Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Lobster

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Lobster
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When May 16, 2016

A comedy starring Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz that you might not think is funny. We're in textbook "not for everyone" territory here. At the 1:06 point, this week's 3x3 considers the incendiary topic of people walking away from explosions..

Read the full article

FINALLY! You guys review The Lobster, my favourite film of 2015, when I was fortunate enough to watch it in a London cinema. Having just downloaded it, I'm so looking forward to your discussion. Keep up the good work, love your podcast

For next week's 3x3 we are talking original compositions written for the movie, right?

Correct, yes! Not, for instance, Mark Mothersbaugh dredging up a bunch of old songs for a Wes Anderson movie or Scorcese using the Rolling Stones. It has to be a composed film score. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess Yakety Sax is out. Darn.

It's such a brilliant movie if you can buy into its particular weirdness. Which will be a big if for some people. I hope it does well for the distributor as it opens more widely. It's gotta be a tough sell.

Oh, The Lobster. Come December I'm sure this will win my award for 'Film most deleterious to my ability to feel that life is not that bad really'*. I mostly remember coming out of it totally resigned to dying alone (but I still really loved it). I thought there was a sort of tightness to the first half that falls away during the second half (are these comments spoiler territory?). But I loved how Lanthimos and Filippou started out with the basic premise, and grew it and grew it and grew it over and over, extending the concept further and further, without losing the story of the characters. It felt like a really strong set of stand-up comedy, but with a love story built in as well.

The best films are probably often the ones that leave you feeling a bit damaged when you finish watching them, right?

*So far, the 'Film that made me feel like life is going to be OK' award goes to Everybody Wants Some!!! - are you guys going to see it? It's got a UK release now, don't know if that means it will make its way to Hamburg soon as well...

Nothing can be wrong with a Three by Three that includes X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Eraser.

Love that comment about the best films leaving you feel a bit damaged.

Man, I have a hard time getting excited about a Linklater movie after the seven hour running time of Boyhood. Everybody Wants Some seems like another Dazed and Confused, and with a cast with no names, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to want to see it. I mean, I will eventually, but at this point, it feels like a bit of a chore movie. Glad to hear you recommend it, though. That's the sort of little push I probably need.

It's way, way more charming / fun than Dazed & Confused (which I only saw recently, and liked well enough, but wasn't all that into). I hated Waking Life and loved the Before trilogy, haven't seen Boyhood.

After a week of mainlining all his stuff, I get the impression that Linklater is bad when he goes off the deep end and makes actors recite essays in the form of monologues or socratic dialogues (Waking Life), but he's [Linklater's] good when he comes in with a script roomy enough to sort of catalyse chemistry between actors (Before Sunrise) and lets the cast get on with working with each other. I think EWS is in that latter category, but I'm also a sucker for the type of movie that it is so I'd be interested to hear The Three Fates talk it out on the podcast at some point!

Just started listening and HOLY SHIT TOM USED BRENDAN BENSON FOR THE OPENING BUMPER MUSIC. Ok, I'm all better now. Going to go listen for realsies.

Olivia Colman is a fixture over here on UK TV, but you probably know her best as the voice of Tom Hardy's pregnant gf in Locke.

I know it's been two months since this review went live, but the film finally made it to a cinema here in San Diego. I kind of hated it. I don't like the cynicism and anger in the film, though maybe because it struck a little too close to home. I think it tries too hard to be clever and was never as funny as it seemed to want to be. I'm not sad it exists, because we need more interesting films. I'd be curious to see you guys do a compare and contrast with Swiss Army Man, which covers some of the same ground, but isn't as darkly cynical.

I saw the first half of this movie on Sunday, and the second half yesterday. I loved it. I think I loved the first half more. It has a certain meanness and menace that gets tempered a bit in the second half. The second half also introduces a new character who was very interesting though.

One thing I’m surprised we never go back to: he turns the psychopath lady into an animal, but we never get a call back. We never see what animal he turns her into.