Qt3 Movie Podcast: Deadpool 2

Tearing down fourth walls since 1991.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/05/21/qt3-movie-podcast-deadpool-2/

BAFDC200-F79B-4228-9EC5-87CB7E7BB08D

-xtien

“I’m pretty sure Luke nailed her.”

What happened in 1991?

Deadpool’s debut in comics.

Sure, but it was my understanding (probably from reading one of @Desslock’s posts on comics history) that the fourth wall stuff only came later, after the original writer left.

Wait, you think I’m enough of a comic book nerd to know that? Dude, please. I just Wikipedia’ed Deadpool and looked at the start date. Next thing you’ll expect me to know he’s just a rip-off of Deadshot!

-Tom

There’s a great thing that happens in one of our Top Ten shows (2015?) that I forgot to bring up during this discussion of Cable in this movie.

I believe Tom says something like, “Every movie would be improved by having Josh Brolin in flip-flops.” [this is not an actual quote, just an approximation]

So now I’m imagining Cable in flip-flops. And I like him much more.

-xtien

“The kids call this ‘docking’.”

Now you’re just screwing with us. He was a rip off of Deathstroke.

You know that when Thanos was chilling at the end of Infinity War, hanging out and listening to the loons, he was definitely wearing flip-flops.

Looking forward to Sicario 2 in a few short weeks for more flip-flop action.

-Tom

Your footwear 3x3 had some Brolin flip-flop talk.

Nice.

As I thought about it, I recall us saying a few silly things during that Top Ten show I referenced. One was Kelly saying something along the lines of not being able to imagine Michael B. Jordan playing a villain. And then all of us bemoaning Ryan Coogler’s choice to direct a dopey Marvel movie.

Ha ha on us.

-xtien

“Yeah. We still have Bowie.”

I listened to that podcast again today. And then I watched Sicario again. It really is a heck of a movie.

Great. Now I want to watch it again.

-xtien

Tom, who would you rather have sex with: Deathstrike, Deathlok, or Syzygy Darklock?

Dethklok, obvs.

Thanos versus the Collector: This Time It’s Personal!

Regarding the “hard R” discussion in the podcast: I know that Kelly Wand is usually pushing for movies to be more violent or pushing the limits more, but Deadpool 2 felt pretty squarely in the middle of the R scale to me.

It’s easy to get desensitized to the violence, but that “car slams into person standing in the middle of the street” thing doesn’t happen all that often in PG-13 movies. Not to mention broken spines, heads being caved in, decapitations, people being torn in half… It’s not Hostel, but it’s definitely not PG-13. I winced more than once during the movie.

And I also think that R movies are different now than they were in the '70s or '80s. As I told my son, back in those days, an R rating meant that there would be at least one shot (and probably only one) of a topless woman, guaranteed. But now it seems more like they made the movie they wanted to make, then gave it the appropriate rating.

All that said, some things did seem toned down from the first movie. Specifically, there were no masturbation jokes and no sex scenes. My son said that it seems like they put in the content that fit the story, instead of trying to make sure they hit everything on some imaginary checklist.

Hell, even PG movies like Airplane of the day had topless women in them.

Here, @ChristienMurawski, is also the sort of thing where casting Brolin maybe helps. He’s one more name for the press circuit. This video has over 7 million views. “Ryan Reynolds and Stephen Lang” doesn’t have the same drawing power for their Brand Awareness.

Surely you can’t be serious.

Sorry…