Qt3 Movie Podcast: Redline

We watch the winner of this year’s Make Us Watch Whatever You Want Fund Drive! Or do we? At the 1:11-mark, we touch on a few of our favorite moments of contact in movies. \Next week: Life
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/03/20/qt3-movie-podcast-redline/

I’m just playin’ Tropico 4 over here, listening to an anime podcast, and suddenly ya’ll gotta drag The Tree of Life through the mud? Tom is in my lifetime doghouse for not even putting Tree on his top ten that year. Hanna? Number one? Embarrassing! Arkansas sorry state! Learn accents Kate Blanchard!

(The max file size for images is way too small on this forum. This was like a fifth option. I think Twitter is 10 MB; here it’s 1-ish? SAD!!!)

Was there a lot of editing going on in the first few minutes of the podcast? It seems like there is some talk about the draw that gets cut out. Then it cuts right to Dingus mentioning who some of the voice actors are.

Edit: everything is okay now. Maybe I had a seizure or something.

Quality Anime to watch:

• Berserk (series; just excellent all around)
  • Black Lagoon (series; for everyone, who misses classic action movies)
  • Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (series; very good, especially if you liked the movie)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans (series; excellent, if you like mecha)
  • Sin-Roh (movie)

Hey! Don’t include me in that ya’ll! I always show proper respect for The Tree of Life.

In fact, I should have brought up the dinosaurs for my 3x3 once Kelly went off the rails with his #1 pick, since that was the “birth of compassion” and all, but I was too busy filling out the booking paperwork to think of it.

-xtien

“Why should I be good? When You aren’t?”

P.S. You can always get imgur to host the image you want, which shrinks the file size adequately.

-xtien

This is a test of the Emergency Podcast System.

http://imgur.com/7pOAC34

For future reference, this is how you do that:

NSFW:

NSFW

-xtien

Tree of Life was not a good movie.

Millenium Actress came up in the ballot for this episode, and I think if you want to see the breadth of anime as an artform, as it were, you should give it a watch. Everything Satoshi Kon did is well worth watching.

Millennium Actress is possibly my favorite anime. It’s the one I show to skeptics to convince them it’s a worthy form. It’s one of those that meets the requirement of being a story you really couldn’t tell without animation.

Some (I think) unintentional humor that made me laugh this podcast: Tom describing video games as the context for Redline, then going on to list a series of games that aren’t F-Zero.

When you shake hands with a proffered fist bump, that’s called a stick shift.

Crazy, somehow you’ve watched an anime I have actually seen. I don’t watch anime and have only seen about a dozen or so. One being Redline for some reason.

Well, I watched this before I started listening to the podcast. What a wretched movie. Hopefully it is better in Japanese, because absolutely nothing in it makes sense in English. I guess if you really liked the visual style you could enjoy just looking at it for 90 minutes, but the story is non-existent. I am super surprised that two of the guys on the podcast liked it.

My main complaint is the whole story about JP and his mechanic fixing races. So, he admits to Crab Cherry Boy Hunter whatever-her-name-was that he fixed a race once to save his buddy’s life, but hey, you know, they’ve also been fixing races since then. Including the one he just raced against her. And at one point he tells the mechanic that he actually wants to win and they should find another way to make money. So you think there’s gonna be some double-cross of the mob boss at the end, but NOPE, the mechanic was just going to screw him over again and blow up his car at the last minute. Gosh, there’s no way JP could have predicted that even though he’s done it at least once before. But he’s inexplicably saved at the last minute by spider Burgess Meredith.

And what were the flashbacks about? Nothing in this movie pays off at all. Where did Funky Boy come from? And speaking of Funky Boy, why are all the names in this movie so stupid? Roboworld? Planet Super Grass? What the hell?