Qt3 Movie Podcast: Mission: Impossible - Fallout

You will hear Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill like you’ve never heard them before in this -opsis.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/08/09/qt3-movie-podcast-mission-impossible-fallout/

Hey @marquac. There was a moment in this movie that made me think of this:

KirkEnough

But I couldn’t squeeze it into the discussion. It did make me think of you fondly, though. So there’s that.

In other news, I wish to make a sincere thank you to all of our listeners who wrote in this week. It was a joy to read your thoughts, and thank you for all the compliments about the show. You all are aces.

-xtien

“Was the little car your idea?”

While watching Star Trek II for the first time the other night the line about the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few reminded me of that thing they say about Hunt in Fallout that now I can’t remember. I think he’s supposed to be the best because he watches out for his people? I’ll listen to the podcast now.

How does one write in to the show?

I “wrote in” by posting in the Mission Impossible: Fallout thread.

I haven’t gotten through the whole podcast yet this morning, but I was slightly disappointed that you guys collectively didn’t enjoy yourselves as much as I did. This was definitely one of my favorite action movie experiences. I think it also helped that I watched M:I 2,3,4,5 the week before watching the movie, so I was really well caught up with all the details, whereas, it sounded like all the M:I movies kind of ran together for you guys, since it’s been a while.

I’ll listen to the rest of the podcast tonight. It sounded like you enjoyed it the most Dingus, so I hope you express that more in the second half of the podcast.

I freaking loved it. If I didn’t convey that, that’s my fault.

I’m a huge fan of these movies. I think we all went on a tangent talking about how much we liked Rogue Nation, mainly because of being introduced to Rebecca Ferguson. I think we were all a bit disappointed in less Rebecca Ferguson in this one. So maybe that comes through too much. But let me assure you, I was crazy about this movie, hence the bracketing of my Over/Under with movies I also loved. I closely bracketed this with two movies I’ve seen multiple times because I love them so much.

I loved watching the others during the week, although this was a particularly tough time to do it. And it did make a difference.

Happy to hear you liked it so much.

-xtien

“I’m beginning to see why you guys love this so much.”

The only time that we’ve seen the Tom Cruise character in pain was III, and it was pretty good. This movie wants that vibe but can’t commit to any meaningful deaths to achieve it.

Other than that, it’s fun.

@Rock8man, you can write in to the following email address: 3x3(at)quartertothree.com Make sure you put the title of the movie in the subject line so that Dingus will know that the email is for the particular movie.

Generally you can write in up to about midnight Pacific time on Sunday night. I suspect that an earlier submission allows Dingus more time to read them instead of having to peruse them during the recording.

Sometimes you’ll get an extra day or two when the guys have scheduling conflicts and have to push back the recording and once every 30 or so podcasts the guys have to record early and they are very good at letting people know that so that they can submit their comments on time.

You make me happy, my friend. And jealous. I should have thought of that.

I put on the podcast while going out for a walk, and during the argument between Cavell and Cruise, I was laughing so hard I had to sit down on the curb for a bit to recover. Outstanding.

Paging Tom. Kelly used the ‘F’ word.

I honestly think you’re lionizing (or rabbit-footing) Mission: Impossible III way too much. Commit to any meaningful deaths. Who? Lindsey Farris (Keri Russell)? That’s done with a bunch of back-fill. Flashbacks to her days at the Mission Impossible Super Secret Academy (MISSA…it’s run by Jar Jar…okay, I made that up), and Ethan vouching for her by giving her a great recommendation. It’s a story about building your resume for gosh sakes. Or were you talking about fake Julia?

It’s a good back-on-track movie after the second one, but it’s not all that. It is nowhere near the next three movies in terms of scope and stakes. Alan Hunley’s death has far more impact than the death of Lindsey Farris. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

At the end of this one, everyone he cares about is about to be annihilated. Yes, we know, they won’t be because movie financial blah blah blah. So? We know that with all these movies.

Point is…it fooled me for a second. And that second mattered.

-xtien

“Why is he running in circles?”

Thank you for including this, Chris. It’s usually not an issue, but with bigger releases I do have to write out keywords on a piece of graph paper (I’m not kidding) so I can toggle between emails as we run the show. This is because it’s our philosophy to try to fold the comments into the discussion rather than reading them wholesale, thus making you all part of the conversation.

I had a harder time this time because of various reasons, but mainly because there were so many cool submissions. So I gave Tom a heads up that I had a lot of listener email ground to cover and so before we close the show, let’s be sure to cover that. So that’s why the run of comments at the end of this particular show. Which, of course, led to more discussion. It doesn’t always happen like that. However, as Chris suggested, if you get your email in Sunday by midnight PST…I’ll get your thoughts into the show.

Definitely write in when you can, @Rock8man. It’s a huge pleasure to read the emails and get the comments into the show. I do wait until I’ve finished writing out all of my thoughts and forming my review before reading them, just to be safe. You know. Because spoilers of a different kind.

-xtien

“Sorry. I was aiming for his chest.”

@tomchick I said McQuarrie is one of the best action directors, not the best. And if you look at his progression from Jack Reacher to Fallout, I’ll stand by that.

The best is obviously George Miller.

Yeah. I’ve realized I’m not really an action movie fan because I haven’t seen a need for any such movie to exist since Fury Road. I thought Fallout was cute, but I can’t go back.

I realized that as I was “refuting” you by bringing up David Leitch, but rather than reverse, I just floored the accelerator. How’d I do?

Wait, the first Jack Reacher was McQuarrie? Okay, that muscle car sequence was pretty sweet.

-Tom

Also:

Jack Reacher isn’t a great movie, but it handles its action very well, and he’s only gotten better since.

Leitch obviously has a good eye for action, but McQuarrie is a stronger director overall. But then I think Atomic Blonde’s a total mess on a structural/story level.

I just got to the part of the podcast where @marquac is revealed to have watched this in 3D. My condolences marquac. It’s such a shame to watch this visual feast of a movie in 3D where you would be constantly distracted by 3D gimmicks. 2D IMAX was the way to go for this movie, for sure. Though it does make me sad that I’ll never quite see it the same way again, unless they bring it back to IMAX theaters for a 20th anniversary screening one day.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I wish I’d known that last week. It only happens once in 3 or 4 years that I watch a movie before the Qt3 podcast goes up for it, so I’ll probably forget this by the next time it happens in 2022.

Don’t let @marquac see this.

-xtien

I’ve had to put myself in the corner while I calm down.

Oh come on. Aren’t 20th Century Women and Lovesong essentially action movies?

-xtien

-What was the fight about?
-Clitoral stimulation.