Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Predator

Shoot, Poe’s Law rears its ugly head again.

I was trying to say that the best way to emphasize the death of a major character in a movie is to have it happen in a dark, smoky scene in a forest at night in the shadows, immediately cut away after it happens, and then never ever cut back to the body or have anyone mention it.

And by that I mean, it’s NOT an effective way to emphasize the death of a major character.

(Although I do think it was ironic that the guy was all gung-ho about the Predator’s weapons, then shot himself because he turned his head too far.)

I’m an idiot! Sorry, Andy.

-xtien

Completely understandable! I knew the risk I was taking by my unlicensed use of sarcasm.

But seriously, I was discussing it with my son afterwards, and it really was a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment. I can’t even comprehend how badly that was edited.

I endorse the unlicensed use of sarcasm.

-xtien

Lucky for me that I read the comments section here before I went to see the movie and was anticipating something happening to “Traeger” (but I was hearing “Frasier” the whole time). I will say that while I enjoyed the movie, everything you listed as a problem with that scene I agree with completely. It just seems like such a waste for what I consider to be an otherwise funny/clever end to the “villian.”

Movie Bob made a video about the Predator, I like the part where he’s explaining who the predator really is. It’s extremely funny and aligned with Kelly Wand’s point that all predators suck as brave and noble warriors/hunters.

This part cracked me up: His kids don’t respect him… his daughter’s like a vegetarian, she goes out and marches about xenomorph preservation.

Anyway, the movie screams studio interference. There is a good Shane Black’s movie hidden somewhere in there. But an attempt to change it during reshoots, to make it as short as possible to have more screenings is extremley obvious to me and ruins everything. It’s Suicide Squad, but with a script or Alien 3 without strong visuals.

Best self inflicted headshot in a movie this year ! (Thus far.)
Mayb a clue as to how those 'suicides by headshot to the back of the head occur - HOLLYWOOD KNOWS !)