Qt3 Movie Podcast: It Follows

welcome Back Tom!

As near as I can tell, Westworld fails because the robots are programming each other, and there is references to a "virus" of some sort.

Whos the Chipmunk?

Tom's Back!

And apparently those were the two movies she made in 2014. How's that for synchronicity?

I know I'm way behind the times, but this article is just great. Another great way to watch an already great movie.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/m-j-...

I may be late to the party but let me explain the part about Dostoyevsky's "Idiot". Yara jokes that it's about Paul and it really is. The Idiot is prince Myshkin, rich Russian noble who is indeed not quite bright but cold so because he's very naive, kind and charitable. Kinda like Don Quixote. He's sort of quasi-Christian (one of the famous parts of the book is his rant about Catholics being worse than atheists which forces Russian late 19th century nobles to just look away and cough). Most of the book he's attracted to some troubled noble woman Nastasya who was a mistress of some rich dude but now he wants to dump her and make her marry some other guy. Nastasya herself wants or doesn't want to marry another guy or maybe someone else. He goes to live with someone and immideately runs away. Meanwhile Myshkin publicly states that he could marry her and provide for her to save her. Nastasya sees Myshkin as a saint and herself as not worthy of his love. People go mad from love and die.

Long story short the Idiot is defined by his will to help people more than love. He's also a decent guy and his beloved doesn't really want to hurt him with her fatal love. So the parallel is rather clear and underlines one of the guys interpretation that the cusre is really love and Jay partly suffers from not understanding what she loves, fearing falling in love, not believing in being worthy of love.

As thrilled as I am that Tom was back, I kinda want to reprimand you all for ignoring the movie BECAUSE GOOD LORD WAS THAT BRILLIANT!!

We were on the edge of the seat the whole time. And that music. Oh! That music…

I also spilled my wine when it played its one jump scare. Well played, movie. Well played.

Who ignored the movie?

Not sure whether you know already (I haven’t listened to the podcast I’m afraid!) but it’s by Disasterpeace who scored Fez amongst many other videogames, including Mini Metro and Hyper Light Drifter. He did a tremendous job here and hearing the soundtrack in isolation is very unsettling too.

I think it’s that a lot of this thread is discussion of Tom’s return to the podcast and not It Follows (which is indeed brilliant). But to be fair, there’s another It Follows thread here and I think that’s where most of the movie discussion was.

Oh nuts, foiled by the search feature!

I heard about this film the other day and thought it was a joke. It isn’t?

They? I hope this means there is more than one instead of the other thing.

I’m not sure what else could be explored about this theme without cheapening it, but no one asked for T2: Trainspotting either, and that ended up adding depth to the original. The gap between the two is cause for cautious optimism, with emphasis on the caution.

Because the body-shifting, sex-changing, non-verbal monster not having an established and concrete gender identity would be so terrible.

Besides, I suppose the alternatives were It Follows, Too or It Leads.

Changing the verb would be more interesting, but I think that is harder to do.

Other possible titles:

It Keeps Following
It’s Still Following
The It Follows
It Followses
It Follows Also
Look Who’s Following Now

It Still Hasn’t Found What It’s Looking For

It Follows the Money.