Qt3 Movie Podcast: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

What I want to know is what is the 3x3 where the official correct answer is

Virtuosity
Duplicity
Mr Mom

and in which multiverse this podcast exists in?

So since @KellyWand69 kept bringing this up, I thought the implication of Infinity War/Endgame is that Dr. Strange searched 14 zillion (or whatever) possible outcomes and only found one where “they” beat Thanos, but that “they” isn’t talking about across the entire multiverse, it’s talking about all the future branches from the point they—the members of the main MCU universe we’ve been watching—are currently at.

He was searching for a win from as many possible permutations of the choices they could make as he could, because he was seeing their possible futures via the time stone. He wasn’t looking at parallel worlds that were already shaped by circumstances that wouldn’t match the main MCU world.

Now Spider-Man: No Way Home certainly still makes Strange look careless and reckless, so I’m not saying the character is actually as clever as he thinks he is, but I don’t think Multiverse of Madness and its glimpse of another world defeating Thanos undermines Strange’s handling in the main MCU.

Add my voice to the chorus of people happy that you’re back. Kelly’s Benedict Cumberbatch impression (among so many others) has aged like fine American cheese, and I agree with Tom that Green Knight is the rich man’s Northman but (as a perpetually depressed medievalist) I’m just happy to have more than Name of the Rose and The Return of Martin Guerre to point at when people want non-awful movies about the Middle Ages.

Have you seen Pilgrimage?

It definitely belongs in the same category, but I’d rank it well below Northman. I’m not even sure it qualifies for “non-awful”, but with that cast, who cares.

-Tom

Not quite Middle Ages, but I liked Winstanley.

Yeah, I guess they by definition is a different “they” in this case. But that still leaches integrity and tension from the original line. He could have more accurately said, “There’s only ONE universe where WE beat him, but at least one where others do, but then still get massacred by our universe’s Scarlet Witch.”

#boredwriting

There is no indication in any of the movies that it was possible to view alternate realities. Doctor Strange was only able to use the Time Stone to look at alternate futures.

omg Mr. Mom-gate. I was dying.

Yay! Dr. Strange 2 was such a disappointing movie (such a lifeless, joyless, uninspired script), but worth every painful minute if it brought the podcast back. Kelly Wand sure hasn’t lost his touch the way Rami et. al. seem to have. I hope for future synopses, good/bad writing quizzes, and fun discussions to redeem more of this summer’s inevitable bad movies.

Thanks for casting another delightful pod, gentlemen. Loved Kelly Wand’s utter incredulity at Tom’s Mistermomplicity nonsense.

I can’t believe I’m giving the dumb stuff this much thought, but Andy Bates is right. The Multiverse didn’t actually exist (or was at least inaccessible) until the Loki TV series broke the system that was preventing alternative timelines from branching off. Doctor Strange in Infinity War was looking at possible futures that didn’t exist yet, not actually-existing alternate universes. And he doesn’t claim to have looked at every possible future, just a lot of them. Tony asks him “In how many of the possibilities you considered do we win?” not “In how many possible universes does Thanos lose?”

I noticed this hit Disney+. Yay, now I get to watch it so that I can then listen to the podcast.

Same here.

As I’ve told Marquardson, since recording the podcast, Kellywand game me this…

…which I read and really liked! But that was only after we’d recorded. Since then, I’ve decided I don’t like Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange. He’s too brittle and uptight, where he should be dashing and cavalier. The source material ruined the movie for me!

-Tom

EDIT: Gah, why won’t Amazon do cool thumbnails anymore? Well, I’ll leave the link up there in case anyone wants to support the site, but here’s a better thumbnail of what I read:

I love Chris Bachalo’s artwork, all the way back to his work on Generation X. Just absolutely stunning, and his Doctor Strange comic really captures the feel of weirdness constantly leaking in through cracks in reality. I don’t know how much of that is Jason Aaron versus Bachalo, but it’s a great read.

Ok, I watched Dr. Strange. Now the other multiverse movie needs to come to streaming, since Tom warns at the top of the podcast that they’ll be talking about that one too.

I don’t usually read comics, but I went ahead and got these from the library. I read the first collection of 5 issues and… now I remember why I don’t read comics.

I mean, the story is fine, and yeah, the Doctor Strange in these comics is definitely cooler than the one in the movies. But there are just so many blobby monsters on the page I can’t even tell what is going on.

The whole thing reminds me of the scene in L.A. Story where Steve Martin is critiquing the art piece. It just looks like random splatters to me, but I guess there’s a whole story in there.

As an irregular cannabis user I will say that one of the unique benefits it grants me is an increased ability to focus on the artwork in comic books. Normally I’m a words guy, but something about that state of mind clears up the sometimes indecipherable world of superhero art.

Just throwing that out there for other dabblers of the two mediums to consider.

I’m glad this turned into an EEAO podcast. I’m like Kelly and didn’t realise that was Jamie Lee Curtis or Short Round until after.

Great fade out music choice to reference both magic and Raimi’s horror work in one song!

There’s a new podcast app that uses AI to try to create transcriptions and adds chapters to podcasts. Here’s what it thinks this episode is about.

1. Introduction
  2. The Movie No One Crashed a Podcast About
  3. Kelly Wan’s Doctors Trans and Multiperson Madness, Is It a PG-13?
  4. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  5. Doctor Strange’s Tie Slowly Ties Itself
  6. The Other You’s Just Leave Me to Die, Usually
  7. The Scarlet Witch
  8. Infinity War - A Star Wars Story
  9. Captain Marvel’s All
  10. The Eye of Agamado
  11. The Ron Walks on Screen
  12. The New Thor Movie Is Drawing From the Comics
  13. I Liked This Movie Better Than the Other Doctor Strange
  14. Movie Review: Doctor Strange - Eternals
  15. What Was the Hook for Eternals for You?
  16. Doctor Strange - The Moral Calculus of the Multiverse
  17. Why I’m Done With Marvel, Kelly
  18. Eternals and Moon Knight - I Like It or Not?
  19. Moon Knight
  20. How You Fucking Fold in Exposition
  21. Doctor Strange
  22. You Think Mr. Mom Is a Stay at Home Dad?
  23. Kelly Wants Electricity Virtuosity
  24. PG 13 Movie Review
  25. Is That Good Writing or Bad Writing?
  26. Kelly Wand, Good Writing or Bad Writing?
  27. I Lost Both My Cats and My Brother
  28. The World War Hulk
  29. Kelly, You’re Not Wrong, Kelly
  30. Dr Strange and the Multiverse Madness - Michelle Yeo and Lena Hetty.
  31. What I Loved About the Dildot Fight
  32. I Loved the Stuntman Movie
  33. I Will See More Than Until I Got Done With the Turnals
  34. Is Green Knight Better Than Northman?

I forgot how much I loved it when the Ron walks on screen.