Qt3 Movie Podcast: Logan

We gush about this movie like the arterial spray from a henchman’s slashed neck!
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/03/06/qt3-movie-podcast-logan/

And I’ll just leave this here for the listeners:

You’re welcome.

-Tom

I thought the line was “one’s a fictional character and the other can’t drive”. Did I totally mis-hear/mis-remember that? I don’t think they said tigers were extinct, but I may have just spaced out on what they said. Took me a minute to realize what you were talking about on the podcast.

I liked that Logan kills only one of the three main bad guys and that kill is with a gun and not his claws.

Two of the (main) bad guys died to a gun shot. It’s like bringing knives to a gun fight is a bad idea or something! :)

Sorry I stumbled over that when doing emails, Chris. As per usual when I’m excited about a movie, I overlook too many of the great email comments and/or get them wrong. Please know that I always read them, though, and really appreciate them.

Here are some more things I missed that you said…

• Your point about Hugh Jackman willing to have his character “take a hell of a lot of abuse” is a great point, and dovetails nicely with what we talked about him being cool with looking appropriately aged. And it was no surprise to see you say something about how hellish it is to care for a loved one whose mind is going. That really touched me about this movie and I thought you put that so well.

• I really wish I’d brought up your points about Patrick Stewart’s performance, because I don’t think we talked about that enough. Also about how it seemed he was having fun mixing the Professor X of old while losing his mind. The quote you include, “That’s how fucking stupid they are,” just took me right back into the movie.

• I think you are right to bring up the bad guys as being a weak point in the movie, but that weak point is okay with me. Because this isn’t about facing an Apocalypse or a Loki…this is about facing the end. And as you say, “This was about the three heroes and I was content with that.” This movie was much more Man v. Nature, or even Man v. Himself, than it was Man v. Man.

I’m envious of you that you saw it a second time, because I’m really looking forward to seeing it again. And I shared your experience of seeing it with your sister with those other two jokers after the podcast. They thought that was great, because, of course, it reminded them of going to see a movie with me. Because, it has been said, I tend to not be able to suppress my reactions to certain things in movies. Supposedly.

Great email, Chris.

-xtien

“Maybe we were God’s mistake.”

The Shane quote at Logan’s service, was the exact same line we heard when the movie was playing on TV in Oklahoma City. It had less to do w/ the overarching themes of Shane (which, heck if I can remember) but the specific quote was to the boy about “There’s no living with a killing. It’s like a brand. A brand sticks and there’s no going back.” or something to that effect. A bit on the nose. but seemed accessible re Logan’s life… and Laura’s.

I totally loved this movie as well. Logan, you had me at the chain link fence…

Aww, man, I hope you’re not right. I thought I heard him say “one’s a fictional character and the other’s extinct”, which would have been a cool bit of world building. I guess it could have been “the other can’t drive” since he specified the attack was by the side of the road. Well, I’ll listen more closely next time I see it.

-Tom

I just got back from seeing it and I recall hearing extinct…but I’m older than hugh jackman and with no more injections the hearing is going.

Also, like I said in the other thread before I saw this one. Magneto was right. I think that would make a great t-shirt.

2 things bothered me about the kids in the movie.

1. They are from the same lab as X-23 right? Shouldn’t they also speak Spanish or with a Spanish accent?
  2. I’m pretty sure they are a setup for a New Mutants TV show or movie. It’s weird that what I assume is content for pre-teens is setup in a hard R movie.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the movie.

I heard “extinct” also and chalked that as another world-building moment, like the stuff with the corn and the automated trucks on the highway.

I’m also hoping you guys are right, I agree the extinct line is much better. I don’t know how I misheard it so wrong, but sounds like I did. Oh no, I guess I have no choice but to watch the movie again!

That’s correct.

Okay, as I’ve thought about this, I have a question I should’ve brought up during the podcast. But it did not occur to me at the time because I was too swept up in the story and the relationships. Maybe it belongs in the general Logan thread. I don’t know. Every other post there seems to be spoiler-blurred. Which confuses me at this point. So I’ll ask it here and hopefully someone can help me figure it out.

So Laura (Dafne Keen), is the mini-Wolverine, right? So that means she heals, but it also means that she has adamantium-coated bones, right? How is that supposed to work, since she is growing and her bones (claws, whatever) aren’t fully formed yet? I mean, the Wolverine had adamantium bonded to his skeleton once he was a full-grown man. As we know about adamantium, once it solidifies, that’s it. Done and done. So, again, how is that supposed to work with a kid whose bones are still forming? The adamantium isn’t going to grow to accommodate bone growth. Quite the opposite. It will hinder bone growth. Won’t it?

I appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

-xtien

“You can’t nurture rage.”

I believe in the cartoon and the comics, only the claws (hand and foot) were bonded to adamantium. She didn’t undergo the entire bone-bonding, and I guess if she did have adamantium bones, then the harpoon wouldn’t have punched through either her ribs or her shoulder, right?

A good question. I looked on Wikipedia and in the comic it appears that while she has Wolverine’s healing factor, it was only her claws (hand and foot) that were coated with adamantium.

So then I found this on Youtube from a Fox promo clip at the 21 second mark:

Maybe Logan just assumes that because of the claws being covered in adamantium that she has had the full procedure when in reality it’s only her claws that have had the coating. I don’t think it is unreasonable to look at that picture and make that conclusion.

Edit: Looks like @Thierry_Nguyen beat me to it. :)

Thank you both. I guess I could see that. I still don’t think it works out so well based on bone growth, but maybe that just speaks further to the vileness of the experiments on the children.

Also, my friend who worked on the movie posted this on Facebook. I really love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nQ0rhG2ZWM

-xtien

“Hi.”

Dingus, that is excellent.

I too was wondering about Laura and how the Adamantium skeleton would work for a person still in the process of growing up. The explanation about it only being applied to her claws makes sense both in terms of biology (avoiding the growth dilemma mostly) as well as narrative (a bit more optimistic outlook for her since her body won’t be as poisoned over time as much as Logan’s was).

You made a Lou Grant joke?