Qt3 Movie Podcast: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

We pretty much agree that if you try not to hold it to the standards of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, this movies might not be so awful, after all. Or that at least it’s a crazy enough wuxia ride with Michelle Yeoh. At the 1:26 mark, we take up residence in a discussion of abandoned buildings.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/03/07/qt3-movie-podcast-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sword-destiny

Needs more :'s.

OK, so there is little more I can say about Crouching Tiger ... Destiny than has already been said except this. The thing that really pushed me over the edge towards hating this movie was a particular use of music. I think it was when Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen were having "moment" and the cello theme from the original movie swells in. At that point I wanted to yell at the screen "NO - You don't deserve to use that music, don't dirty it up with your terrible movie!" The word I think that best describes this, and all the emotional moments in this movie, is "unearned" - it's almost like they were coasting on the emotions of the first.

Also, best abandoned building in a movie: "It's a Wonderful Life" - the house where Mary sets up after they blow all their honeymoon money on saving the Savings and Loan. She decorates it with posters from all the countries George wants to visit and makes a nice dinner. Love that moment.

Dang, Jaime. That "It's a Wonderful Life" house is a great choice. I immediately thought of the knob thingy that keeps coming off the stair railing whenever George walks by, and how a little thing like that is such a part of what drives him over the edge. I love that pick.

As for that music choice in Sword of Density, while I appreciate your labeling it as "unearned" and think that is an apt term, for me it was a relief when I heard that music. It made the movie more familiar to me, and perhaps filled a bit of the hole created by Yun-Fat Chow's absence. I admit, however, that this is a false comfort because you are ultimately right in saying the movie has not earned the right to do this.

I really, really wanted to like this movie. It has everything that SHOULD have worked for me. I even like Donnie Yen (his best martial arts movie for me is "Ip Man"). Maybe it's that they were juggling too many characters? I felt like the first movie really focused well on the two couples - in this one everyone felt like a secondary character.

Wei Fang's no Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's totally Shia LaBeouf.

As for the movie, sure, it's pretty bad, but it at least has the decency to tell you what this crazy train is all about in the opening scenes of the movie. After that, the ride's pretty fun for the rest of the film.

The most important question: where's my karaoke love song over the credits? What a missed opportunity!

Best Michelle Yeoh scene ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

That was great. Thank you Ben.

Hawt!

No tofu for you UNTIL MICHELLE YEOH SAYS SO!

When is a movie going to have a semi-colon? There's no love in Hollywood for ;'s.

Oh man, Iron Monkey is a crazy hoot - that pole fight!. Thanks for reminding me about this movie, Dingus. I'll be queueing that up later for sure. Donny Yen (or "that guy" if you're Tom - are you kidding? It's frickin' Donny Yen!) is so watchable in nearly everything he's in.

I don't think Chow Yun-Fat's name "got reversed," Dingus - some cultures present the family name first, and some not. I think it's the actor, publicist and production company that decide how they want the actor's name presented. I assume they decided to Anglicize the presentation at some point. Hungarian is the same, btw.

If you guys want an excellent English introduction to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, check out www.3kingdomspodcast.com - he does a great job of explaining the literary tradition and tropes while telling the story, and it's frankly adorable.

Kellywand, I don't think of opera talk as a "nerd alert," I think of opera as refined and high-class, which is the opposite of "nerdy."

Well *I* knew what Kelly's movie was from the IMDB opsis ;)

I still don't know what it is.

A lot of comments, not all of them related.

First, I think that East Asian literature (and media derived from it) tends to have more and more complex female characters than many other cultures' literature, even if any given work happens to be of inferior quality by itself, because China, Japan, and Korea have long traditions of vernacular fiction, even great vernacular fiction, being the domain of women, while men write great histories and treatises that are actually "useful." Indeed, one of world's first novels, The Tale of Genji, was written by a lady-in-waiting at the imperial court of Japan. Even in the case of a male author, like Cao Xueqin who wrote Dream of the Red Chamber, the focus is often the private lives and relationships of women. Even in modern society, under the pressures of our current film culture, this focus on women is still detectable.

Second, I think the reason that you don't see historical Chinese cinema in such high style anymore is that the so-called Fifth Generation of Chinese filmmakers has been running out of juice since the late nineties (and neither the Sixth Generation nor the D Generation have tried to follow in their footsteps). Even the Fifth Generation's exemplar, Zhang Yimou, was never quite able to equal the unbelievable power of 1991's Raise the Red Lantern, even with the commercial success of later efforts like 2002's Hero and 2004's House of Flying Daggers, and he's certainly never recovered after the flop that was 2006's Curse of the Golden Flower. Meanwhile, John Woo tried and failed to give the scene a boost in 2008 with Red Cliff, a boring and bloated paean to Chinese nationalism, and that was when most people stopped paying attention. There's just not much energy there anymore, not on a big-budget scale, although the crews who've been doing it on the cheap since the sixties and seventies are continuing like they always have, virtually undisturbed by the brief renaissance.

Third, "wuxia" is pronounced oo-shyah, not wook-zee-yah. I'm dying. Also, Donnie Yen is "that guy," really? How dare you. How dare YOU.

I think Gormongous accidentally left of the 'w' in his pronunciation 武 is pronounced 'woo' not 'oo'. Generally in Chinese when you see a 'xi' it is pronounced with a soft 'sh' sound rather the harsh 'x' sound.

I agree

You kinda swallow the w, though. It's halfway between "woo" and "oo," I probably should have written it "(w)oo" and been terrible.

In high school, I nerdily read Pearl S. Buck's translation of Water Margin after becoming nerdily obsessed with Koei's Bandit Kings of Ancient China for the Mac. I loved it. I'll start Three Kingdoms next week. I nerdily brought a monstrous edition of it the size of ENIAC back with me from L.A. a few weeks back for some nerd reason. /brays nerd laughter.

Nerd alerts! Ha ha, you're educated.