Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Commuter

Finally the movie in which Liam Neeson will take you to work!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/01/15/qt3-movie-podcast-commuter/

“I know a little German - he’s sitting over there.”

i know a little german

Nice!

As Dingus said on the podcast, “I am Spartacus.”

The Commuter is one of the cases were the trailer is largely responsible for me not watching the movie. It was shown prior pretty much every single movie I’ve seen in the past 3 months, and it seemed to contain all key scenes, including that stupid train sequence at the end. And I’m grateful for that. Had the trailer only contained the part where Vera Farmiga’s character makes the offer, I actually might have been intrigued.

I’ll comment, just to say I did watch this movie. Thanks, QT3 podcast!

Yes, they do use those zones on Metro North Rail. No, the Metro North doesn’t connect to the subway. Cold Springs is a neat town to visit up the Hudson River. I’ve gone hiking and camping up there, and one of my best friends almost died, stupidly rock climbing with no safety gear there, about 30 years ago. He’s fine now.

The Commuter wasn’t horrible, but I should’ve watched Three Billboards.

I just watched this tonight. The movie had a really interesting start that I’ve never seen before. It was an attempt to sort of summarize a person’s life that’s defined by daily routine, and yet, still has meaningful moments within those routines. I really thought that’s what the movie was about, especially after he takes the train and his fellow passenger makes the meta comment about their lives.

Of course, the movie then changes. And it instead becomes about a single commute. I’m a sucker for planes, trains and automobile movies of any kind, so I had a lot of fun watching this movie, even though the beginning was misleading and it made me pine for the movie we could have had. But still, on the train journey itself, they put enough red herrings out there that I was never really sure about a lot of reveals. The only reveal I was reasonably sure of was the identity of Prim. That one, I thought, was fairly obvious early on. But there were so many red herrings, I suddenly became sure that my “obvious” Prim was maybe also a red herring.

My only real beef with this movie is why they had to handle the train crash so poorly. If they wanted the train car to end up where it did, why didn’t they just devise a crash in which that could reasonably happen? Why create this elaborate crash where the physics looks so damn fake? It just makes no sense. They’re the ones setting up the scene, they could have done it any way they wanted.

Regardless, I got to watch a movie set on a train, so I’m a happy camper. Now I get to listen to the synopsis. Commutopsis?

Kellywand does a great Neeson.

RolandRock

-xtien

He really does. If you ever want to know what Liam Neeson would sound like in Lord of the Rings as Gollum, Kelly lets us know in this opsis.

Also, Kelly explains why The Scarlet Letter. I was wondering why that was significant. That’s hilarious. So apparently he was looking for Prynne, not Prim.

Can you help me understand this picture?

It looks like the incidental poker player from The Commuter posing with Dwayne Johnson. Were they in a movie together?

Yes. That is Roland Møller, who played Jackson in this movie. I put up that selfie of him with Dwayne Johnson because you just revived this thread, and as it happens we just did a podcast in which he appeared with Dwayne Johnson about a tall building with a ball on top.

He was also pretty great in Atomic Blonde, FWIW.

-xtien

“Let it burn.”