Qt3 Movie Podcast: Rogue One

I know! Can someone make a videogame and have Kelly do all the voice acting?

Dudes. Those were not katanas. They were the glow-sticks that are used to guide landing spaceships. That’s whose costume she swiped.

Oh man, that’s hilarious. That make her costume even dumber than I thought!

-Tom

Unbelievable. Your friends are nuts, or blind, or you saw Rogue One at a theater where they smeared a layer of vaseline on the screen.

BTW, here’s a still from the movie of Grand Moff Gollum. I mean Tarkin:

-Tom

OK, I haven’t had a chance to see this yet and probably won’t until the weekend but now I’m wondering - did Tarkin at least sound like Peter Cushing?

No345

-Tom

Haha, Kelly’s turning into Peter Sellers. Seriously excellent episode. Thanks all the laughs and thoughtful movie talk throughout 2016.

Someone will probably correct me on this, but did the Empire destroy it’s primary (only?) source of DeathPower Crystals by blowing up Jedha city for its wowbang demo?

They destroyed it because they were done pulling the crystals - the temple was now empty.

Well I’m glad the movie isn’t that stupid then.

I thought they got GMT/Cushing just about right; couldn’t complain about an uncanny valley myself despite knowing what it was.

The CGI young Leia on the other hand… /shudder

Shameless fanservices limited my enjoyment. Darth Vader joking and then being Predator 5 minutes before chronologically boarding another ship in a civilized maner. R2D2 and C3PO being out of place. Indeed glad they killed off everybody so no sequel. But what about prequels? will we have a drama about scientist and pilot finding each other in a totalitarian hell of Empire?.. Seriously, there are lots of things that are mentioned but not explained nor handwaved.

For the movie to truly be “gray” it’d have to be more consistent with Rebel Alliance bastard behaviour. We see Calrissian killing innocent guy at the beginning and being ready to shoot scientist, yes. But heroine never really cares about it enough. Was she supposed to care about Deathstar so much that she wanted to become Rebel even when Rebels wanted to kill her father and turned out to be cowards? Similarly, we hear about Empire bringing peace and order but nothing is shown about it.

It’s a standard ok movie that happened to exist in Star Wars universe.

I am so on team Dingus.

This is off-topic, but with X-Mas falling on Sunday do 3x3’s and thoughts about La La Land need to be submitted early?

Wow, the Grand Moff didn’t seem half as fake when I was watching the movie, that still looks like a clip from Robot Chicken.

Perhaps they were using the movie as a platform to gauge the effectiveness of the technology.

Also, does anyone know if there’s an in-universe explanation as to why they don’t just put hyperdrives on a bunch of asteroids to destroy cities and planets?

IRL it’s considered not effective. It’s hard to defend from a heavy object, yes, but the problem is getting the object to its destination. I suspect even the Death Star wouldn’t be enough to destroy a planet if you ram a planet with it, and it’s built with hyperdrives in mind. Throwing a big chunk of rock at a planet would require more engine power and probably not worth it.

Also Empire has the capacity to turn cities and planets to dust anyway. Death Star is about doing it with a single strike a la switch from WW2 terror bombing to nukes.

I don’t think you’re properly considering the energy of a [Relativistic Kill Vehicle] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_kill_vehicle). Even a baseball is pretty devastating at 0.9c.

I like your WW2 analogy.

Wow. I’ve never even understood how the Death Star even moves.

-xtien

“There are a lot of explosions for two people blending in.”

Ah, I misunderstood the intent. I thought you’re going to bring asteroid close to a planet then throw it at planet with thrusters. In Star Wars universe people use hyperdrive in space and as I understand it may not work when you do it near celestial bodies. Perhaps there’s something stopping you from attacking on hyperdrive speeds. Perhaps you just fly through stuff in hyperdrive?

In The Force Awakens, Han exits hyperspace closer than is normally safe, it made me wonder how much energy he could have delivered if he’d not pulled up.

Some more digging suggests that planetary destruction has occurred through a hyperspace accident. However this is now non-canon.