Qt3 Movie Podcast: Rogue One

Qt3 Movie Podcast: Rogue One Only a rogue one of these three podcasters will stand up for Rogue One. At the 1:39 mark, the three of us do a 3×3 about threes of characters in movies. Next week: La La Land Podcast (movies): Play in new window | DownloadSubscribe: iTunes | Android |

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/12/19/qt3-movie-podcast-rogue-one/

Many Bothans Died is for RotJ, not New Hope. It’s a common error.

I’m only 20 minutes in but I had to stop to say Kelly’s Donnie Yen impression is a bloody Christmas miracle.

Yup, the original Death Star plans were stolen by

Kyle Katarn (Dark Forces)
Garm Bel Iblis (Interlude at Darknel)
Biggs Darklighter (X-wing)
Rianna Saren (PSP game Star Wars Lethal Alliance apparently)
Red Hand Squadron (Rebel Dawn book)
Princess Leia herself (the radio play)
Yes, the Bothan Spynet (Empire at War)

And half a dozen other occurances. Basically stealing the Death Star plans had to occur every time a new book or game took place just prior to the original movie.

I mean browsing through the Wookiepedia page (because I only knew of Dark Forces, X-wing, and the radio play offhand) and it is clear that the Death Star plans must have a half life of 1 week, otherwise why do they have to keep stealing them in convoluted plans?

Isn’t the simplest explanation just that there were many fake plans put out by the Empire to foil these kind of capers?

Or, you know, none of that is canon any longer.

Rogue One is the only canon Death Star plan caper.

Telefrog has it right. Disney wiped the slate clean for the expanded universe.

You’re being gaslighted. It was an inside job! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

The Death Star Conspiracy

Sure, but where’s the fun in that?

Mainly I did that because, though no longer cannon and not directly referenced in the film, at one point the Bothans were involved. Also that the old Legends stories were ridiculous and I’m glad Disney mostly jettisoned them. So our fearless podcasters were not wrong {Obi Wan Voice} From a Certain point of view{/Obi Wan Voice}

The good or interesting parts are being brought back in a more careful manner.

Basically: it was a joke! A joke about how ridiculous all the stories of stealing the plans were before Disney scrapped that nonsense.

I’m just surprised at how many people confuse the Bothan thing. I guess I shouldn’t. I’ve met people that thought the second Death Star was the first and that the Empire in Return of the Jedi was repairing the damage the Rebels did when they blew it up in A New Hope.

Also, a couple of my friends didn’t realize Tarkin was CG when we were discussing the movie after it ended. I’m looking at them like they’re nuts. “You know Peter Cushing was already really old when he played Tarkin in 1977 right?”

The Death Star techs do indeed shield themselves from the generating blast:

https://s27.postimg.org/ot1vo2bb7/Screenshot_2016_12_19_13_10_52.png

Somewhat cathartic to hear you all rag on this, as most I know loved it and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Bad characters, dialogue, performances, and yet scattered with some undeniably cool things (I could watch two hours straight of 3D star wars space battle, just strap the “camera” to a wing and go). I’m a huge fan of Force Awakens so was a little shellshocked by this.

I did like Ben Mendelsohn though!

I may or may not have read the novel detailing the backstory of Krennic, Galen, Lyra (Galen’s wife), baby Jyn, and Krennic’s budding rivalry with Tarkin, and Krennic making his career on Galen’s genius while managing the latter’s pacifism with a carefully deployed long game. It was good.

Ha, that is awesome! Totally sounds like something the Empire would do - just send tons of people or droids out to find all the tiny parts of the Death Star that were scattered across the cosmos and weld it all back together. Also nicely explains all the missing chunks in Jedi as well - “Uh sorry Mr Vader sir, we couldn’t find all the pieces. Ack, can’t breathe!”

[quote=“Slumberland, post:11, topic:127573”]
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.[/quote]
Indeed you are. :)

The movie was awesome. Went to see it with my wife and kids (aged 10, 18, 18). All 5 of us really loved it.

It told the story only hinted at before in a way that really tied nicely with episode 4. This is one we’ll buy on blu Ray and watch again in the future. Likely right before Episode 4.

Wendelius

You can tell this is a “long long time ago” because they hadn’t invented hand-rails yet. I have to wonder how many poor Imperial techs and soldiers have died needlessly due to stumbling off the edge of something.

Heck, that’s like the control crew pits in the bridge of any Star Destroyer. You have to wonder how many times an Imperial Officer has stumbled into the control pit while reading some report.

The reason Tarkin wanted to not blow up the planet because he wanted to take credit for the Death Star so he couldn’t have it do anything until the Director, the guy who was in charge was out of the picture.

[quote=“Slumberland, post:11, topic:127573, full:true”]Somewhat cathartic to hear you all rag on this, as most I know loved it and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Bad characters, dialogue, performances, and yet scattered with some undeniably cool things (I could watch two hours straight of 3D star wars space battle, just strap the “camera” to a wing and go). I’m a huge fan of Force Awakens so was a little shellshocked by this.
[/quote]

Amen. You perfectly described my thoughts on the movie (and Force Awakens).

That’s the political aspect I left out when I was talking about the movie. I focused on the war politics, and I forgot the behind-the-scenes politics that so often influences war. I really loved that little moment when Tarkin makes it clear he’s basically going to take credit for everything that Director Krennic has done, now that it’s clear the weapon works. He is the very model of a military bureaucrat in that scene.

Unfortunately I lost that in the uncanny valley. I really wish they would have gone another way with the Tarkin character choice. Technology can only do so much. I suppose we’ll get past that–and every actor in the world is secretly terrified about that–but we’re not there yet.

-xtien

“I’ve never had the luxury of political opinions.”

Ha! That was great.