Qt3 Movie Podcast: Logan

Richard Grant explained that they’d suppressed spontaneous mutation via GMOs in soft drinks… the corporate cornfield mega-threshers and the self-driving trucks were all from the Monsanto-alike responsible.

I agree that the kids were almost a little too much (although the little chubby one was adorable and had a surprising top speed) but I sorta dug that low angle shot of them advancing on robo-redneck which gave me definite ending-of-Freaks vibes that may or may not have been intentional.

Loved the main relationships in this film, including Logan and Caliban’s, very old married couple (“I don’t want to fight but there are some things we need to discuss.”) and the strangest moments would set me off… the freeway horses and the robo-trucks, Logan fruitlessly trying to discipline Laura… a lot of truth in this film, and the weird cowboy-hat, corporatist, mercenary, abandoned-storefront future it depicted was SO timely it didn’t even need a border wall gag at the end.

So, when I saw Logan on Sunday there were a TON of kids in the theater. Probably at least half a dozen 6-years old or under. Did anyone else have the same thing at their showings?

No kids present at mine, only adults. Not even any teenagers.

The Thursday night showing I went to had a few teens but the Sunday matinee showing had a shocking amount of children.

Maybe they thought it was a Lego Logan movie.

I’m going to do a mea-culpa. I was blind to the R rating and at no time at the theater, until the first head rolls, was I warned or told “hey this is an R rated movie”. Now, my son is 14, but I have a rule of previewing all R rated movies and the vast majority he does not see and was a bit embarrassed by this.

I think the case that X-Men, and all wolverine movies, were PG-13 and it’s not a tough assumption to think this would be in the same league as those.

So I’m giving parents a pass, but I’m sure many of them thought the same thing I did while watching this film: “holy shit, either this is rated R or they are really moving the bar for PG-13 movies”

14 is completely different from 4 or 6 or 8 though. I’m not quick to judge anyone, I was mostly just curious. I’m sure plenty of 12+ year old kids can handle R movies, just like some 16 year old kids probably can’t. There are a lot of variables and I don’t know all the circumstances.

However, I just think it’s weird when the 4-year old behind me is proclaiming to their mom what they think is going to happen next. Graphically. :-/

We had a kid in the row in front of us getting more and more upset as the violence escalated. To his mother’s credit she realized this was not a movie for her 10ish age kid and took him out after the farm scene. They didn’t come back.

I went on Saturday afternoon opening weekend, and I don’t remember kids. Maybe some tweens, but no obvious “what the heck is a 6 year old doing here?” moments.

My 11-year old daughter wants to see it because she’s seen previous X-Men/Wolverine movies and the ads looked good to her. But I’ve been following it and I told her that it’s R-rated and I would have to screen it first. I came home and told her about some of the gnarly stuff (like the facepunch through the windshield), and she’s like “I’m going to wait until I’m 27 to see this movie.”

Had to tell my 6-year-old son that he definitely can’t see the new Wolverine movie, but I distracted him by putting some Lego cartoon on after giving the bad news.

Never neglect the millionth listener.

The line was “But neither one of them can drive. One being fictional, the other one extinct.”

Watched it yesterday. Liked it. But as some of you mentioned the R-rating: How are the scenes handled with all these children actors? I don’t know anything about making movies so this left me wondering.

This story about Chloe Moretz and her role as Hit Girl in “Kick-Ass” covers the topic of child actors in R-rated moves a bit.

TL;DR: They prep and film just like any other role.

I watched it finally, a few weeks ago, after hearing so many good words about it coming from Canada.
I watched in on the plane in economy class, which is less than ideal experience to say the least. Still, I liked it so much I watched it two times, which might be a first in my case as far as flight watching goes.
My memory of the movie and podcast are fuzzy now, but I remember that I wanted to say I shared the interrogation of Kelly Wand about the last act and the kids and that last fight. Well, actually, I think the movie would have been better without any of it.
But I loved it deeply up to that point.