Qt3 Movie Podcast: La La Land

I think 15 and 13 are probably old enough to get this movie, but it’s still a fairly ‘adult’ movie. I just watched it last weekend, and watched it again Monday in Imax (highly, highly recommended, if possible)…I like it better than Singin’ in the Rain , although it has nothing as sublime as the Gene Kelly scene where he does the title song. (in fairness, there may be nothing in any movie better than that) In defense of La La Land , it’s not really a traditional musical. I would expect teens to probably ‘get’ this movie more easily than the old musicals, since those probably seem ancient history to them.

I think Tom described this movie as ‘like a drug’ to him. It has the same impact on me. I just want to watch it again and again.

I made it 4 and a half minutes watching this - partway through the freeway dance scene was all I could manage. I just don’t see the appeal of musicals - they all seem like inane high school presentations where the audience is comprised of bored parents forced to clap. Leaving the theatre I was as happy as I was back then skipping class to go to the mall arcade.

Color me surprised.

-xtien

Don’t be that guy, I went in to this movie expecting … ‘this is gonna be some hipster garbage’

Boy was I surprised! The movie is basically a great Disney Musical in disguise… an old-fashioned Hollywood romance worn on its sleeve. Its the first musical i really enjoyed since the South Park movie.

Took my 14-year-old daughter to see it last night and we had a great time. I quizzed her on how she felt about the ending and we talked about how to appreciate movies that don’t give you the sugar-coated ending because it’s what the audience wants. We loved how La La Land still let you see that version of things, though, in a bittersweet way. I was very impressed with a number of things in the movie: The locations (I don’t know LA). Emma Stone’s ever-expressive face. The songwriting: great melodies and some great lyrical turns. My favorite number was A Lovely Night. Very clever song and the tap dancing just delighted me.

Would have preferred Christina Hendricks and Alfonso Ribeiro for the leads of La La Land.

I can’t believe they’re doing this! Transplanting La La Land from screen to stage when it’s so much about the world of the screen! How can you possibly recast Sebastian and Mia, not to mention everyone’s three favorite roommates? It’s just so wrong…

…that Broadway is way the heck on the other side of the country from where I live!

I’m pretty sure you just came up with a premise for a road trip movie.

I assume the Broadway musical is called Ny Ny Land.