Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Lego Batman Movie

Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Lego Batman Movie This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/02/28/qt3-movie-podcast-lego-batman-movie/

Next week’s movie is Logan.

It was all a part of my plan to get jailed and then sent to the Phantom Zone.

Tom sold me on the movie with his dissing of the podcast circuit casting. Also I’m totally making him review “that Bojangles cartoon” for the next Patreon request.

Regarding studio execs thinking, Traveller’s Tales games and cheapness of animation…

Both Lego movies look like choppy stop-motion animation (even mouths are animated that way), except for the hands (toy hands are too limited) mini figures are solid in most of the cases. While in games they are properly smoothly animated (even mouths), their bodies, limbs are always bent, compressed or stretched like in traditional 3D animation.

My point is Lego movies look way, way more cheaper animated than games… and funnier too. Regarding mouths’ animations, they look the same in both Lego movies. My guess, you were misled by Emmet’s mini figure in the first film, he had classic simplified minimalistic Lego face, while other characters including Batman were way more expressive.

P.S: I enjoyed the movie very much, although The Lego Movie is my over.

I too would like to show my appreciation for @marquac. I’m going on the record: bloke’s awesome.

Thank you, Peter. There is actually going to be an update coming soon as I have fallen behind. I want to make sure everything is up to date for the big four-oh-oh in June.

You’re welcome, slave :winks:

“Love Is The Drug” is by Roxy Music.

I wasn’t as high on the movie as a whole as my email seems to have implied. The visual design was my one high point (and a few of the jokes about 60s Batman). Besides the comic book style detail, I was also very impressed with how much they were able to make the world and characters look like actual toys. Having not seen The LEGO Movie, though, I assume I’m behind the curve on that.

Overall, the narrative was fairly lame. Batman learned teamwork, like so many cartoon protagonists before him.

There sure were a lot of Batman references, covering the gamut of all Batmedia, except maybe video games?

I did like the bit where Batman said the bat shark repellent didn’t do anything.

Ha ha, you listened to an extensive discussion of Sucker Punch!

-Tom, newly appointed Sucker Punch apologist, pending Senate confirmation

Also worth noting, in reference to The Founder episode, McDonald’s is featuring LEGO Batman in their Happy Meals this month, and my son got a pretty dope pair of Batgirl glasses. My third favorite glasses from a movie.

Tom, I’m certain that when you were referencing the iconic voice of animated Batman, you mean to say Kevin Conroy and not Kevin Connolly, right? RIGHT?!?

Oops, I meant to say Kevin Corrigan:

-Tom

I thought he meant Kevin Costner.

-xtien

Now we need to hear Kelly’s “Kevin Costner Batman” voice.

Disappointing that nobody called Bible Scholar Tom Chick on his hilarious troll about “whore” not being used as a metaphor in the Bible / Old Testament. Metaphorically is, of course, just about the only way the word is used in the OT.

Interesting. I thought for sure I brought that up at some time or other, but we’ve discussed the subject of the objectionable Drax line (which I think @Soren_Hoglund answered as a callback without a setup) so many times, I might have brought it up before. Or maybe I just imagined I did.

The reason I say that is because I put a song called “Four Winds” by Bright Eyes on the new music mix for my son. That song has lyrics about the “Whore of Babylon” and it was kind of cool to break down that lyric for my kid. I figured I’d brought that up at some point, but I’m thinking I just planned to and never did.

-xtien

“If you burned them all together you’d get close to the truth”

I’m not the Bible scholar you take me for, because I don’t know what you’re talking about. But I always appreciate when someone gives me the benefit of the doubt by assuming I’m trolling when I say something dumb!

-Tom