Qt3 Movie Podcast: John Wick: Chapter 2

We are a house divided on the John Wick sequel. At the 1:23 mark, we lock ourselves into a discussion of dungeons in movies. Yep, dungeons in movies.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/02/21/qt3-movie-podcast-john-wick-chapter-2/

Kelly and Dingus both had Payback as their over for the first John Wick movie.

There’s going to be a separate thread for that ‘best dungeon’ part, right? I’m trying to think of any movies I’ve watched with dungeons. I suppose the Mines of Moria might count as a dungeon from Fellowship of the Ring? And the areas in Mordor that Frodo went through in Return of the King? Neither of those was particularly good. Maybe some of the areas underneath Hogwarts count in the Harry Potter movies? The Chamber of Secrets in particular I suppose, even though it was the worst of the Potter movies. Again, not a stellar example of a dungeon. I don’t think there were any dungeons in Neverending story, Labrynth, Willow or other movies I can think of right now. Does the place where the Gimp was being kept in Pulp Fiction count as a dungeon? I don’t think so, because it wasn’t even underground was it? I’m stumped.

To be clear: Boondock Saints sucks ass. I thought maybe the impression was given that I had anything nice to say about it, @ChristienMurawski

I’d be embarrassed to be portrayed otherwise.

I thought “brooch” was pronounced “broach”

It is my goal to mischaracterize your emails. I think I’m doing a pretty good job.

You did make me laugh when I read the paragraph that started with, “So, I haven’t seen JW2…”

-xtien

Yes. Tom is beginning to wear us down on the pronunciation thing, I think. We will return to being more vigilant.

-xtien

I thought I had that right. I went back and looked at the 3x3 teasers & more thread you started and boom, there it was.

Thanks again for starting that thread. It’s a great resource, Chris!

-xtien

“Then humor me with one question…Are you here for the Pope?”

Noice! I’m so glad that bit isn’t limited to words that end in i-c-e any longer. Opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

I just noticed that this doesn’t make note of it being a 3x3. Does that mean it’s a format change? No more 3x3s?

They are still 3x3’s @Rock8man. The last three podcast teasers just haven’t explicitly said 3x3.

Is a 3x3 anything like this?

My friend Yuri just posted a link to this article on his twitter feed:

I’m really liking this piece. Two things I like a lot…

1. The writer mentions Constantine. I am such a lover of that movie and can watch it again and again. I like that she uses it as an opening example. I also like the term “laconic cynicism” (even if I don’t know what that means) because it reminds me of a review I read when the original The Matrix came out that referred to the “phlegmatic charisma” of Keanu Reeves.

2. I KNEW that movie projected on the building was a Buster Keaton movie! I just forgot to make that clear, because it kind of got lost in the hustle. I’m so happy the writer confirmed this for me.

-xtien

“You’re the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.”

I really wanted to write in for this one - I wanted to submit the dungeon Lucky Day gets thrown in when captured in The Three Amigos (“Gonna make it, gonna make it…”). Looks like I might have gotten thrown in jail, though, because I’m not 100% sure it’s underground.

Also, @Tom, I think an Iron Maiden is designed not to pierce your vitals necessarily, but to cause you great pain where you are pierced so they can continue to question you… of course you might have bled out anyway, and I’m sure they weren’t too concerned about nursing you back to health.

@Dingus - Loved your pick of Thor the Dark World. You didn’t mention in the podcast, but I seem to remember that the reason Loki is completely a wreck is that he is genuinely distraught over the loss of their mother.

That’s exactly it. When Thor comes down there everything appears ok and Loki brushes the news off. But then Thor calls the bluff and we see it’s just an illusion and Loki is utterly despondent. Probably made all the worst by the fact that he was giving directions to the Cursed (he probably didn’t know it was responsible for Frigga’s death mind).

I just adore Hiddleston in this movie.

[stands up]
[pumps fist]
You know the rest, @marquac

I don’t plan to write in this week, but if I do it will be for the sole purpose of offering confused thoughts about The Lego Movie.

Great show, guys. Although I wanted to scream at Tom for repeatedly insisting that John Wick “reneged on his deal.” Or for complaining that they didn’t go full R with the nudity. I actually thought them cutting away made the scene more sensual, but maybe that’s just me.

Also:

You should rewatch that scene, Tom. He’s wearing shorts.

About that scene, actually it may not be as stupid as it sounds.

Basically bullet striking glass will change the bullet trajectory. How it is changed depends on the angle of impact of bullet on glass.

So in that scene Theon was running, Wick would have to be a trigonometry genius AND a crack shot to be able to hit Theon through the glass. Tri genius because Wick has to do the trigonometry in his head on the fly, and aim either slightly ahead or behind where Theon is moving, in order to to compensate for the bullet hitting glass changing its trajectory.

So my point is, it is quite reasonable for Wick to miss Theon in that particular scene. No magical towel/shorts needed. Whether the filmmaker intended all this is another matter.

But John Wick did back out of the deal he’d made! Dude comes to collect, Wick says “takebacksies!”. That’s kind of a dick move.

You should rewatch that scene, Tom. He’s wearing shorts.
[/quote]

Okay, let’s do that:

I’ve queued up a quick shot for you, so you can just press play. Those aren’t like any kind of shorts I run around in. :)

-Tom