomposition of bodies would not have occured either.

Cannibalism solved that issue. I guess. Where the dudes who ate the dudes wound up I have no idea.

Cavitation is just something that happens when any submarine goes fast and creates extreme turbulence in the water. It is literally a pocket of low pressure (cavity), such as a bubble, collapsing and making noise. Any sub can avoid it by just not going fast.

Wait, you're confusing me even more about the Nazi cannibals. They were eating each other before their sub sank? Why?

No. I'm not saying that at all. What?

If the guys who got eaten are all chained-up skeletons, I don't get where the rest of the crew's bodies (those who ate the chained ones) are.

Oh, those guys. I'm guessing we just don't see them. Frankly, I'm disappointed we didn't get more of a tour of the Nazi sub. I guess they wanted to surprise us with the reveal that they're bringing the gold along with the drive shaft.

But I'm still confused as to why the crew of a sub that sank to the bottom of the ocean would have to resort to cannibalism. It immediately occurred to me that they would have suffocated long before there was any danger of starvation. So, yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the idea was that the Nazis were eating people before the sub sank. What's up with that??????

It's a metaphor for class warfare.

Noyce.

I kind of hated that reveal. It felt cheap. So Fraser found the gold. Either he's going to tell the two others on the away team, or he's gonna keep it to himself and find a way to come back for it. If he's just going to show it to them and load it on the Costco pallet cart, don't make it a reveal. I'd much rather him tell them about it.

You're totally right about suffocation vs. starvation. But what was the thing about chlorine in the air? I loved that little exchange.

-"Can we take our helmets off?"
-"Don't do that."

next week's clubapalooza is 50 shades of grey lady down?

facepalm

Off-topic but about ZAPPED so really on topic but ZAPPED is being added to Netflix Instant... http://www.theverge.com/2015/1...

I was apparently fifteen when Enemy at the Gates came out, which I remember mostly because I saw it with my dad and spent the entire sex scene struggling over which reaction was appropriate: looking away, leaving for the bathroom, or watching passively. I think I managed some combination of all three, making Enemy at the Gates the movie that my dad still refers to as "the one with the sex scene that grossed you out."